Bugs and Defects Thread - Surface Pro 3

Aeons

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Btw its a lot worse when the charger is plugged in.

Its actually so annoying now, I'm thinking of returning the SP3. I use my headphones most of the time and this static noise is driving me crazy.

I'm having problems with severe static noise when using my Bose headphones. Headphones work flawlessly with my MacBook Pro Retina, iPhone, iPad and xperia z2 devices.

On the SP3 is seems to cut in and out randomly, very annoying.

Anyone else experience this?

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I've had the surface for a week and due to my awful habits and awful school bag it has a few scratches on the back :(
They are not hugely significant, but are noticable when looking closely and I was wondering if I can remove them or at least hide them a little bit

BU2B2

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a thin blue strip running down one of the sides of your device? On the bottom side (when horizontal) an left (when holding vertically) there's a thin blue tint on my Pro 3. It's annoying when reading a website while holding the device vertically.

I think I will contact MS support and see what they have to say.

Bill Mitchell

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My first SP3 had a yellow smudge down the left hand side and well as significantly light bleed on the right. I personally believe these are signs of gluing issues. Exchanged it for another one and fortunately this model has no yellow smudge and no light bleed.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Bought four SP3 256GB's for office workers. One does not show the correct menu under Devices -> Project. it goes directly to the second screen menu without giving the option to add a wireless display.

All of them have slow wifi limited to 70Megabit even when connected to a 5ghz only SSID at 270Mbps. Speed is even worse on a shared frequency SSID running 2.5/5ghz, the SP3 will always lock on to 2.5 and get around 10megabit.

deckem

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Got my Pro 3 a week ago. Works great. Here's the issue (for which I will exchange it today):

The silver case sticks out slightly on three sides, where the black bezel meets he casing. It's very noticeable and only the top (where the camera is) seems to be flush with the case (like on other Surfaces). Called MS and they said to exchange it but that they've never heard of this before.

I actually thought this was a feature until I realized that only three sized had a 'raised' casing. If all four sides were a little raised then one could put the Surface, screen down, on a table and it the glass would not make contact. As it stands with this defect, the top of the screen where the camera is will always make contact while the rest of the screen will be protected by the defect.

yts007

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Dear ,

Hi ,

I've seen your complain regarding the blue hue in your screen,
what didi you do regarding it , did you get the device replaced ,

For me i can see it only while there is a white background , but actually i'm away from usa and it's not easy to get mine replace as of now ,

so i wanna confirm with you , if you get it replaced and did the new device has the same issue or there is no issues at all,

because for some how i feel it can be normal !!

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I bought surface pro 3 one week ago and I have a question for you. My surface pro 3 fan has so weird buzzy noise.
Look here: please read descriptions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYRN8YRFyU (camera: Nokia Lumia 820)
And here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTpVpTkWNU (Surface's own microphone)

I'm asking you. Is it normal? or is it defective product? Pls reply, and thank you!

Model: Surface Pro 3 128GB Intel i5

Last edited:

InfiniteRefrain

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My second one just arrived to day - personal use for this one. I have encountered a weird bug with Update & Recovery in PC Settings - when trying to check for updates via: Charm - Settings - Change PC Settings - Update & Recovery the settings UI force closes. This is after restarts & full shut down and reboot. It only affects the Windows Update portion because I get the backdoor access via the Recovery Control Panel; but once I try and use Windows Update from there if force closes again.

I am currently running Windows Update via the Control Panel so I have hoping that will correct the issue. The only thing I had done prior to running the next series of updates in uninstall the pre-loaded Office so I could install my Volume License copy. I will update after I get this stage completed. I am hoping that I do not have to wipe the system and start all over again.:D

** Update ** After completing the updates through the Control Panel everything is now back to normal.

Last edited:

NYKnicks6000

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Defect:
Mouse isn't working properly on Windows Surface Pro 3

Detail:
I am unable to see mouse cursor on Windows desktop mode. This happens whenever I detach the unit from the keyboard and reattach it again to the keyboard.

If i restart the device, the mouse works again but I lose all my work which is an annoyance.

Cruxiaer

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Samsung released a new firmware update for all SP3 that uses Samsung SSD but somehow Samsung pulled it off their site for time being.

Just Google Surface Pro 3 slow SSD write / read for more info.

Richard_Indy

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have had SP3 for about 4.5 months. I am returning it to MS support for a replacement SP3 because my sound card took a nose dive. I wish it didn't of course, is especially because I'm deployed. Arrgggg. Getting an empty box sent to me via an APO AE address will prolong the whole situation but they are going to send me a new one once they receive mine.

Darren Lay

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend has experienced a reoccurring issue with her SP3. The first incident occurred on January 14. As she was typing her homework assignment, the computer froze, the top of the screen turned staticy, and the time at the bottom split to the other side of the screen. She had to reset the device by holding down the power button. She took the following snapshot as it glitched:

V__6C42.jpg

The second incident occurred today as she was browsing the web. Notice top of the screen.

V__3D57.jpg

Might this be an overheating issue? Should we exchange it for a new one?

Jon Maki

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Defect:
Sorry if this is repeated, but I didn't see it anywhere, which is why I wanted to mention it - I didn't find much about the issue online anywhere, which is hopefully a good sign that it's not a widespread issue..
Anyway, if your SP3 suddenly becomes unable to see available wireless networks and Bluetooth stops working - you'll notice that the top button click no longer does anything, and Bluetooth isn't listed in Device Manager - the Wireless Adapter is defective and you'll need to exchange your SP3 for a new one.
You'll probably also see "Unknown USB Device" with an exclamation point in Device Manager. Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into the problem avoid fruitless hours sifting through search results (most of which have nothing to do with the SP3, regardless of how well you restrict your search) and having support try to walk you through software-based troubleshooting.

YurmaSter74

May 14, 2015
Visit site
GRAPHIC APPLICATION BASED OPINION
I'm into heavy graphics applications: 3DS Max, Adobe Creative Suite, and related things. The drawing aspect of the SP3 combined with the i7 8gb tablet features hooked me. So most of my comments will be related to this specific field and how SP3 falls short for me.

1. Workflow Issues: Wireless Mouse instability with 3.0 Hub + storage device (external HD or thumb drives), Pen inconsistency, lag or strange screen refresh rate in 3DS max, overheating and performance loss.
Wireless Mouse (bluetooth and dongle) has been addressed by me digging up an old line connected mouse.
Pen Inconsistency normally handled with me clicking the back button to open up OneNote. But the pen isn't sensitive enough for any real consistent line quality control.
Graphics Card is barely decent enough to handle what I want to do. I knew this when I bought so I can't complain too much. However, I would like if I could upgrade to a better video card, or maybe I'll experiment with an external graphics card.
Overheating - does seem to slow the SP3 down, so I use an Arctic USB fan that I use anytime I'm doing graphic based work.

Bugs:
Hibernation - recently I am having serious problems waking my SP3 from hibernation. I normally disconnect all cables, and play with the power button, windows icon, keyboard.. but many times I have to do a hard boot (hold down power button for a while).

I do like the SP3 but it was definitely designed for the office worker. A version made for a graphic used would be a happy day for me.

Sincerely,
Hopeless SP3 Romantic

andrantos

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I recently had to exchange an almost year old SP3 for a new one due to a display that was starting to yellow. It started off as a slow growing 'stain' in the far left of the display in landscape and slowly grew vertically, along the bevel.

Thankfully, I was within warranty and a new device was exchanged. Microsoft Support made this process exceptionally painless - which was much appreciated. I had originally reached out via their online chat system and was offered a couple of shipping options (advance and standard).

When I noted that there was a Microsoft store in my area, they also gave me the option of exchanging it in person - which is what I opted for since I would be able to look at the replacement in the presence of Microsoft team members (who were also exceptionally friendly and personable).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes