Hi (soon-to-be Blackberry Convert)

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For a while now I had decided that if I had to give up Blackberry then I'd switch to the pretty cool Windows Phone ('course, back then I had no plans to ever leave Blackberry). Fast forward to today, and I've found that I'm starting to get pretty sick of the uncertainty and really need a phone that runs specific apps that I need (mostly Car2Go, but also Sphero). I've rejected iOS on a philosophical basis, and Android always seems to be too much of a slapped together mess for my taste. I have a cheap Lumina 435 I had picked up as a backup, and after setting it up for when my Z30 sells I found it to be actually pretty great (but tiny and underpowered), so I ordered a BLU Win HD LTE from Microsoft. While it sucks leaving my accumulated game freebies (Amazon app-a-days and Blackberry christmas-promos), Windows 8.1 is actually pretty nice (though I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and it's little keyboard nipple).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Glad to have you onboard. As a current OS10 owner I can tell you the apps have a familiar "feel" to them but obviously it'll take you some time to realize that swiping up from the bottom edge does absolutely nothing. :eck:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central and thanks for the great intro. What new Lumia device are you planning to pick up? I am seriously contemplating a Lumia 950.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central and thanks for the great intro. What new Lumia device are you planning to pick up? I am seriously contemplating a Lumia 950.
I actually ordered a BLU Win HD LTE directly from Microsoft. I opted for free shipping so It'll take a week to get here (I should've paid for express, it was only $10)

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Glad to have you onboard. As a current OS10 owner I can tell you the apps have a familiar "feel" to them but obviously it'll take you some time to realize that swiping up from the bottom edge does absolutely nothing. :eck:
Thanks. I will miss swiping and the app screen, but I'll adapt.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey grahamf, welcome aboard! I've been using Windows Phone for a year now, and I do miss BB10, but I think that Microsoft and Windows 10 mobile is a bright future. I'm planning on sticking around.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. After getting Windows 10 installed, I'm wondering if it's possible to enable a "phone calls only" sound profile? Cortana is not available in Canada so quiet hours doesn't work. That's the one thing I'll miss so far, as everything else can wait but anyone calling me at night has a good reason to.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the site.. and to the platform! Enjoy your new phone, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're all here to help!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Welcome bro. Did you try quite hours? Changing your location in settings will get things done, doubt it'll mess things up that bad.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey welcome to our side of the world :) Hope to hear about your experience with the Blu once you have it in hand :D

ohanley

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
For a while now I had decided that if I had to give up Blackberry then I'd switch to the pretty cool Windows Phone ('course, back then I had no plans to ever leave Blackberry). Fast forward to today, and I've found that I'm starting to get pretty sick of the uncertainty and really need a phone that runs specific apps that I need (mostly Car2Go, but also Sphero). I've rejected iOS on a philosophical basis, and Android always seems to be too much of a slapped together mess for my taste. I have a cheap Lumina 435 I had picked up as a backup, and after setting it up for when my Z30 sells I found it to be actually pretty great (but tiny and underpowered), so I ordered a BLU Win HD LTE from Microsoft. While it sucks leaving my accumulated game freebies (Amazon app-a-days and Blackberry christmas-promos), Windows 8.1 is actually pretty nice (though I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and it's little keyboard nipple).

It's never too late to leave to dark side and join the light ;)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the site!

I think you'll find it's pretty much pointless to compare one platform to another. Just try to adapt yourself to the strength of the platform you are using. There are problems/issues or things lacking on every platform, including iPhone/Android, and the key is to embrace what you have and try not to compare. If you try to compare everything, including iPhone/Android to Blackberry, you're going to be disappointed with a lot of things.

Enjoy your new phone.

alexeysalo

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I try my best to leave my Blackberry Passport and use only Lumia, but I can't. Every time I take my Passport after using Lumia (I had a lot of Lumia's, including 1520, 930, 830, 925, 735, etc.) for a few days I feel like Passport is solid business device and its keyboard just fantastic. Also, nothing compares to Blackberry Hub. How to leave BB Passport? What makes you sticking to Windows Phone??

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I try my best to leave my Blackberry Passport and use only Lumia, but I can't. Every time I take my Passport after using Lumia (I had a lot of Lumia's, including 1520, 930, 830, 925, 735, etc.) for a few days I feel like Passport is solid business device and its keyboard just fantastic. Also, nothing compares to Blackberry Hub. How to leave BB Passport? What makes you sticking to Windows Phone??

In some cases, it's not easy to let go lol Use the BB for work and WP for other stuff :D

alexeysalo

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
In some cases, it's not easy to let go lol Use the BB for work and WP for other stuff :D
I hate to use two or more devices. I like to have and use only one device at a time (that's the reason I never use tablet and smartphone, just one device)...

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't come in until tomorrow, but I can honestly say I don't really miss Blackberry that much (except the browser). After getting the hang of how navigating works and customizing it to my needs, I'm pretty comfortable jumping around the OS and in some ways find it more efficient than Blackberry. Internet Explorer doesn't compare well the the BB10 Browser though, but that's partially comparing to a higher end device (I'm currently on a $80 Lumina 435). I've tried the Maxthon browser but it's kind of sluggish so I'll leave it for now.

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't come in until tomorrow, but I can honestly say I don't really miss Blackberry that much (except the browser). After getting the hang of how navigating works and customizing it to my needs, I'm pretty comfortable jumping around the OS and in some ways find it more efficient than Blackberry. Internet Explorer doesn't compare well the the BB10 Browser though, but that's partially comparing to a higher end device (I'm currently on a $80 Lumina 435). I've tried the Maxthon browser but it's kind of sluggish so I'll leave it for now.

Welcome and agreed.

The things that I really wish that Blackberry has that Windows doesn't is mobile browser with ad block support, hub, and a true call/sms blocking feature. Call and SMS filter SUUUUUUCKS...lol

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes