04-04-2014 07:06 PM
158 ... 4567
tools
    Keep in mind that you can boost the 808's saturation level in the settings. You can also increase the sharpening. Then save the combination as one of the Creative Mode presets. You can achieve much the same end effect as with the 1020 by adjusting these settings on the 808. The nice thing about the 808 is that you have the option to create whichever type of photo you want: entirely realistic, or one with a bit more pop. It's interesting to think that reality can be disappointing in a photo. :-)
    02-11-2014 08:16 AM
    Keep in mind that you can boost the 808's saturation level in the settings. You can also increase the sharpening. Then save the combination as one of the Creative Mode presets. You can achieve much the same end effect as with the 1020 by adjusting these settings on the 808. The nice thing about the 808 is that you have the option to create whichever type of photo you want: entirely realistic, or one with a bit more pop. It's interesting to think that reality can be disappointing in a photo. :-)
    Sadly it's true. If everything natural is beautiful there's no need for the cosmetics industry. There will be no salt, sugar and pepper, we'll be eating raw salads without dressing :)

In fact if you look at many award winning photos there tends to be certain non-realistic elements to them.

I'd argue it's not even so simple to define realism. After all, the saturated look may correspond to how your mind chooses to remember it. Capturing images is more about capturing the moment than a purely perfunctory role.
    02-11-2014 09:50 AM
    Then there's the whole idea of whether individuals perceive color differently. Does my mind see or react to levels of green the same way somebody else's mind does? When I think of childhood memories, I don't remember vivid colors, although I don't really remember in black and white, either. So you have a good point: if you're capturing a memory, maybe "realistic" colors aren't necessarily required. I do like to trust that my camera's CCD will collect the same photos as my eye, but I suppose that's open to question, too.
    02-11-2014 11:00 AM
    the thing is that with 808 you have the choice, with 1020 you have to tinker with RAW files which takes some time AND have good memory of how those colors on the picture really looked in reality
    02-11-2014 05:28 PM
    I am sure that Microsoft will add some of those 808 features to the WP app eventually. The 3 presets are probably the best feature of the 808 camera app, which is in fact very powerful.. every time a pick up an andro or an iOS device and look at the camera app.. it just feels so bare bones compared to my 808. They really did a good job on that.

In terms of color reproduction.. you can do pretty much whatever you want to the 808s photos in real time thanks to all the different settings. At times its a bit too "dull" in terms of color reproduction, but its really not a big deal once you get used to the settings and the camera characteristics.

Just to celebrate this great piece of engineering, here is one of my latest clicks..

100iso at 1/30th , handheld. Straight from the phone

trinkner and calfee20 like this.
    02-11-2014 10:23 PM
    magnificent
    vlad0 likes this.
    02-12-2014 05:16 PM
    I too am thinking about going from by beloved 808 to 1020. I am willing to give up the slight loss of picture quality.
    Can anyone tell me if the extra 1/2 inch larger screen size makes a difference?
    On the 808 i have to use opera to be able to read easily as the native browser's fonts and text are too small.
    Also love the "data on/off" widget on the 808 as I have a limited data plan and use it several times a day, I have read it takes about 6 steps to turn off the data on the 1020?
    Thanks in advance.
    02-19-2014 11:35 AM
    I'd like to hear answers for Gary's questions, too.

Gary: you might want to wait to see what Nokia brings out this spring. A key drawback of the 1020 is the lack of an SD card.

By the way, I've been experimenting with a Nokia 520 (inexpensive way to try WP). Reading news articles is easier on the WP devices than on the 808. Apps for Twitter (which I use as a news feed aggregator/reader) and Reddit do a nice job of resizing articles' fonts and reflowing the text for a mobile phone. Opera Mobile does much the same thing on the 808, but the results are faster and with a larger font on WP. This is one of the key reasons I want to change to a WP device. I'm hoping the successor to the 1020 will have the same or better camera, and SD slot, and a larger screen.

One key loss of going from an 808 to a WP is the loss of sound profiles and the automation/ease of switching on/off data/wifi/GPS, etc. I'm hoping that the upcoming 8.1 release of WP will help devs create such functionality.

WP is also much much much better at handling video news, Netflix, etc. than the 808. On my 808, I never click on video links because it's just too painful (unless you're in a dedicated video client like CuteTube), but on the WP 520, I click on video links and have very good fast results.

Also, there are a few Pocket apps on WP which allow for convenient larger-font reading experience for saved articles.
    Gary Anderson5 likes this.
    02-19-2014 11:53 AM
    I too am thinking about going from by beloved 808 to 1020. I am willing to give up the slight loss of picture quality.
    On the 808 i have to use opera to be able to read easily as the native browser's fonts and text are too small.
    Also love the "data on/off" widget on the 808 as I have a limited data plan and use it several times a day, I have read it takes about 6 steps to turn off the data on the 1020?
    Thanks in advance.
    bigger screen is always better, however 1020 has worse contrast than 808 and that might come into play on a sunny day :)

I don't use native browser at all on 808, it's really masochism :)
    02-19-2014 08:23 PM
    Thanks in advance.
    I have upgraded from the 808 to the 1020. Trust me, the 1020 screen is way better :)

There are many apps that lets you pin the WiFi or other settings to your home screen for direct access. Nokia also has a Folder App which allows you to group your apps together or even those connectivity options can be grouped together and pinned to the home screen.
    Marlon Bu likes this.
    02-20-2014 02:05 AM
    Thanks in advance.
    Oh, there is also a Data Sense app that lets you manage your data usage based on your plan limits.
    02-20-2014 02:14 AM
    The contrast ratio and sunlight legibility are the only two things the 808 screen is better than the 1020's ...

By the way the 3gb camera roll on OneDrive doesn't work for Symbian devices.. I tried both version of auto upload from my 808 and I can
    t get the extra storage.
    02-20-2014 09:38 AM
    Off Topic - Just an FYI for those that still have a Nokia 808. I put my wife's Nokia 808 up for auction on eBay about a month ago. I listed a buy it now price of $300, and it sold in 10 minutes. There's still a strong demand for the 808.
    02-20-2014 09:50 AM
    The contrast ratio and sunlight legibility are the only two things the 808 screen is better than the 1020's ....
    Uh, you sure about that? I find the 1020's screen far better than the 808 in every aspect. I have no idea what the spec sheet says, but there is no way the 808's screen is better.
    02-20-2014 10:01 AM
    Can you expand on your "contrast" comment? Are you saying the ClearBlack display works better on the 808?
    I could not be happier how easy it is to see my screen when outdoors, I always thought all Nokia's performed the same way with that technology.
    02-20-2014 11:12 AM
    Guys after GDR3 Lumia1020 has become,awesome phone
    i,still have my beloved nokia 808 as back up. Now,snaps,r not,too saturated as before. U can pin,all short cuts on,home screen like wifi,Bluetooth and soo on
    battery life is awesome in Lumia 1020.windows has lot of quality apps tat Symbian never had
    OS is very smooth and,fluid, no,hanging or freezing. Iam very happy switching frm Symbian to,windows. Iam sure windows 8.1 aka blue will win many,hearts and more ppl will make the switch. I must say windows has one of the best keyboard
    Gary Anderson5 and Marlon Bu like this.
    02-20-2014 02:40 PM
    Also don't forget the upcoming WP8.1 update, which allows notification shade just like android or iOS, along with quick settings too.
    trinkner likes this.
    02-20-2014 02:47 PM
    I'm very keen to move to a newer OS than Symbian, but I need an SD card slot, so the 1020 won't work for me. I'm hoping for a Nokia camera-centric phone like the 1020 but with 8.1 and an SD card. I am going to miss the true multitasking and automation of Symbian, though. I hope WP 8.1 can offer most of that functionality. I like the reading experience for Twitter and Reddit far more on WP than on Symbian, although I'm going to miss Gravity.

BTW, in my experimenting with WP on a 521, I've found Peregrine to be the best Twitter client in terms of using the app as a news reader (e.g., feeds from newspapers and magazines), and Readit to be the best Reddit client. Both load web text pages much faster than my 808, and both offer larger font sizes. I guess I'm getting old if font size is an issue for me. :-) One drawback to WP currently is the browser which apps depend on for rendering some links. Mobile links from the Denver Post and Washington Post that I receive from Twitter currently don't render on the WP browser, but they do render in Opera Mobile on Symbian. I'm hoping that MS can fix that with 8.1.
    02-20-2014 04:22 PM
    Off Topic - Just an FYI for those that still have a Nokia 808. I put my wife's Nokia 808 up for auction on eBay about a month ago. I listed a buy it now price of $300, and it sold in 10 minutes. There's still a strong demand for the 808.
    Yea.. the 808 will always be appreciated in the photo community and in general if you are geeky enough. It really was, and in some aspects still is ahead of it's time.

Guys after GDR3 Lumia1020 has become,awesome phone
    i,still have my beloved nokia 808 as back up. Now,snaps,r not,too saturated as before. U can pin,all short cuts on,home screen like wifi,Bluetooth and soo on
    battery life is awesome in Lumia 1020.windows has lot of quality apps tat Symbian never had
    OS is very smooth and,fluid, no,hanging or freezing. Iam very happy switching frm Symbian to,windows. Iam sure windows 8.1 aka blue will win many,hearts and more ppl will make the switch. I must say windows has one of the best keyboard
    Yes, the 1020 is much better today than it was on launch day in almost every way... which is very good but still not enough for me to replace my 808 with it. Its a personal preference, but I much rather wait and see what Microsoft has in store for the next photo flagship.. the 1020 doesn't have the same "giant leap" feel as the 808 had over the N8, so I am hoping for some sort of improvement in terms of imaging.. the 1020 is simply not enough.

although I'm going to miss Gravity.
    Surprisingly powerful application this one.. I will miss it as well once I replace the 808.

And I am sure a lot of things will be fixed with 8.1 ... its a huge update.

Can you expand on your "contrast" comment? Are you saying the ClearBlack display works better on the 808?
    I could not be happier how easy it is to see my screen when outdoors, I always thought all Nokia's performed the same way with that technology.
    From here:

Nokia Lumia 1020 review: View from the top - GSMArena.com

Now, how visible is that in practice.. its up for debate.

Uh, you sure about that? I find the 1020's screen far better than the 808 in every aspect. I have no idea what the spec sheet says, but there is no way the 808's screen is better.
    I haven't had a chance to put the 1020 and the 808 side by side, but I've seen the iPhone5 and the 1020 under direct sunlight and the iPhone5 looked better.. and I know for a fact that the 808 and the iPhone 5 are at least on par in that regard.

But I dunno.. it might be too little to even matter.
    palandri and Gary Anderson5 like this.
    02-20-2014 06:20 PM
    .... I'm going to miss Gravity. ...
    +1 Great application
    02-20-2014 07:47 PM
    I haven't had a chance to put the 1020 and the 808 side by side, but I've seen the iPhone5 and the 1020 under direct sunlight and the iPhone5 looked better.. and I know for a fact that the 808 and the iPhone 5 are at least on par in that regard.

But I dunno.. it might be too little to even matter.
    808 is a lot better under sunlight than iP5 and 5s, to an extent where you can easily read something on 808 when you can't read it at all on iP5, the same result would be if you compared 808 to 1020, however it doesn't bother a lot of people
    02-20-2014 08:31 PM
    808 is a lot better under sunlight than iP5 and 5s, to an extent where you can easily read something on 808 when you can't read it at all on iP5, the same result would be if you compared 808 to 1020, however it doesn't bother a lot of people
    I don't have any problems viewing the 1020 under the sun either, but I try not to do that too much as it is a big drain on the battery.
    02-20-2014 11:11 PM
    the 1020 doesn't have the same "giant leap" feel as the 808 had over the N8, so I am hoping for some sort of improvement in terms of imaging..
    OIS in lowlight. 'Nuff said.
    Marlon Bu and vlad0 like this.
    02-20-2014 11:14 PM
    My iPhone 5 holds up nicely against the 808.. I would say that the 808 is a bit better, but he difference isn't that big.. maybe the one you saw had a different screen/different batch ?

Also don't forget that the 808 has an amoled screen, not LCD so its even harder to achieve good outdoor legibility... whatever Nokia did with those polarizers, they really did a good job. It might have something to do with the size... the tech might more effective on smaller screens, but I am just guessing.

The screen on the 808 is really good for photography in terms of visibility in various conditions, not so much in terms of color reproduction ... the colors are just not accurate, but you learn to adjust for it. The 1020 has a more color accurate display for sure.
    02-21-2014 10:58 AM
    @vlado Your last sentence above was echoed from a photographer friend of mine after showing him some pics from my recent vacation. For such a low resolution screen photos do look great.

Having said that I have decided to upgrade to the 1020 and will be putting my 808 up for sale. Just feel it is time to move on and the 1020 opinions on this thread have been positive.
    02-21-2014 04:02 PM
158 ... 4567