09-14-2014 02:47 PM
93 123 ...
tools
    I have just finished talking to Nokia support. Microsoft doesn't (currently) plan on updating the Lumia 1020 (RM-877_nam_usa_957) to 8.1. The best I can get is the Developers Preview. Which means no Cyan firmware update. I just want to make sure people are aware. I'll be returning my phone tomorrow. Really disappointed.
    08-07-2014 06:55 PM
    Link?
    Guytronic and xandros9 like this.
    08-07-2014 07:01 PM
    Link?

Nokia phone support. I'm hoping it was just wrong information handed out.
    08-07-2014 07:23 PM
    I've seen MS quoted several times as saying 8.1 will be coming to all devices that run 8.
    08-07-2014 07:25 PM
    I've seen MS quoted several times as saying 8.1 will be coming to all devices that run 8.

Correct. From what I was told if I purchased the 1020 through At&t I would have been updated. It's because I purchased this specific variant.
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-07-2014 07:30 PM
    Correct. From what I was told if I purchased the 1020 through At&t I would have been updated. It's because I purchased this specific variant.
    Sounds more like a marketing ploy to me...
    08-07-2014 07:36 PM
    I have just finished talking to Nokia support. Microsoft doesn't (currently) plan on updating the Lumia 1020 (RM-877_nam_usa_957) to 8.1. The best I can get is the Developers Preview. Which means no Cyan firmware update. I just want to make sure people are aware. I'll be returning my phone tomorrow. Really disappointed.
    A bit of a Misleading thread title You mean "US 877 1020 not getting Cyan".. You should change it. Im in UK 1020 (RM-875 CV GB) and i got Cyan today. I would also confirm this again.. every other 1020 across the world is now getting Cyan.. So Ide take that with a pich o salt.

Most people in Tech Support are idiots.. When I had a GS5, it had a rattle in the camera.. I rang Sammy tech support.. the guy said "Oh No no, that shouldnt be there .. its a fault.. return it... On further checking.. it turns out its the auto-focus inside the ICOCELL camera, because when you boot into camera/... it stops"

So check stuff out first because if it turns out to be wrong, you might fnd yourself under fire
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-07-2014 07:38 PM
    Microsoft is NOT, I repeat NOT not going to update an unlocked phone. Jesus you guys..... ALL windows 8 phones will eventually get the update. Unlocked may be last at this point since it seems to be geared toward carriers first. Unlocked has no defined carrier.
    hotmilkgt likes this.
    08-07-2014 11:02 PM
    Sometimes I have the feeling that people here are paid by some companies to spread rumors, uncertainty and fear.
    08-07-2014 11:19 PM
    What's special about this variant that MS wouldn't push an update? OP said his was unbranded.
    08-07-2014 11:31 PM
    if you go to the nokia update status page the US country variant is not listed at all, probably the cause of the confusion at nokia tech support. they also show the canadian variants as "under testing" despite the updates being rolled out as we speak. follow the link below for the page i'm talking about.

nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

considering that they have gone to the effort to create a new variant, and that microsoft is selling it directly themselves, it's hard to imagine that it wont receive the cyan update.
    08-07-2014 11:46 PM
    Edit: That link shows US 1020 is under testing.

To your 2nd part, what do you mean its a unique variant? RM-877 is same as ATT and I think Canada?
    08-08-2014 12:07 AM
    And that site isn't updated as often as it should be.
    08-08-2014 03:17 AM
    Edit: That link shows US 1020 is under testing.

To your 2nd part, what do you mean its a unique variant? RM-877 is same as ATT and I think Canada?
    The nam_usa_957 from what I can tell is not the same as the At&t. The link shows it is under testing for At&t. This phone has nothing to do with At&t. It was purchased directly from Microsoft, unlocked, and unbranded. For all intents and purposes think of it as buying a Nexus from the Google play store. The only difference is that Microsoft doesn't seem to release updates directly to their unlocked phones (is this their first one?).
    08-08-2014 07:17 AM
    if you go to the nokia update status page the US country variant is not listed at all, probably the cause of the confusion at nokia tech support. they also show the canadian variants as "under testing" despite the updates being rolled out as we speak. follow the link below for the page i'm talking about.

nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/

considering that they have gone to the effort to create a new variant, and that microsoft is selling it directly themselves, it's hard to imagine that it wont receive the cyan update.
    I'm hoping you're right. The only problem is that do I sit on a phone and hope that it gets an update or do I go on the information I received? I only have a limited time until I can return the phone. I'm thinking I might return it and rebuy if they get the update out for it.
    08-08-2014 07:18 AM
    The nam_usa_957 from what I can tell is not the same as the At&t. The link shows it is under testing for At&t. This phone has nothing to do with At&t. It was purchased directly from Microsoft, unlocked, and unbranded. For all intents and purposes think of it as buying a Nexus from the Google play store. The only difference is that Microsoft doesn't seem to release updates directly to their unlocked phones (is this their first one?).
    957 is just the ROM.
    08-08-2014 09:07 AM
    957 is just the ROM.
    Here's the thing. I'm not on At&t. I'm on T-Mobile. T-Mobile support is useless because they don't sell the phone so they don't support it. The problem is Microsoft/Nokia have screwed up selling their own unlocked device. They control the update path and nobody else. They just don't know at the bottom what is going on. I'm going to have to return the phone until the update is out. It really sucks.
    08-08-2014 10:27 AM
    That's fine. If the update is that important, id return it and wait too. I was reply to the person who said it is its own variant. Its not. It a North American variant with an unbranded ROM. That's why I asked, what was so special about this phone.

Unbranded phones are not left behind, this wont be any different. The 1020 JUST started getting the Cyan update, yesterday, in Europe.
    08-08-2014 10:31 AM
    That's fine. If the update is that important, id return it and wait too. I was reply to the person who said it is its own variant. Its not. It a North American variant with an unbranded ROM.

Unbranded phones are not left behind, this wont be any different. The 1020 JUST started getting the Cyan update, yesterday, in Europe.
    I'm going to call the Microsoft Store to see what the return policy is for an unbranded/unlocked phone. I know carrier phones tend to have a 14 day window due to the contracts. I'm wondering if I get longer with an unlocked device. If so, I'll hold on to it because the phone/camera is fantastic.
    08-08-2014 10:34 AM
    Microsoft is NOT, I repeat NOT not going to update an unlocked phone. Jesus you guys..... ALL windows 8 phones will eventually get the update. Unlocked may be last at this point since it seems to be geared toward carriers first. Unlocked has no defined carrier.
    Stop misleading. As long as the variant you own came online you are ready for upgrade. There are all unlock phones except NA and a few carriers in the rest of the world. And most of them got update since last week.
    08-08-2014 10:45 AM
    To answer Blacklac's question the AT&T RM-877 has different firmware then the canadian ones of which there are telus and rogers variants, each with their own firmware, and that have AWS HSPA enabled, as well as having the "highest connection speed" menu. microsoft is also selling unlocked and unbranded RM-877 versions both in canada and the US at their stores.
    08-08-2014 11:14 AM
    The most obvious reason for this issue is that the US variant is simply too new and the morons involved dont know anything about it. It was only released a few months ago (2?) and with all the stuff happening at MS lately, its probably slipped through the cracks. I agree though, returning it is probably the best bet until the update situation is clarified by someone who knows what they are talking about. Or an actual update is released for it.
    08-08-2014 11:17 AM
    The most obvious reason for this issue is that the US variant is simply too new and the morons involved dont know anything about it. It was only released a few months ago (2?)
    I would totally agree to that. Even if its not being updated, it can be flashed with other RM-877 ROM which gets Cyan & WP 8.1. DP anyways works on all.
    Blacklac and antiochian2010 like this.
    08-08-2014 03:49 PM
    I bought a unlocked and unbranded lumia 1020 at the Microsoft store 2 days ago, here in New Jersey.
    I think we are receiving the 8.1 update.
    I'm not sure what the process will be and who will be the one providing it, however, when I first booted the phone and checked for an update manually, an update was downloaded to my phone, took a while to download and install (over WiFi).
    Since this phone is not carried by T-Mobile (which is my current prepaid provider), I would assume they don't have updates for a phone they don't carry.
    So, if an update was available already for the phone, even if it's a minor update, this means that some server the phone is requesting this, and someone is providing it, Microsoft? Nokia? who knows...
    I wish we would know for sure, how and when this would be available.
    08-09-2014 11:33 AM
    This article disagrees The full list (so far) of Lumia 520, Lumia 920 and Lumia 1020s eligible for Lumia Cyan update | Windows Phone Central.

Why would MS update the 1020 in some regions but not the US - their own home turf?
    I think they must have got confused with the EOL status, as generally it means end of life - no longer manufactured and no support.

However despite the EOL status the 1020 is still getting the cyan update and most likely others in the future as I don't see MS abandoning the flagship camera (which kills any point & shoot imo and encroaches on DSLR territory) and once a point a time flagship.

People who wield the 1020, are marketing billboards.. nothing attracts more attention than that 41mp camera. As from a psychological point of view - the bigger the number - the better the device (hence why people clamor - about specs before anything else - only the iphone is immune to such criticism from the average joe)
    08-09-2014 12:03 PM
93 123 ...