Unable to rebuild my Surface Pro 4 :(

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I am in a pickle...

I own a Surface Pro 4. It was updated to the 'October Update', with all relevant driver/firmware updates that get pushed to the device.

However, the other day the device crashed. I think am update was trying to get installed and my son inadvertently forced a shutdown... so I ma in the process of rebuilding/reinstalling everything.

* My starting point is the 'restore image' off the Microsoft Surface support site.
* I then wait for Windows update to download whatever it thinks my device needs.
* I have not installed any third party software.

However, its not downloading the latest/September driver updates... as such:
* Windows does not shutdown via the Windows button.
* I have to lock the screen, to then select shutdown from that screen.
* It always bluescreens when trying to shutdown.
* Also seems really slow booting up.

What should I do?

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Force shutdown by holding power for like 30 secs or so. Then when it reboots, hold volume up and keep holding it. Then u'll get to the "I am in trouble" menu. From there navigate to Restore, and then do a refresh windows without keeping files. If that solution fails, then download Win 10 from MSFT, and repeating these steps u'll get to a part where it says reinstall from USB. Simple as that.

anon(6098928)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your help... seems to have worked :)

Only issue now is that sometimes my computer will not shutdown/respond to the shutdown request from the 'Windows Logo'... no idea whats going on there. I have to lock the screen and then shutdown that way :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon