Concerns before buying Lumia 1520

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy the Lumia 1520, it is magnificent and super expensive for me which I intend to use for at least 2-3 years but I am bit reluctant due to these issues:
1. Screen Sensitivity Bug: I have read about this infamous bug a lot and am really concerned as how serious/frustrating is this. This is biggest issue for me yet. Don't want to be stuck with buggy screen for 2-3 years.
2. Durability: I know internet is full of crap but have many reports suggesting that its screen really cracks easy, sometimes even in pocket. Is is true? Suggest any good cases for India.
3. Upgradability: I took the plunge early with Windows phone and bought shiny WP7.5 device only to learn that there will be no more updates just 4 months later. I am still stuck with it but I don't want the situation to repeat with WP9 (Threshold) where no new apps/feature would be available from next year.

There is no good high-end phone which I can consider for windows phone. Lumia 930 lacks Micro SD, and have lower battery life.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Screen is sensitive. Just adjust it to normal and you will relearn how to swipe the screen. There's a way to avoid triggering and launching an app. Difficult to describe here. For me, it's liveable.

Any big screen on a thin shell will face real danger of being easily cracked. Invest in some protection like casing and SP. It is not fool-proof, but should cover some daily knocks. I still find 920 still best in terms of robustness.

bradtech

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you are right now. I bought the lumia 900, and got left behind until Jan of 2014. I bought an iphone 5s instead out of uncertainty about Microsoft's upgrade commitments. Felt like all their phones out had Dual Core Chips that were from 2012. I was let down by the battery life in the ip5s, but of course enjoyed the rich app store but switched to a Lumia 1520 so far I really like it. I bought a case but no screen protector. I don't think anybody knows which devices will eventually be left behind when WP9 comes out but I doubt MS will kill off all WP8/8.1 devices. I think their trend is to get their OS as efficient as possible for cheap SoC solutions for low end lumia devices.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I also jumped at the 900 but moved to a 920 when it was released. I got a killer deal on a 1520 that I couldn't pass up and I love the device. The screen is sensitive, No doubt but not horrible for me. I treat my phones nicely and haven't had any issues with the screen. I think all phones will be left behind for each major release (8.x,9.x,10.x) and I think that's why MS is slowing on the big releases. Just my thoughts. The 1520 still has a nice amount life left since it does support all of the latest features of 8.1 w/ update 1 but I don't expect it to get 9.

Ashley DaviesL

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about sensitivity. I barely notice it, it does play up sometimes but it's not too frustrating at all to be honest. I've been using mine for a month or so now and no marks on screen other than a tiny mark where the flip case flipped it onto concrete earlier (The official 1520 case with the iPad-style back isn't amazing as a stand, so be careful, it tends to drop the phone forward or backward if there's even a slight elevation from my experience, which makes it useless in vehicles. It's a nice case, though, and the mould fits around it perfectly so even for a back protector it's decent value for money :)

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responses..i guess i can live with sensitivity issue..but not with no Threshold update..big dilema for me...can't imagine wp7.8 nightmare repeating again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon