Battery life and 1520

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering about the battery life for our 1520 after the Windows Phone 8.1 update.
It seems like it takes a LONG time to charge the phone

(One of the 3rd party apps, says that it'll take 5 hours to charge the phone). Of course I AM currently talking on it as I type so that may be why. But yeah I was wondering about the battery life of the 1520 AFTER 8.1

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine just dropped like a rock, never have I not been able to last all day. This is the pits, think I should have stayed with 8.0.... I might even have to <GASP> do a hard reset... :(

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I imagine just about every phone is having some issues. You have to remember that what you installed is a straight up raw RTM blob for developers to test on. No OEM firmware or drivers, so performance is going to suck until you get the final manufacturer/carrier version. That's just the early adopter tax.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine just dropped like a rock, never have I not been able to last all day. This is the pits, think I should have stayed with 8.0.... I might even have to <GASP> do a hard reset... :(

I mean the battery life is not Abysmal or anything like that(And the charging time has gone down...part of me think it was that high because I was on the phone)

Now it is saying I have about 2 hrs and 52 mins to go to charge it completely...Which is somewhat normal.

I think it is because of Cortana and the always on location services.....

But yeah on 8.0 I was able last at least 14-16 hours a day on High Brightness. After I charge it completely tonight, I am going to see how long it lasts me.....but I seriously doubt I could go back to 8.0 after using all of our new features.

Using 8.0 on my mother's 1020 feels so dated and I was just using 8.0 less than 24 hours ago haha

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I imagine just about every phone is having some issues. You have to remember that what you installed is a straight up raw RTM blob for developers to test on. No OEM firmware or drivers, so performance is going to suck until you get the final manufacturer/carrier version. That's just the early adopter tax.
Oh no, I know that lol. I am the same one telling people that :D
But I wanted to make sure it wasn't the update or potentially something else that caused the issue.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I am not having too many issues with battery life after updating. However, I have disabled all apps except for 3 or 4 to be 'allowed' to run in the background - disable all the ones you don't want to run. Also just things like not leaving location on all the time and the usual stuff. NFC and Glance are both on by default for some reason also, so switch those off too.

I also hard resetted after the update - I've found my battery is a lot better than it was before. Battery Sense is telling me I have 1 day and 2 hours left, 66% battery left and havent charged for 21 hours.

jmr60

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
No problems on mine. I updated yesterday. Today was the first full day of typical use. 6AM to 10PM, never on the charger after 6AM, and I'm sitting at 45%. That's about normal for what I was getting before the update, where I could almost squeeze out 2 days of typical use from one full charge.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
We will see today I go back to a normal day, yesterday I was in the hospital waiting room for hours, nothing to do, hooked up to the hospitals wifi and just played around. I am sure that searching for a signal must have really drained the battery. (Should have put it in airplane mode) But at the end of a 17 hour day, is was about 10%... Never was that low no matter how often I used it.

Ahmad Aleid

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
the battery life is considerable draining faster now - but for me not to that extent.

I think it sometimes depend on your usage, as Cortana requires GPS to be on (which I hate) so I'm expecting the battery life to drain faster than my WP 8.0 days

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I always left location on. Never seem to draw more than I needed... Only feature I really don't keep on is Bluetooth, NFC, and Internet Sharing,

MagusShadow

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
What I have noticed is that apps that I have blocked from running in the background in 8.0 are now running in the background. I think the update accidentally reset the app list, and now every single app that you boot up for the first time will automatically run in the background until you change it yourself, which no longer in "background tasks" but in the battery sense app.

Example, I have no interest in yelp running in the background as I only use it occasionally and do not run a live tile, so in 8.0 I cut it off. I opened it up yesterday to check out a Deli review and there it was in my list of allowed apps in battery sense. Once I denied it, it no longer drains any power when not in use.

On a side note, this also applies to apps with voice commands, I had to boot up flixter once before the phone would recognize the ability to do voice commands with that particular app.

Hope that helps!

(Think I'm going to make a thread with this observation).

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I charged it completely and between say 12:30 am till when I woke up at 5:45

it said it was down to 86 percent(I used it briefly to text but most of that time I was sleeping.....lol)

It's no big deal to me.

1. It's a beta/preview of the official OS

2. I am always near a charger so it doesn't bug me much xD

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the battery life is considerable draining faster now - but for me not to that extent.

I think it sometimes depend on your usage, as Cortana requires GPS to be on (which I hate) so I'm expecting the battery life to drain faster than my WP 8.0 days

I came to the same conclusion. My 1520 had much quicker drain at first. I suspected Cortana and the constant use of Location services. I turned off location services and battery life is back to normal. However, Cortana will not turn on unless I enable location services again. I think the geofencing is causing the drain, constantly checking where I am and powering on the GPS radio

bishop1378

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Battery life was pretty awful after upgrading yesterday morning, losing about 10-15% per hour vs. 2-3% normally. Battery sense was showing that mail was taking the bulk of the charge, so I changed the sync settings to 'as items arrive' from 'based on usage' and consumption went back to normal.

frank pik

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
my 920 seems to be lasting not quite as long as it used to after 8.1 but the worst of it is that now I can only make calls on speaker phone and can't hear or be heard with normal calls

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was the waiting room, my battery is like before, maybe even better. Actually 73% after 10 hours, Doing pretty good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon