Power button won't lock phone

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is crazy! So many different probable causes. I'm at a loss. I removed my SD card and plugged it into my PC and it reads it fine, although it wouldn't when I plugged in my phone. I'm transferring everything and will have to hard reset.

Also found it strange that once I restarted my phone without my SD card it booted to the blue screen with the sad face. Waited a couple of minutes and it's "working" again.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
No, there aren't multiple causes. There's chive and 5 minute workout causing a power button issue. Period. Any other issue is a separate bug from this. Stop trying to mix and match problems. It's confusing to people with problems and doesn't help anyone.

If you're having a separate issues, please open a new thread.

Last edited:

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
No, there aren't multiple causes. There's chive and 5 minute workout causing a power button issue. Period. Any other issue is a separate bug from this. Stop trying to mix and match problems. It's confusing to people with problems and doesn't help anyone.

If you're having a separate issues, please open your own thread.
You mean this thread that I did start, lol?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You mean this thread that I did start, lol?

Yes, lol, but now you've mixed in things like blue screens, and it's confusing others. I've already proven the original issue is chive, and probably the workout app, independently of any other factors like glance/gestures.

Again, not saying they aren't causing other issues, but don't confuse everyone with multiple bugs. :)

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I can concur that theChive is definitely responsible for my lock button issue. When I saw the WC article, I tried to replicate the issue with theChive and I did. Uninstalled it, then did a soft reset and my lock button was back to normal.

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've NOT installed chive in my Lumia 830. I had this problem badly for the last two days, that I hard resetted finally after around 50 desperate soft resets which didn't work. Now its ok till now. I installed Navmii and 5 Minute work out app and the problem started after that. So my inference is that this is problem with the extra and info update released two days back or some firmware related problem which is getting manifested when installing some unrelated apps which use some of the sensors. Better not to blame the app developer. Its a serious issue with Microsoft. Hope they fix it asap. After 12 hours of hard reset and extras and info again updated, till now the power button bug hasn't recurred.lets wait and see..

Zuchit

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the same issue after using theChive app. Reading the post from Daniel, I decided to uninstall that app.

But unfortunately, uninstalling the app, the issue is worse than before. Earlier, I experienced problem with power button only after it the app for a while. Now after uninstalling, the problem surfaces right after the Windows Phone OS fully loads on. Also, now my phone is automatically restarted when shut down via lock screen button.

I have a Lumia 525

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
the only solution is to do a hard reset, and I am for sure its the chive app that has caused this problem, because had the gestures app before and no issues, installed the chive app and after that install did these problems start happening. I would suggest that both the chive and gestures apps be pulled from the stores.

Srikanth3d

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have uninstalled "the chive" app, but problem is not solved. Lock button is not working.
Strangely, I did not have any problems when I installed that chive app. Problems started within half an hour of Uninstalling that app.

Lumia 520 Denim update

Last edited:

Zuchit

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have uninstalled "the chive" app, but problem is not solved. Lock button is not working.
Strangely, I did not have any problems when I installed that chive app. Problems started within half an hour of Uninstalling that app.

Lumia 520 Denim update

I second that. It has become wore since uninstalling chive app! I have set lock screen time out to 'never' because once the screen gets locked, there is no way to turn on phone screen except inserting the battery again.

I am going to use LSRT to reinstall OS and may be get the official Denim update.

I have Lumia 525 btw

Srikanth3d

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have just hard reset my phone as no other solution is found.
Phone working fine after hard reset.
If you have backed up all your phone settings, contacts, messages , then there wont be any problem with hard reset. All the apps are re downloaded. Even tiles position on start screen is restored.

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have just hard reset my phone as no other solution is found.
Phone working fine after hard reset.
If you have backed up all your phone settings, contacts, messages , then there wont be any problem with hard reset. All the apps are re downloaded. Even tiles position on start screen is restored.
All true, but also be aware if you had progress on any games, it will be gone. You'll have to start again. I don't know how this affects in game purchases though.

Arman Safikhani

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problems, I installed "TheChive" app and all those crazy things happened to me, power button does work, screen brightness is crazy and stuck on low, I have many lags, my battery quickly discharges, My phone is Lumia 520 so it's definitly not for Glance because I can't have Glance app.

It's 100% "TheChieve" app.
It's driving me crazy!

Since I didn't find any way to post a bug report, I created a thread in ( answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/unresponsive-lock-button-system-lags-brightness/8e2fe619-5f65-4bee-a8d7-ab3a52f5d180?tm=1419173257657 ) microsoft answers community (Ohhhh god, the forum does not allow me to post Links :-|, u need to copy-paste the address)
Everyone who has this problem please go to that thread and make it super active so we can receive a fix as soon as possible.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I've just experienced this problem or something related.
I was using my phone and opened the camera from the lock screen. The camera wouldn't take pictures and the shutter button showed yellow. I closed the phone and rebooted it, and then it went totally unresponsive. Power button did nothing and it was getting a bit warm.
It came on when I plugged it in, and opened up OK.
The only apps I installed this week were Gestures Beta and Candy Crush. I was playing Candy Crush and had it "open" before locking the phone and going to the camera from the lockscreen.
I have uninstalled Gestures, soft reset, and for now it seems OK.
I guess it's Gestures or some new wide-ranging software bug from a recent update.

iresh32

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20141221_0002.jpg

I have denim running on my 928 and am seeing this same issue. Look at the top left of the attached picture. Does the OS somehow think the phone is off?

mohit sood

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess that Chive app ****ed things up in the way the phone boots up or sets **** up. I already reset mine and everything seems to be acting normal. Now its just a matter of waiting 2 or so hours to finish downloading all the apps and stuff

Same here using Lumia 720 and installed that ******* chive app and facing similar problem as mentioned by you guys

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah hard reset solved my problem. And I repeat. Its not only chive, there are other apps also which produce the same problem. As I didn't install chive, I installed 5 minute workout and navmii apps. Don't know which one is the culprit.. Was really fed up of the bug. Is Microsoft aware of this bug?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon