Reset Surface to sell, what about windows.old?

DonPepe1705

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I know there are plenty of threads about resetting the Surface to factory settings. I also know the option to delete all and reinstall windows via pc-settings.

But my Question is: wouldn't this result in a windows.old folder on C: with the possibility for the buyer to use this to rebuild my settings, OneDrive, etc.

Thank you, Jan

anon5878284

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
No, resets as the name suggests, removes everything COMPLETELY. You are not left with a windows.old folder and you're good to sell it without worries. :wink:

The Windows.old folder appears only in the event of you installing another (or even the same) version of Windows as a clean install from within Windows. Reset uses the WinPE (Preinstallation Environment) and does not leave any traces of your data.

P.S. Which Surface do you plan to sell? I'm on the potential buyers list if you can sell me a Surface 2 for a price lesser than the current market price. :grin: (If you've the Surface RT, no, because I was getting it for cheap a lot of times but let it go because it is pretty slow and Surface 2 is much better, faster, more flexible. My sister's doesn't lag when you have all Office apps and all Metro apps open together. And no to the Pro or Pro 2. I'll either get a cheap Surface 2 now or a Surface Pro 3 next year)

DonPepe1705

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your quick answer! It's a Surface (1) RT and I'm selling it because meanwhile it feels to slow. Bought a Surface Pro 2 and I am really impressed by its power. Even playing Guild Wars 2 with reasonable quality settings and lots of FPS ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes