New SP4, very SLOW update!

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I just got my SP4 today! A big upgrade from my SP2... Anyways, I told it to update to Threshold 1, and it's been going up VERY slowly! Like every 20 minutes 1%...

Is this normal? :-\ My SP2 updated in a total of 30 minutes, and my partner's SP3 updated in roughly the same time (all I5s) and my desktop did it in half the time as the SP2/3...

Attachments

• 20151119_134909.jpg
    20151119_134909.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, that was a long time... it did it, and every time I said "it has 1 minute to move to the next %, and if it doesn't, I'm going to shut it down" and it moved! Damn thing! haha. In the end it went through and took a little more than an hour... 45-50 minutes were the first 12%, then it went "flying" lol

All's good now :)

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
yes, in total was a bit over an hour for me too to get to 10586.11. Could be that since today way the first SP4 day in some Euro countries the whole process was slower. But now is up and running, so far no weird problems but have not tested the battery life yet I'm still installing the programs and such.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It can't be downloading or connecting to anything on that black screen. It must have downloaded beforehand. I can confirm that it downloaded relatively quickly, but usually in updates my SP2's fan turned on... Not the case with my SP4. It just stayed ultra cool and took its sweet time :p Haha.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the device except for the crashes I've found.

I connect to a projector for work and when I disconnected the device froze, and I had to hold the power button for 30 seconds. This has happened a few times, too, without the projector when the screen doesn't turn on! Even though the iris scanner does come on.

The sleep bug! My device stays very cool 90% of the time. But when I put it to sleep it gets super warm and I lose a lot of battery life; so I've been shutting down, which isn't a solution really seeing that I need to keep my applications open. I hope they fix THIS soon! Because it kind of eliminates the point of an ultra portable device if I can't put it to sleep and flip open the keyboard and continue if my battery loses 20% of its charge in a short while. On a positive note, it will be good for these winter months haha.

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
This has happened a few times, too, without the projector when the screen doesn't turn on! Even though the iris scanner does come on.

I had this black screen thing too, what I did is change hibernate option to never in both on battery and plugged in and so far it did not do that. You have to go to Power and sleep settings/Additional power settings/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings - then in the small window that pops up click the Change settings that are currently unavailable and then in the Sleep menu set Hibernate after to Never in both cases.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I had this black screen thing too, what I did is change hibernate option to never in both on battery and plugged in and so far it did not do that. You have to go to Power and sleep settings/Additional power settings/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings - then in the small window that pops up click the Change settings that are currently unavailable and then in the Sleep menu set Hibernate after to Never in both cases.

And this happened to you even when it hadn't had time to hibernate? Sometimes I just close the lid for 10 minutes, and then move somewhere else, and I had it happen twice yesterday. There is no way I can go 2 hours without the computer (surface in this case) during work periods with the screen on. At most, maybe 20 minutes.

Regardless, I'm going to give your suggestion a go. I'll post back if I get any more black screens. Haha.

I did run into a strange issue. The brick charger has a USB port to charge devices. I tried it with my phone, and it works like a charm. I plugged in my Android tablet and the brick stopped charging my Surface, in fact, the plug started to blink. All the while my tablet wasn't receiving a charge either...

Any thoughts to this last one?

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes it was happening like in our case not even 10 minutes after putting it to sleep. But still hasn't happened since I changed that (I found that suggestion while googling the problem).
For the USB charging I don't know, I only have a kindle and a Lumia 640 and they charge from the brick. Maybe the android tablet needs more power than the brick can give while charging also the surface?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon