Fan noise on pro 4

refishafi

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I know a number of posts are floating around about how often the fan starts up on the Pro 4, and mine (core i7 version) is no different, it kicks in even when opening a browser such as chrome or edge with nothing else! I am hoping some future update will go some way in resolving that

However, the high pitched sound that is emitted when the fan kicks in is driving me mad... the pro 3 fan did not have the same noise. Is this something that other users have experienced or is it a possible hardware problem on my unit?

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a i5 and when the fan kicks in (playing WoW for example) its more like a soft whisper.
It never kicks in for me unless i use it heavy.
Like playing games and such.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
There is not a fanless version with i5 or i7.
So your comment is irrelevant.

Not really a SP4 is a SP4 all are pro all are surfaces with same feature set, OP was complaining about fan noise. Perhaps he was unaware of a fan-less version. Easy way to get rid of hummingbird noise fan is not to have one. Just sayin'

What is this the third or fourth fan noise thread?

Grimmric

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Not really a SP4 is a SP4 all are pro all are surfaces with same feature set, OP was complaining about fan noise. Perhaps he was unaware of a fan-less version. Easy way to get rid of hummingbird noise fan is not to have one. Just sayin'

OP was wondering if the fan noice was normal or maybe a faulty fan.
So your referens to a fanless SP4 is still not relevant for him.

refishafi

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
would appreciate a simple answer to my original question rather than yet another fruitless debate about the pros and cons of the core-m as opposed to the core-i family :)

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Gave you an answer to your issue. Fan noise is normal especially with tiny hi speed fans! but we all know that already right? No fan guess what ? No noise.

OP "best solution" so far if you insist on keeping a fan, go tweak in power settings (multiple threads here on that tweak) there are those that claim running your cpu at 50% will eliminate fan noise if you insist on keeping a a tiny high speed fan. Your i7 surface is acting normal. i series NEED a fan.

Can we please end all the noisy SP4 fan threads and have JUST ONE for those that insist on buying surfaces with fans and whining about it? They are clogging up the forum.

This thread: Fan noise on pro 4

Other threads on EXACT same issue (The fan)

NO MORE THROTTLLE OR FANS surface pro 3/4
passive cooling?
Annoying Fan
returned to a burning hot surface
Heat and Fan on the SP4
Fan Noise (i5) - Which Usage Scenarios Trigger the Fan to Come on?
I turned back my i5 version and considering the m3 version
Should I return my i5 for an M3 model?

That's just going back a few pages. Fans make noise people. Get used to it OR avoid it. Simple.

Last edited:

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Word of advice to anyone else entering this thread as Boltman seems to be trolling any i5 & i7 thread with mentions of "fan" issues with M3 debates...

IGNORE HIM

Dix Laughlin

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
OP, I'm thinking you must have a defective unit. I wouldn't put up with that noise. I have the i5, 8 gig and my fan comes on <5% of the time and when it does it is a non-aversive whisper that usually fades pretty quickly--and I am someone who hates fan noise! All in all, this i5 has been fast, smooth, and silent.

sjaduae

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Other than the initial 1st few days of updates/loading/Indexing my I7 is silent for normal day to day activities. It took a good 4 days to settle down and background maintenance etc to stop excessive CPU/Disk usage, but the fan when on is a very quite hiss

Steveborough

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The issue is not whether or not fans make noise, it is why does a SP4 i5/i7 fan frequently turn on when the system is barely tasked. Moreover, as some people report that their fans rarely turn on, others (like myself) have experienced quite the opposite while the device is barely doing anything (mine's on right now just writing this) This begs the question, do some of us have faulty devices; an urgent matter when facing 30 day return windows.

Lastly, you must realize the vast performance differences between the processors; for many, the m3 is not an option.

refishafi

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
cool - i think i'll phone ms support and try and arrange a replacement - my fan comes on frequently, which is annoying enough but I could put up with that if the sound of the fan was just a whisper as others have reported. However, mine is a whine... so much so that it comes on just playing netflix and I have to turn the volume up or headphones on to drown out the sound!

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I know a number of posts are floating around about how often the fan starts up on the Pro 4, and mine (core i7 version) is no different, it kicks in even when opening a browser such as chrome or edge with nothing else! I am hoping some future update will go some way in resolving that

However, the high pitched sound that is emitted when the fan kicks in is driving me mad... the pro 3 fan did not have the same noise. Is this something that other users have experienced or is it a possible hardware problem on my unit?

Here :) this should help as well as getting it replaced http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...no-more-throttlle-fans-surface-pro-3-4-a.html

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
If there's a high pitch sound or whatever other sound that you think it shouldn't be there then it's very likely that the unit has a defect and it should be exchanged. The few times the fan came on on mine it was just fan noise, only audible in a dead silent room and fairly quiet.

Misterb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site

Easy way to get rid of a slow SP4, with low storage space, is to get an i5 or i7. Just sayin'

You really need to get a life, and take your meds. How many people does it take to call you out for your strange behavior, before you quit parroting the same OCD rants?

krabby

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Easy way to get rid of a slow SP4, with low storage space, is to get an i5 or i7. Just sayin'

You really need to get a life, and take your meds. How many people does it take to call you out for your strange behavior, before you quit parroting the same OCD rants?

Agree, he has some good points at times but doesn't recognize the difference between his opinion and objective fact. I'm surprised moderation hasn't stepped in and done something about his posting behaviours which would have usually been curbed at this point on most forums I've frequented.

As to the thread, I seldom get fan noise in light use such as web browsing and then only when running multiple tabs. That sound is usually so low that it normally sneaks up on me even in a quiet setting, in other words when I notice it I usually realize that it has been going for a while but I had just then become aware. I never get a high pitched fan sound, or at least something I would describe as high pitched, mine is more like a low "woosh" sound.

sjaduae

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Agree, he has some good points at times but doesn't recognize the difference between his opinion and objective fact. I'm surprised moderation hasn't stepped in and done something about his posting behaviours which would have usually been curbed at this point on most forums I've frequented. .

He's tiresome to most not rude or abusive, he's happy with his wall flower where most of us want the prom queen or at least her good looking mate, that's all :)

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I got my Surface now for 3 days, i5, 8GB model, and was worried that the fan doesn't even work, never kicked in. This thing just turned on and is really quiet in full throttle :) Awesome piece of work by MS :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo