Just ordered a Surface Pro LTE...

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Super excited for this LTE version of the Surface Pro as I often travel. My JetPack works okay but it takes a while to boot up and connect, and it's just another device that needs to be carried with me and constantly charged. Using a phone as a hotspot isn't ideal either... I can't wait for instant on and connectivity! Hopefully it works as advertised.

So I walked into the Scottsdale Microsoft Store today just to look around and ask about the availability of the LTE version. They actually took my order for a December 1st delivery! Nice!!

Anyone else planning on getting one?

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Super excited for this LTE version of the Surface Pro as I often travel. My JetPack works okay but it takes a while to boot up and connect, and it's just another device that needs to be carried with me and constantly charged. Using a phone as a hotspot isn't ideal either... I can't wait for instant on and connectivity! Hopefully it works as advertised.

So I walked into the Scottsdale Microsoft Store today just to look around and ask about the availability of the LTE version. They actually took my order for a December 1st delivery! Nice!!

I have been waiting all this time for an LTE version and it's only Available on a i5 processor. Why do you do this Microsoft? I want the i7 with lte

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm not getting one. The lack of Thunderbolt 3 is still a deal breaker for me. There is no Surface product that works with my existing docking solutions. Everyone in my family uses Thunderbolt 3 docking and accessories.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at trialling one to replace my phone, I rarely use my phone as a 'phone' any more so the BT headset that I use currently will be just as sufficient. Only downside is in the car when I have to take calls but other than that it's a win-win for me. I'll probably trial one in the new year to see how effective it'll be.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Getting an SP w/LTE makes no sense to me. My wife and I both have Surface Pros and we both carry Windows phones. Our phones have data plans and the ability to create a mobile hotspot (made easier by the fact that W10 can automatically "turn on" my phone's hotspot via Bluetooth). Why on earth would I pay for a third or fourth line to support a function I can already accomplish with our existing gear? Waste.

Tales Normando

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Definitely, if I get to go to a Surface selling country in the near future. LTE, at the very least, would ensure the device would always be online so I could track its location in case of robbery.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I was waiting for this until I saw the surface pro i5 256GB bundle at Costco for $1199. that was just way too good to pass up.

Jonathan Matthis

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Not excited and no need. Why? Getting an LTE device in addition to buying the device usually includes activation fees and adding another line to your account for an additional monthly expense regardless of the amount. Most people have smart phones and have wifi hotspot capability built in. It is a far cheaper option to use your wifi hotspot on your phone that you always keep with you than pay for additional monthly fees for another device. Additionally the speed of your hotspot would be identical to that of the built in LTE on the Pro.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm not. MS ***** footed around anouncing a release date for months, years even since the SP3 for when an LTE SP would be out. I ended up buying a new SP4 before they FINALLY announced it. So no. I'll wait for the LTE SP5 before upgrading.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Getting an SP w/LTE makes no sense to me. My wife and I both have Surface Pros and we both carry Windows phones. Our phones have data plans and the ability to create a mobile hotspot (made easier by the fact that W10 can automatically "turn on" my phone's hotspot via Bluetooth). Why on earth would I pay for a third or fourth line to support a function I can already accomplish with our existing gear? Waste.

exactly this... never understood paying ANOTHER over priced data plan... don't get it. if you're too lazy to click 1 button, then you've got problems LOL

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
At which point do we stop salivating over a basic technology that a $50 phone already has?
This is getting ridiculous already. Just stick a cheap LTE circuit in there instead of charging 200 more bucks for - as of 2017 - such a primitive thing.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes seriously thinking about getting an LTE version.can't wait either. Fingersccrossed no early adopters major issues occur. Thinking about waiting a bit after official release, just in case

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Nah. I have a Surface 3 with LTE and rarely use it. One time I fired up my phone hotspot because I actually forgot the Surface had LTE. I don't leave it turned on, as it is just another power sucker. Not excessive, but it is unnecessary when WiFi is so prevalent. Now, let me tell you about a giant irritant. If you are connected to WiFi, but that WiFi is unable to connect you to the internet, LTE will not work. You will need to turn off WiFi before you can connect. This can happen if you are at home, on Wii, but your provider is down, or if you are at one of those free WiFi spots that requires you to accept their terms via browser before granting you internet access. There was a big stink made about the new LTE Apple watch, because it was connecting to public WiFi, but you couldn't accept the terms, so it looked like the LTE connectivity was down. Folks they all work that way. If the WiFi is 'connected', you won't get LTE data. Try it at home, unplug your ISP from the wall but leave the WiFi up. Your phone, iPad, Surface with LTE will stay connected to WiFi, but you won't get anywhere on your browser over LTE. It assumes it should be using WiFi. Turn the WiFi off on your device and you will be back on the internet. It's normal, sort of by design, but annoying if you don't realize that is happening.
BTW, the extra charge on AT&T family plan is just $10 for the Surface, so not a deal breaker.

CrippsCorner

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Agree with many others... tethering from your phone is obviously the way forward :) (if you have enough data - I have 26Gb)

Sod signing up to another bill!

Martin Plamondon

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
My phone's hotspot is enough. And I also have a Windows phone which the PC can turn on the hotspot automatically.
Only downside is that when making a phone call, LTE drops back to 3G for the duration of the call. I don't know if it's the same everywhere or just a limitation of my carrier (Bell Canada).

Mancncheese

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't own a Surface Pro yet. So, yes!

I have an unlocked LG G5 with a sim slot that pops out on the side. I hope it will be more efficient to swap sims instead of using a hotspot. The only question is, can you make or take a call with SP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi