Killed my micro USB charging port twice

elvandar

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
So a couple months ago, my 1520 stopped being able to charge through the USB port randomly one day, so I went to the ATT Device Support Center and had a warranty replacement for it. I assumed it was a random fluke, but today, it happened yet again, and now I know why. The first time around, it happened literally minutes after I plugged it into the USB connection in my friend's car, a 2013 Kia Forte. Today, it happened after a couple days of plugging it into the USB port on my car, a 2014 Chrysler 300. I tested it using different cables, connection types (computer, laptop, car, wall jack, etc), and nothing is able to charge it anymore through the micro USB port. I have to get yet another warranty replacement, which thankfully arrives tomorrow with their free overnight shipping, but this is a warning to everyone with a 1520: don't ever connect it to your car USB port or your micro USB connector will die in all likelihood. The only way I can even charge my phone now is via my Duracell Powermat + Incipio PMA case.

Last edited:

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Using a 2.1 Amp USB adapter for the 12v power outlet in my Mazda hasn't caused any problems so far! Something gives me the impression that it might be the cable or adapter that is at fault?

Also I discovered a few weeks ago that Kia's apaprently don't provide power to the USB port all the time, depending on which input source the stereo is on (at least that was the case in the pool car I was driving).

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That does seem like a very weird problem, the likes of which I've never even heard of before. Unless the vehicle is not providing a power source to the USB standard I can't find any reason why the phone would just stop working.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So a couple months ago, my 1520 stopped being able to charge through the USB port randomly one day, so I went to the ATT Device Support Center and had a warranty replacement for it. I assumed it was a random fluke, but today, it happened yet again, and now I know why. The first time around, it happened literally minutes after I plugged it into the USB connection in my friend's car, a 2013 Kia Forte. Today, it happened after a couple days of plugging it into the USB port on my car, a 2014 Chrysler 300. I tested it using different cables, connection types (computer, laptop, car, wall jack, etc), and nothing is able to charge it anymore through the micro USB port. I have to get yet another warranty replacement, which thankfully arrives tomorrow with their free overnight shipping, but this is a warning to everyone with a 1520: don't ever connect it to your car USB port or your micro USB connector will die in all likelihood. The only way I can even charge my phone now is via my Duracell Powermat + Incipio PMA case.

for me the exact opposite happened thrice
i plugged in my 720 into the usb port of my pioneer dash in my car and the dash just went black after half an hour, this happened thrice to me and on the third repair till i came to know that the 720 was drawing too much power and blew the fuse of the dash
maybe in ur case, the kia forte's dash is frying the micro usb of ur phone by a power surge or something

elvandar

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
@Andrew: It fried the port I think. The Kia worked fine for a few minutes then stopped charging and the port couldn't charge at all from any source after that. The Chrysler did the same thing after a couple days of use through the car USB port.

@Karthik: I had the problem in 2 completely different cars: a 2013 Kia Forte, and a 2014 Chrysler 300. So it's definitely not specific to one make/model.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
@Andrew: It fried the port I think. The Kia worked fine for a few minutes then stopped charging and the port couldn't charge at all from any source after that. The Chrysler did the same thing after a couple days of use through the car USB port.

@Karthik: I had the problem in 2 completely different cars: a 2013 Kia Forte, and a 2014 Chrysler 300. So it's definitely not specific to one make/model.
i didnt say its specific to one model , i said its voltage is too high for the 1520 to withstand according to me :)
though micro usb does have protection for power surges but it can be overridden sometimes

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
So a couple months ago, my 1520 stopped being able to charge through the USB port randomly one day.

I recommend you get a portable power bank in the future. I use an Anker 9000mah one for charging my 920, so I don't have to rely on other microusb ports when I'm travelling.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo