upgrade to 1020 or go w/ the 1520?

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i don't know what to do. i really love taking photos and video. that's what is most important for me. i uess logically that means i should get the 1020, but i'm wondering if the 1520 would be good enough...if so, i'd get all of the benefits of a bigger and better screen, et cetera.

what do y'all think?

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
i don't know what to do. i really love taking photos and video. that's what is most important for me. i uess logically that means i should get the 1020, but i'm wondering if the 1520 would be good enough...if so, i'd get all of the benefits of a bigger and better screen, et cetera.

what do y'all think?
For me the Screen of the 1520 would be way too big.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you held a 6" phone before? They are freaking huge. If you haven't, I would go into a store and play with some phones in that size range. Beyond that, it looks like a very solid device. I'm sure the camera is still awesome, even if its not quite as capable as the 1020. Lots of power. Big battery. That said, the 1020 runs just fine on its dual core CPU. Very smooth.

nola75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you really live with the size? The height and width of the 1520 substantially exceeds that of the 1020 even with the camera grip on. How do you intend to carry this around if you are using it as your regular mobile phone? It also has half the main memory storage if you go through AT&T. The improved specs are nice but I would wait until they filter down through the rest of the Nokia lineup as the current generation gets updated. It may be a while and it may be Microsoft by then but I need something I can pocket conveniently. If it goes in a purse, backpack or briefcase then it might be a different story. That is the whole point of having a variety of choices out there. This is the first phone with the new hardware enabled by GDR3. There will be others later.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 has a bigger screen, yes with the 1080p and all... Better? No... actually, the 1020's might be "better" as it has Gorilla Glass 3 as opposed to the 1520's GG2. (I don't know why they
took a step back here... cost?)

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
It's quite simple really. Do you want a big *** phone or a big *** camera. I'm not a fan of large phones but I will say tho the expandable storage and that amazing screen on the 1520 are a +1

Chazn

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you like recording videos? The 1520 may be the better option.
Why? Optical Image Stabilisation.
Why? Because in my experience, the OIS on the 1020 does little to no help on dampening walking movements or hand shake. The picture remains very "jumpy."
According to DxoMark's review, video score for the 1020 placed 11th, behind: S4, iPhone 5s, Xperia Z1...and the list goes on.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I've always thought the advanced OIS with the ball bearings and all did a pretty good job at smoothing out the shakes on my 1020. The 1520 improves upon this?

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I printed out the 1520 at 100% scale on cardboard and cut it out to give me an idea. It is big. Although I love it and always like big screens, i did the important test. I put it in my front jeans pocket and you just cannot sit down as it digs into your skin. Just not comfortable or practical. Also remember there will be days in the year where you may go out on a hot day in teeshirt and shorts and carry no bag with you. So everytime you want to sit down you have to take the phone out of your pocket and place it on the table. What if you have no where to put it? Sitting in a train or on a bus means you have to take it out of your pocket and just hold it on your lap.

I love the idea of the phone but I wish it was no more than say 5.2" as opposed to 6".

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what is the rating he have given the 1020 flash?..and still rely on that review after?
Do you like recording videos? The 1520 may be the better option.
Why? Optical Image Stabilisation.
Why? Because in my experience, the OIS on the 1020 does little to no help on dampening walking movements or hand shake. The picture remains very "jumpy."
According to DxoMark's review, video score for the 1020 placed 11th, behind: S4, iPhone 5s, Xperia Z1...and the list goes on.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am very annoyed that Nokia is making choose between the two - that is, the 1520 should have also included the 41MP camera. In fact, the screen on the 1520 is ideal for looking at and editing those great photos!

If you are mainly interested in the camera, as it sounds you are, I would then definitely get the 1020.

I have a 920, and I am extremely jealous of the 1020....

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, my wife got my 920 after she brought home the 1020 one evening for me :) I really love the 1020 and wouldn't go to the 1520, but that's just because it is way too big for my hands. Sometimes I even have problems on the 1020 to reach the upper screen corners one-handed with my thumb, so I can't go larger.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
1020 is great , 1520 looks great toatally different phones in my opinion .......

for me its 1020 all day because of the camera and xenon flash and because i could get a 64gb model ..... no xenon flash ..... no buxz running to shops to give them my money lol but then again a 32gb 1020 is limiting (for how i like to use my phone not all people) in some ways but id probs still take that for the versatillity of the camera ;-) you just cant beat an xenon flash to freeze the moment when led flashes would result in movement blur ;-)

if you dont need xenon or other 1020 camera features , love big devices and dig massive screens then the 1520 is surely the way to go?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes