Surface pro 3: Very slow saving files on wired network, problem not on WiFi?

ppjphillips

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Surface Pro 3 for over a year now and I have always had this problem.

When I connect to the wired network at work using the dock, I have full internet access and can read files from my network drive, however everything hangs when I try to save a file, or create a new file. This is the case in any software (Word or other software). In Word, for example, I get the 'Saving as...' dialog box with the green bar that appears and stays for 5-10 minutes. Eventually the file is sometimes saved. It doesn't matter when it is a big file or a small file.

The same problem occurs with the surface Pro 3 dock, the USB network adaptor, and also an off-brand USB network adaptor. I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in the hope this problem would disappear, but it remains! Our IT person did 'return to factory settings' before upgrading to Windows 10, so it isn't anything else that's been installed

If I connect to our work network via WiFi, I have no such problems and can read and save files with no problem. This has been my solution, but only temporary as it means I'm not logged onto our domain and therefore can't print, access intranet, etc.

All updates have been installed. I've tried uninstalling the ethernet adaptor and reinstalling the latest version with no joy.

I have a Surface Pro 3, i7 64-bit processor, 8GB RAM.

I've followed these instructions for a similar problem, but also no joy (Google: Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 Docking Station Network Problem: SOLVED!)

It's not the network cable as I can plug it into another laptop with no problems.

Can anyone help?

Any help gratefully received,

Patrick

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Surface Pro 3 for over a year now and I have always had this problem.

When I connect to the wired network at work using the dock, I have full internet access and can read files from my network drive, however everything hangs when I try to save a file, or create a new file. This is the case in any software (Word or other software). In Word, for example, I get the 'Saving as...' dialog box with the green bar that appears and stays for 5-10 minutes. Eventually the file is sometimes saved. It doesn't matter when it is a big file or a small file.

The same problem occurs with the surface Pro 3 dock, the USB network adaptor, and also an off-brand USB network adaptor. I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in the hope this problem would disappear, but it remains! Our IT person did 'return to factory settings' before upgrading to Windows 10, so it isn't anything else that's been installed

If I connect to our work network via WiFi, I have no such problems and can read and save files with no problem. This has been my solution, but only temporary as it means I'm not logged onto our domain and therefore can't print, access intranet, etc.

All updates have been installed. I've tried uninstalling the ethernet adaptor and reinstalling the latest version with no joy.

I have a Surface Pro 3, i7 64-bit processor, 8GB RAM.

I've followed these instructions for a similar problem, but also no joy (Google: Windows 10 Surface Pro 3 Docking Station Network Problem: SOLVED!)

It's not the network cable as I can plug it into another laptop with no problems.

Can anyone help?

Any help gratefully received,

Patrick

Is your intranet using MAC filtering? The SP3 Dock as a different MAC address than the SP3 itself and therefore treated as a separate device. Also, check your policies (or have your IT guy check). If you can read files, but not write back to the file share then you have a permissions/network policies issue, not a hardware issue.

Another possibility is that there is an IP conflict. However, based on what you're saying that would seem unlikely and I would check network permissions/policies first.

Last edited:

ppjphillips

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that reply.

No, there is no MAC filtering, any device can connect. Again, not a network issue as it works fine when connected to WiFi, and the same network cable works fine with no problem on another machine.

Must be something to do with the network adaptor itself? But same problem persists if I used a USB network dongle, and has continued from Win 8.1 to Win 10!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that reply.

No, there is no MAC filtering, any device can connect. Again, not a network issue as it works fine when connected to WiFi, and the same network cable works fine with no problem on another machine.

Must be something to do with the network adaptor itself? But same problem persists if I used a USB network dongle, and has continued from Win 8.1 to Win 10!

I still don't think it is hardware related nor and OS issue. Especially since you are having the same problem with both the SP3 dock and a USB network adapter and you've connected via Wifi. You've also ruled out the cable. It is possible you could be having driver issues.

There are other possibilities. It could possibly be an IP conflict (Windows isn't always reliable in reporting IP conflicts). It could be network related (i.e. not enough IP addresses available for usage) or even a local machine policy issue.

Try changing the your SP3's wired settings to the same settings as the laptop that works (with the laptop not connected of course), and see what happens.

You could also use the ipconfig command to release and renew the wired adapters IP lease. You could also use the netsh command to flush your ARP tables.

P.S. If your IT guys ok's it, use a network monitoring program like Wireshark (it's free) Install and run it. It can tell you a lot about what is going on with the network. Run it on a separate system though.

ppjphillips

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Very helpful, thanks.

I've unistalled and reinstalled latest network adaptor drivers, etc. with no joy, but I'll try your other suggestions.

I have a feeling that it might be a local machine policy issue. Mine is one of the few Win 8.1 machines on our network (perhaps the only one?), and now the only Win 10 machine - all the others are Win 7. It might be a local policy that is fine on Win 7, but not Win 8.1 or Win 10. Any ideas what it might be that I could take to our IT group?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's possible that it's a policy problem because of OS; especially, if you are the only Win10 system in use. It's strange that you are the only Win10 user in your company.

When you use the term "network drive", I presume you are meaning a file server on the domain with one or more file shares. That is not always the case of what a "network drive" is.

A network drive can be a file server within the domain, a separate device connected to the network (i.e. a NAS), or a portable drive with WiFi/network capabilities?

Ask your IT guys to check network policies to ensure that it allows Windows 8.1 and 10, specifically the file server. Also, ask them to double check the read/write permissions on the your network drive and check to see if your network drive is on the same domain as the wired LAN as trusted device.

The fact that you can access your network drive while using a WiFi connection and not access printers and intranet resources is strange, and it is NOT a hardware problem. The same goes for using the wired LAN, where you can access printers and intranet resources but have network drive access issues. The fact that you have internet access is largely irrelevant, because that is (or should be) a separate server.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven