Surface Pro needs a 15-16 in version

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Seriously.

Anyone noticed how awkward the Surface Dial looked in the launch video when placed on the Surface Pro's screen? It ate up too much precious screen space.

The 12.3 in size of the Surface Pro 4/Pro is all well and good for most people but if they really want to target professional artists and creatives, they need a much bigger screen. You need space when sketching - lots of it. A small screen is awkward and makes everything feel truncated even when they're not.

I hope they're only holding off until they can get the weight down to where it would make sense. It's important that such a Surface would still be easily mobile after all. Otherwise you may as well stick with a Surface Studio.

Panos, if you're reading this, I hope to see a 15 in version by the next generation. I guarantee that would be the ultimate mobile sketchpad for designers and artists. Get working on it.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I would never want a 15" tablet... that is crazy big and would be a bear to hold. I believe the better solution is to create a Dial that is half the diameter of the one for the Surface Studio... same function but just smaller circle. I would buy one of those.

blevok

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe their folding screen patents will come into play with a larger screen surface tablet...
But i agree with convergent, i'd never want to carry around a 15" tablet. I don't even want 12" really, i'm hoping for a 9-10" mini. And a mini dial would be cool with that, because i definitely see that problem with the full-size dial even on a 12".

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
@convergent I disagree. I grant you that with current tech a 15 in tablet would be heavy but I believe it's possible future innovations could make them light enough. I know a lot designers who would kill for a device like this. Fact is, for creative work you need a lot of real estate. Space is king and while the Surface Studio exists, there is also a need for a mobile device that you can take with you and sketch on as inspiration strikes.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If MS were to release a 15" Surface pro someone, somewhere, would then jump on shouting, "MS NEEDS to release a 17" Pro as well as a 7" pro!"

You simply cannot win. MS has done their homework and know that 12.3" will sell. As it has done.

For everyone else there IS the Surface Book as well as connecting your tablet to an external touch screen.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I don't think a Surface Pro would be a good design with that size screen, I think a larger Surface Book would make more sense, but that is just my opinion.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Surface Pro line, in my opinion, has always been about versatility without sacrificing mobility/portability. The current size hits that sweet spot. However, I agree that there are a lot of folks who would benefit from a larger screen real estate. Perhaps, like you said, technological advancements would allow for a larger screen size without sacrificing portability.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think a 15 inch version would be that great but I would definitely like to see a surface pro with a 13 or 13.5 inch version. the 12.3 inch screen sometimes feels small

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Surface Dial looks too big on the 2017 SP. It takes up space, maybe, but remember that you can use it on any surface (no pun intended), and that MS added the on-screen capability from user feedback. I, for one, think Microsoft would have been stupid for not including it, since the SP is a much loved device for artists on the go, and now with the new 4096-level pen with tilt, it's only logical to include the full capability of Surface Dial too.

jmork

May 23, 2017
Visit site
As a visual artist and musician, Im totally in on the 15 inch size. 12.3 inch screen sucks for productivity. A 15 inch surface could be thinner but still have a bigger battery. The bottom line is that I generally dont hold my surface in my hands only that much, so it being a little heavier and larger wouldnt be a problem, but just allow for more productivity. Sad it will never happen though :(

I dont know why computer companies havent tried this. A 15 inch surface would be so slick They started to play around with battery powered all in ones, but never really developed them (dell xps18 and acer z3-700). I wish PC manufacturers were experimenting a bit more....

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I don't think the Surface Dial looks too big on the 2017 SP. It takes up space, maybe, but remember that you can use it on any surface (no pun intended), and that MS added the on-screen capability from user feedback. I, for one, think Microsoft would have been stupid for not including it, since the SP is a much loved device for artists on the go, and now with the new 4096-level pen with tilt, it's only logical to include the full capability of Surface Dial too.

I'm glad they support the dial, but still think they should produce one that is 1/2 the diameter for use on mobile devices. It doesn't need to be that big to work effectively.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
As a visual artist and musician, Im totally in on the 15 inch size. 12.3 inch screen sucks for productivity. A 15 inch surface could be thinner but still have a bigger battery. The bottom line is that I generally dont hold my surface in my hands only that much, so it being a little heavier and larger wouldnt be a problem, but just allow for more productivity. Sad it will never happen though :(

I dont know why computer companies havent tried this. A 15 inch surface would be so slick They started to play around with battery powered all in ones, but never really developed them (dell xps18 and acer z3-700). I wish PC manufacturers were experimenting a bit more....

What you are describing... a tablet you don't hold... is more of a smaller Surface Studio than a big Surface Pro. Maybe they will make one; or maybe they will make a 15" Surface Book. I think the 15" Surface Book has a greater chance of happing than a large Surface Pro.

You said that if they made the screen bigger, they could make it thinner and have a bigger battery. That is simply not true if you are meaning bigger battery "life". The screen is one of the biggest drains on the battery. A screen that big would need a hefty battery to provide decent battery life and that would also make it very heavy. Maybe a new battery technology will be developed in the future to allow something that big to be equally portable.

jmork

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, A mini Surface Studio would be great! That is, if it were really portable and didnt have that computer base....

The problem with the surface book is that it doesnt have a kickstand or ports on the tablet section. It means if you want to have any peripherals, which as a musician playing concerts you ALWAYS need, then you have to keep it plugged into the base. This would be fine since in reverse mode it lays down nice and flat on the table, but if you ever need the keyboard to make a small adjustment, you have to disconnect the tablet section - which disconnects your soundcard and midi controllers - and then plug it back in, essentially messing everything up....

True - i dont know all the things that go into battery life, i just assumed room for a bigger battery would add some time, but maybe not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes