Recent windows update = performance issues?

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, after recent set of updates my Surface RT is very sluggish, scrolling stutter, system freezes when I close apps, also waking up device require power button to be pressed twice sometimes. Anyone experiencing same issues?

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had similar experience after the update. I saw where i was scrolling on the start screen and there were tiles, but they were empty...ive also had a few crashes on the people app as well as some freezing/unresponsiveness. The sluggishness is occasional, but usually coming out of sleep.

While we are on topic of performance, when my surface is in sleep mode, i usually have to press the windows button several times before it wakes to the lockscreen. Anyone else have this issue?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Major updates always affect performance until superfetch and other caches repopulate. Windows has been an adaptive OS for years and performance fixes frequently reset things to start. It is one of the reasons I always find it silly when people say immediately after an update that performance has improved. Effects are almost never immediate and initial performance is typically at least marginally worse post update. As for the power button I believe that is an actual function change. You do not need to press twice, just hold it down slightly longer. I expect the intent is to make it more difficult to accidentally trigger the screen.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense regarding holding the button to wake, but wouldnt that apply at all times? Sometimes when i just press it once, it wakes.

As for the rest of your post, i also have seen where, after an update, performance is poor and then seems to fix itself over time. so, good point

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had similar experience after the update. I saw where i was scrolling on the start screen and there were tiles, but they were empty...ive also had a few crashes on the people app as well as some freezing/unresponsiveness. The sluggishness is occasional, but usually coming out of sleep.

While we are on topic of performance, when my surface is in sleep mode, i usually have to press the windows button several times before it wakes to the lockscreen. Anyone else have this issue?

I noticed similar with my power button. Haven't really noticed any major sluggishness, crashes or slowdown.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the empty tile thing between the last update and this one. I have not had empty tiles since this update, but it was pretty random so I can't say it's fixed.

I also noticed the power button. That's a stupid change as it makes the button seem flakey now. I'm really starting to wonder who is making these kind of decisions in Redmond, because they lack common sense.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense regarding holding the button to wake, but wouldnt that apply at all times? Sometimes when i just press it once, it wakes.

As for the rest of your post, i also have seen where, after an update, performance is poor and then seems to fix itself over time. so, good point

I think that the quick tap of the home button only wakes it if the screen recently went off. Otherwise, holding down the home button will wake it if it is truly sleeping.

I think this is to prevent it from accidently waking.

pfroo40

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with the power button. If it's intended, I wish they'd let us turn it off, because I've never had issues with accidentally waking my tablet. Now it's just annoying that I have to press it twice to get it to turn on.

Performance-wise, it actually seems like my Surface is running better/smoother since the update, especially switching between running applications and general scrolling etc.

Edit: There's a post on the official MS forum for Surface RT with an MS rep telling people to refresh their tablet to fix the sleep issue...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-march/277db26f-634a-4ec9-afaf-ca6c77b6ac20

Seems a little extreme. Especially since I've deleted my recovery partition, after backing it up to SD card, but still.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a bit of performance issues after an update a few weeks ago. Had the battery dying in a day, go to use the thing after letting it sit for an hour or so and it said it restarted due to an error and ran slow and crappy. Now, however, since a recent update its back to normal and battery life seems normal again. The power button does need a longer press now though.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with the power button. If it's intended, I wish they'd let us turn it off, because I've never had issues with accidentally waking my tablet. Now it's just annoying that I have to press it twice to get it to turn on.

Performance-wise, it actually seems like my Surface is running better/smoother since the update, especially switching between running applications and general scrolling etc.

Edit: There's a post on the official MS forum for Surface RT with an MS rep telling people to refresh their tablet to fix the sleep issue...
Surface will not wake from sleep mode after March updates - Microsoft Community

Seems a little extreme. Especially since I've deleted my recovery partition, after backing it up to SD card, but still.

Refresh doesnt make sense, because it removes all updates and you have to reinstall them again. I know, because ive done it twice before.

pfroo40

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A refresh doesn't reapply firmware updates, they are permanent. So if the firmware update is causing the lock screen wake issues, maybe it's conflicting with a prior update or setting. It makes sense that a refresh could resolve it but I don't feel like spending the time to find out.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, after recent set of updates my Surface RT is very sluggish, scrolling stutter, system freezes when I close apps, also waking up device require power button to be pressed twice sometimes. Anyone experiencing same issues?

Yep I'm also experiencing minor issues such as these, especially the stuttering and pressing the wake-up button twice. I can live with it, but it's been a bit irritating a times.

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A refresh doesn't reapply firmware updates, they are permanent. So if the firmware update is causing the lock screen wake issues, maybe it's conflicting with a prior update or setting. It makes sense that a refresh could resolve it but I don't feel like spending the time to find out.

I just did this to fix some issues of it being sluggish on resume and as I was applying updates it twice alerted me to firmware updates I needed to take. I was a little shocked as I believed that firmware would be a onetime thing but I had to apply them again.

However after the reset it is working much better single button press wakes it up and sometimes still need a longer press to wake it from a long time sleep like in the morning.

Not sure if the performance gain is from the reset or the 5GB of apps I cleaned off it to perform the refresh. Either way working better it seems.

CoopII

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon