Screen Sensitivity Issue Status in Cyan (1520)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Installed the Cyan update straight from 8.0 today. I had the restart mentioned in Step 7 of Geddeeee's post. I'm afraid the swipe/tap/scroll but is still very much alive and well on my device :cry:. Such an incredibly awesome phone otherwise.

Oh well, I knew this was a hardware issue the entire time, so I didn't have my hopes up. Thanks for trying, Geddeeee!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a pity... Silly question: Did you also let the store update all the system and apps after the install? Maybe clutching at straws, but you never know!!!

It seems that the problems with the screen on the 1520 is variable from device to device, and not easy to replicate. Maybe that is the problem that MS is facing.

Last resort... Try a hard reset and see what happens???

Sarang68

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Cyan update seems to be sensitive on how it is installed. I have tried several ways, but the one that works the best and gets rid of screen sensitivity, lag etc.. completely is this:

1 - Downgrade to WP8 using Recovery Tool. Don't use any backups.
2 - After setting up the intitial WP8 (MS account etc) DO NOT HARD RESET...
3 - Go to Settings and turn on Wi-FI for when screen is off. Do not touch any other settings
4 - Update to Cyan OTA
5 - After the update, when on the final screen asking about Advertising ID, Update Store apps etc, the phone should automatically restart before you can do anything. I would wait on this screen before pressing 'Done' to see if this happens.
6 - DO NOT HARD RESET!!!
7- Also make sure you don't use a backup. Do a fully clean install.

Both times that I have done this the phone has been superb. No lag, problems or screen sensitivity issues.

I think the critical step is the restart after Cyan has updated. It didn't happen every time if I set up WP8 fully. Any time the restart didn't happen the screen was not good and the lag was noticeable... This may be a bug in the Cyan set up process. Who knows, but my 1520 is nigh on perfect after doing it this way. I have done it this way twice and both times the restart happened after Cyan was updated. Which I think is the critical part...
Any other method doesn't seem to work as well... Phantom taps etc

Hope this helps and you get the same results!!!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1520 for two days now with a fresh install of AT&T flavor Cyan/8.1 and have run into the ghost touch a couple times. It generates a tap instead of an intended swipe. Very annoying!

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
WPCentral posted this recently regarding Lumia1520 issues including the screen sensitivity issue:

My hope is the forthcoming Lumia Cyan firmware update finally straightens out those quirks, which to me seem like calibration issues, and nothing dire.

(From Following New Article): Here's why the Lumia 1520 is still my favorite Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

I submitted a news tip a while ago linking to this thread, saying that the issue is still present in Cyan. It doesn't seem like WPCentral considers it newsworthy, as I haven't seen anything on the main page. It's a shame because the more press the issue gets, the more likely it is to be addressed or at least commented on by Nokia

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I originally updated to Cyan, but ended up doing a hard reset before really testing it out. The problem is still there currently, but it's seemingly gotten better over time anyways.

I'm debating going back to 8.0 then doing it over again without the hard reset, but I'm still going to restore my backup. Probably would be a waste of time.

kki75

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
No change here. Swipe/tap bug (screen sensitivity) issue still present. Still extremely annoying, as before, and as after, when it occasionally occurs. Touch sensitivity set to normal.

This is with a 1520.3 from stock WP 8, Lumia Black, to WP 8.1 Lumia Cyan, using "phone update". No hard reset done.

jlunardi

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Can I validate that I am having the same issue as others?

My "random tap issue" is the screen just starts to go crazy, lots of taps, scrolling, and capacity button clicks(can feel my phone vibrate like i am hitting one of the three buttons). Cortana will come up, start screen will display, and the multitask display will come on. Just seems like a thousand fingers are touching my screen.

My biggest issue with this is it hangs up my calls, or hits the hold button if I take it away from my face at all. Really is annoying. As far as people thinking this is a hardware issue, I didn't have this issue before 8.1, maybe others did. This phone was perfect before going to 8.1 DP, and now 8.1 on AT&T.

Sometimes my phone locks up when trying to unlock and I assume it's the same issue. Too many things "touching" the screen making the phone appear to be locked up. To me, it's all the same issue.

ok so this is not the touch issue they are talking about but I am having the exact same issue on and off, today I did a hard wipe and didn't restore anything or install any apps from the store (to rule out it being an issue with third party apps) but not to long ago I had it happen again. At one point thought it was my case that slightly raps round the edges but I;ve now been using it with out a case and still getting the issue.

I found this youtube video and its almost exactly like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJob83IOS0Q

JeffeMaximus

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
ok so this is not the touch issue they are talking about but I am having the exact same issue on and off, today I did a hard wipe and didn't restore anything or install any apps from the store (to rule out it being an issue with third party apps) but not to long ago I had it happen again. At one point thought it was my case that slightly raps round the edges but I;ve now been using it with out a case and still getting the issue.

That's the issue I have! Again, I only have had this happen since 8.1. I did a rollback to 8.0 today to make sure it fixes it but based on other reports it does.

I originally thought it might be my case squeezing the sides but it's not. Went a couple days without a case and it still happened.

JeffeMaximus

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
That's the issue I have! Again, I only have had this happen since 8.1. I did a rollback to 8.0 today to make sure it fixes it but based on other reports it does.

I originally thought it might be my case squeezing the sides but it's not. Went a couple days without a case and it still happened.

Not fixed by rolling back using Nokia recovery tool. I guess its time for an exchange.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss