Now I'm a believer

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi, all. I'm an IT professional with an affinity for new toys. After being curious about WP for a long time I finally took the plunge. I picked up a Lumia 830 from AT&T and so far I love it. I'm still learning my way around 8.1 but I don't miss my iPhone at all yet.

Aside from a couple of specific apps, the only thing I miss is the ability to disable screen lock in certain situations. I listen to Slacker Radio in the car with my phone connected to a charger, and I'd love to be able to keep the display up during the drive. It's not a huge deal, though.

The biggest problem I've had with my switch so far has nothing to do with Windows Phone. I discovered I was no longer receiving text messages from my contacts who have iPhones thanks to iMessage. I actually had to contact Apple to have them disassociate my cell number from my Apple account. Sigh.

I also have a Surface Pro 3, which is one of the best pieces of tech I've ever owned.

I look forward to meeting many of you throughout the forum.

Cheers!

Paul

askerrep

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey, and welcome!
If you go to settings > lock screen, and then choose the "screen times out after"- drop down menu, you can set it to never. That way your screen will stay on during your drive :) Sometimes apps also have the ability to prevent the lock screen from activating, which is then often found in their settings, but I don't know about slacker specifically. Drive safely!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the board. I'm glad that you have given Windows Phone a try and found it to be a positive experience.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.

That 830 looks nice to me... I'm still trying devices occasionally and that one is on my "to-do" list as a capable all-around phone.

Check out the forums and make yourself at home.

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey, and welcome!
If you go to settings > lock screen, and then choose the "screen times out after"- drop down menu, you can set it to never.

Thanks. I was aware of that option, but I don't want to have to do that every time I get in the car. I was hoping for an automatic solution, but I think that probably has to be done by the app and not the phone itself. I'm thinking Slacker on iOS has a "Disable lock while playing" option that isn't on the WP version of the app. But again, it's not a huge issue. I can skip or rewind a song from the lock screen after a quick double-tap to wake it up.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I was aware of that option, but I don't want to have to do that every time I get in the car. I was hoping for an automatic solution, but I think that probably has to be done by the app and not the phone itself. I'm thinking Slacker on iOS has a "Disable lock while playing" option that isn't on the WP version of the app. But again, it's not a huge issue. I can skip or rewind a song from the lock screen after a quick double-tap to wake it up.

Welcome to Windows Central! Unfortunately for now you have to rely on double tap to wake!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Welcome jock
830 owner here, it is a nice phone isn't it! Anymore questions just ask away. Folks are really helpful in this community.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
The biggest problem I've had with my switch so far has nothing to do with Windows Phone. I discovered I was no longer receiving text messages from my contacts who have iPhones thanks to iMessage. I actually had to contact Apple to have them disassociate my cell number from my Apple account. Sigh.

I believe there is an option in your iPhone, to disable iMessage, BEFORE you leave apple..... But that's to late now. ;)

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I believe there is an option in your iPhone, to disable iMessage, BEFORE you leave apple..... But that's to late now. ;)

Believe it or not I had done that. I even logged in to my Apple profile on the web and deleted all of my registered devices. That still didn't work.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

mddeckie

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
It looks like you have to call in to Apple. I find it astounding that they take ownership of all your messaging in perpetuity and make it so hard to switch off...

Here's a help page from iMore: Not getting texts after switching from iPhone to Android? Here's how to turn off iMessage and fix it! | iMore

I also left iphone for a Lumia830. I unfortunately did not turn off message before switching to WP and it was a pain to finally get all my texts.i had to get the other user to restart their phones before I'd get messages from them.

Love my 830 btw

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all. I'm an IT professional with an affinity for new toys. After being curious about WP for a long time I finally took the plunge. I picked up a Lumia 830 from AT&T and so far I love it. I'm still learning my way around 8.1 but I don't miss my iPhone at all yet.

Aside from a couple of specific apps, the only thing I miss is the ability to disable screen lock in certain situations. I listen to Slacker Radio in the car with my phone connected to a charger, and I'd love to be able to keep the display up during the drive. It's not a huge deal, though.

I also have a Surface Pro 3, which is one of the best pieces of tech I've ever owned.

I look forward to meeting many of you throughout the forum.

Cheers!

Paul

Welcome to the forums, Paul!

How are you enjoying your Surface Pro 3 and Lumia 830 so far? :cool:

jockopablo

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, Paul!

How are you enjoying your Surface Pro 3 and Lumia 830 so far? :cool:

Thank you! I'm still getting accustomed to them but absolutely love them both so far.

The Surface has exceeded all my expectations. Microsoft markets it as a tablet (probably because the keyboard is not included), but 90% of the time I'm using it as a laptop and it is dynamite as such. When I do use it as a tablet, I keep having to remind myself that it's still a real computer and I don't have the limitations I had when I was using an iPad. "Oh, I can actually use any website now!" "Hey, I can use a thumb drive!"

The 830 has its quirks but I love Win 8.1. A year or two ago when I first tried Android I ended up going back to iPhone after several months. I don't myself going back now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3