Surface Pro 3 Plus

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
So it occurs to me that since the new surface pen appears to be backwards compatible along with the new type cover, that there seems to be a $220ish upgrade available now for SP3 owners. I myself am a college student and though I could sell my current SP3 arsenal to upgrade, I'm pretty satisfied at the moment and am seriously considering turning my Surface Pro 3 into a SP3+ instead of getting an SP4. Assuming firmware follows, is anyone else planning to do the same?

I'm very excited, and assuming both are truly backwards compatible I think Microsoft could even advertise the fact.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that the new pen will not stick to the side of the SP3 like it does on the SP4. I tried that out yesterday night at the MSFT store.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

Though it occurs to me that as SP3 owners we weren't used to that anyway. What I would be interested to know is what features do carry over? Firmware will probably seamlessly do the eraser and button, but I'm not sure that the pressure points increase is all in the pen. Latency, etc.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
According to the rep at our local Microsoft Store, the pen is 100% backwards compatible and is fully functional (erasure and all). He also said that the SP4 is the same physical size as the SP3. I had my SP3 with me and sure enough, the new SP4 keyboard fit perfectly, and worked! He also said that the fingerprint reader will also work, since that is a Windows 10 thing and not specific to the SP4.

So if you want some of the bennies like the new keyboard and pen, then you are in luck. I am looking at upgrading my keyboard. I like the Chiclet style keyboard. It has a better feel to it, IMO.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I only recently got a Surface Pro 3 (on the cheap!) but I've been using the keyboard from my old Surface RT as I've not wanted to buy a new one until the new stuff was released. If the Pro 4's keyboard works with the Pro 3, is it worth ordering that over the normal Pro 3 one? Do all versions of the Pro 4 keyboard have the fingerprint reader?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
So it occurs to me that since the new surface pen appears to be backwards compatible along with the new type cover, that there seems to be a $220ish upgrade available now for SP3 owners. I myself am a college student and though I could sell my current SP3 arsenal to upgrade, I'm pretty satisfied at the moment and am seriously considering turning my Surface Pro 3 into a SP3+ instead of getting an SP4. Assuming firmware follows, is anyone else planning to do the same?

I'm very excited, and assuming both are truly backwards compatible I think Microsoft could even advertise the fact.

I've already ppreordered both. My plan is to ha e the new pen and keyboard until I decide to upgrade to either the SP4 or Surface Book.

MBSMD

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ordered a new Type Cover. Debating about the new pen. Does it fit in the "loop" thing one can stick to the keyboard?

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to guess so as both the Pro 3 and Pro 4 type covers have the same footprint. Now you've mentioned it, I wonder if the new pen will be able to work with the pen loop...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I picked up the new SP4 pen and it IS 100% compatible. Even the button that doubles as an erasure works perfectly. It comes with a pack of four tips that gives you different writing friction. I chose the high friction tip because, for me that is the optimal feedback that works best for me.

I can also personally attest to the keyboard. I tested one out on my SP3 at the Microsoft store and it fit perfectly. The SP4's overall dimensions are the same as the SP3. Microsoft used a smaller bezel that is why the SP4 has a larger display. I wanted to get the new keyboard, but the color I wanted (cyan) was sold out.

P.S. The magnetic strip on the new pen also sticks pretty well on the side of the SP3; where the power cord attaches.

The new Surface dock is also 100% compatible with the SP3 as well.

Microsoft has done well in how it did the SP4 without disenfranchising its SP3 users.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ordered a new Type Cover. Debating about the new pen. Does it fit in the "loop" thing one can stick to the keyboard?

I have the new pen, and it is a little longer (by about 1/4" or so), but it looks to be the same circumference. I don't use the pen loop though, so I didn't try it.

Drayk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an SP3 and purchased the SP4 pen and keyboard, as well as a pen loop. All works flawlessly.
I stuck the loop on the back of the keyboard and put a little weight on it for about a 1/2 hour. Works great & holds the SP4 pen well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2