So after 6 months with my 1520...

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The build quality is sweet.
The screen is beautiful.
The UI is also beautiful and I love the animations.

Props to Nokia for making a great phone. Props to Microsoft designers for making a beautiful UI. Boo to Microsoft programmers and the marketing.

Everything else is buggy and ****.
Microsoft keyboard for us trilingual people.
Music player randomly stopping.
Internet Explorer (bought Windows phone hoping for as great experience with IE as with my Windows 8.1 tablet - but NOPE!).
App store.
Touch being too sensitive.
Not a jack **** is happening with Windows Phones. It's dead. Windows 10? They haven't even fixed Windows 8.1.
and so on.

My next phone will not be a Windows Phone. I wish Nokia went Android, they would have been way more successful now and we would enjoy much better phones. Would probably be even with Samsung.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Okayyyy? Did you post this just to be proven wrong, or did you need some help? Maybe just needed to vent about software bugs that would happen on any phone regardless of operating system?

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The screen is beautiful.

Props to Nokia for making a great phone. Props to Microsoft designers for making a beautiful UI. Boo to Microsoft programmers and the marketing.

Internet Explorer (bought Windows phone hoping for as great experience with IE as with my Windows 8.1 tablet - but NOPE!).
App store.
Not a jack **** is happening with Windows Phones. It's dead. Windows 10? They haven't even fixed Windows 8.1.
and so on.

My next phone will not be a Windows Phone. I wish Nokia went Android, they would have been way more successful now and we would enjoy much better phones. Would probably be even with Samsung.

1) Mine isnt buggy at all, nothing compared to my last android.
2) Microsofts keyboard is amazing, its about the only keyboard i can type on decently for smarthpones
3) You can complain about this to the people who complain about the music player being always on.
4) whats wrong with IE? its done everything I needed it to no problems.
5) Yea, its an app store for sure.
6) there's a setting for that, looks like you've tried nothing to remedy your problems before complaining...
7) oh, yea, I forgot about that whole lot more that was happening with every other phone OS with their multiple updates per yea- oh wait.. they only get a somewhat decent size update about once a year, almost forgot about that!
8) and so on

A) Nokia would have failed even harder than they did with WP had they gone Android, android is a race that pretty much Samsung has conquered, Nokia only had a small dedicated cult, not enough to survive in the android world

B) Are you calling an OS dead before it even gets close to release? How ignorant can you be? Well, have fun pretending to to read the future.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been on WP for 45 days, not nearly as long as you, but I do have some insight.

I agree that build quality is superb, screen is awesome, and the UI is great. Thanks MS!
I don't know what you're calling buggy... Because I have yet to have an app crash, or my phone restart. I believe it's pretty rock solid... The settings menu is a disaster though, but hey, I go in there every once in a blue moon! So that's fine.

The ONLY OS that allows bilingual entry is Android. Forget Trilingual! Swiftkey is an awesome keyboard. I wouldn't mind if they brought it on board, especially with dual learning because I type a lot in English and Spanish... But I believe the keyboard has great prediction, swype is great... I wish they allowed more aggressive changing of words. They KNOW it's wrong! CHANGE IT FOR ME! haha.

I have yet to experience music stopping.... Where do you keep your music stored? Or how do you copy it? I use MusicBee and CloudMuzik... 0 problems ATM.

What issues are you having with IE? Don't forget, it's a mobile device. My Android tablet and phones always had a hiccup here or there.

App store is lacking, but hey, it's great!

Touch sensitivity is an option in the menu. I don't find it too sensitive on normal mode.

If you really do have issues with WP, get another device. I believe WP is an awesome OS with a lot of potential if they get some more developers behind them. Android is also an awesome OS. You can't go wrong with either one, especially if you get a flagship device.

I change from the Note 2 in September of 2014 to the Z2 and then the G3. G3 lagged A LOT for a 3GB/32 model and 801 processor. LG did something wrong. Z2 was an awesome device, but had TOO many defects between the 6 devices I had replaced. The 2013 1520 is rock solid and as fast as they come! No complaints here! :) But that's why it's an open market! Get what suits you!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The screen is beautiful.

App store.
and so on.

troll.jpg

fgol

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
After my Note II I had been longing for a WP. I use Outlook and was turned off by Google turning off the APIs into calendar. I also was interested in a Surface and figured the phone should be ready to fit into my strategic eco-system.
So I tried a 1520 for 24 hrs and was initially impressed with the phone thought WP OS was lacking too much at the time. No Pebble watch integration, clunky settings menus (as mentioned) and a rough around the edges e-mail app (not real pretty) left me disappointed.

I returned it and got a G3, nice phone but it was an ongoing struggle to integrate Outlook data with my phone. After getting the Surface I thought screw the Pebble a found a 1520 for a G3 swap on Craigslist. I have been very happy with it. The Band has me back with a smart watch capability and with everything on Windows (watch, tablet, laptop, phone) my world fits together nicely. One note - OneNote is icing on the cake. The Andriod version never performed well on my Galaxy tablet - lots of lag problems when typing and the UI was poor.

Frank

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So after 6 months with my 1520...

My next phone will not be a Windows Phone. I wish Nokia went Android, they would have been way more successful now and we would enjoy much better phones.
Nokia wanted to go Android but they couldn't convince Android to use the UI you love so much.

theolympusguy

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
HAH I have all the same things and from the band to surface to my 1520...everything runs great!

I do have one complaint.. Nothing is perfect, why is this??? How come windows does not come out with updates every second and someone needs to explain to me, why cant my phone do EVERYTHING?! LOL sorry...had to vent about people complaining to much :)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow Nebel.
I have been using the 1520 for about 8 months now. Longest i have used any Lumia. As far as the OS, i dont have any issues, it is what it is, a basic a$s OS. I still enjoy using my N9 more any day.
What I like:
1. Battery life.
2. Screen and UI fluidity, an Android with the same processor can't even come close (Nexus 7), we will never know about IOS but 6+ definitely doesn't scroll as smoothly.
3. Pretty fast.
4. Videos made on it.

Luke Warm about:
1. Still Camera - It performs well most time, but doesnt deal well with saturated shots. Dynamic range is too low. It was slow for most of the it was owned, now that Camera is fast, focus sucks. Focus (most important part of a shooter) has always sucked.
2. Front facing camera.

What i dont like:
1. Weight (this thing is like a brick)
2. Misinterpreted taps.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Given OPs post history, it appears there are a few Android things he can't live without. Namely customizable keyboards and more apps. I get that.

Sorry to see you go, the 1520 has great hardware and you're leaving just as Windows Phone is about to get better (Windows 10).

Enjoy Android again for a while and come back see how things are in a year.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The screen is beautiful.

App store.
and so on.

This settles it folks. Everyone dump your Nokias. Go out and buy an Android.

Barking Cactii

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I love my 1520, except for the annoying touch screen.. it continually misinterprets swipes as clicks. Imagine scrolling with your finger and the OS thinks you are actually clicking on everything. Very annoying. And yes I have adjusted the settings for it and it still misbehaves. Both 1520's i have do it, so its not a faulty phone either.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I love my 1520, except for the annoying touch screen.. it continually misinterprets swipes as clicks. Imagine scrolling with your finger and the OS thinks you are actually clicking on everything. Very annoying. And yes I have adjusted the settings for it and it still misbehaves. Both 1520's i have do it, so its not a faulty phone either.

its most likely because your flexing the phone, when you flex it, you mis align the digitzer, there is a detailed thread on how to fix it. just get a decent case to give it a bit more stability and don't lift things a lot with it in your pocket, and don't put it in your back pocket at all, 1520 is a thing *** phone, its hard to make something so big and thing sturdy.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Given OPs post history, it appears there are a few Android things he can't live without. Namely customizable keyboards and more apps. I get that.

Sorry to see you go, the 1520 has great hardware and you're leaving just as Windows Phone is about to get better (Windows 10).

Enjoy Android again for a while and come back see how things are in a year.

Yeah. I enjoy the phone size, battery life, the design of both the phone and it's UI, with a lot of other things etc and I'm not upset with app store being poor.
But it's simply too hard living without some apps like Swiftkey. It's hard to explain, but it does everything I want perfectly for the languages I use (maybe because of facebook/sms integration?). I don't even have to swap between languages for it to remember correctly, I can just use one language setting and it will pick the right word even if I'm typing in a different language. I use iPhone as my work phone and the keyboard is similar to Microsoft. Bad.

I also have an Asus TF810C tablet which is a Windows 8.1 tablet. IE on it works like a charm and I had that in mind when I choose Windows Phone 8. Unfortunately it's not better than Android browsers (which I never said are good anyway).

And a problem with the music player which I also think is not very good.

Those 3 things are really what make me not want another Windows Phone. It's not like I didn't try or completely hate the phone.
We'll see what Windows 10 has to offer but I am not having high expectations.

And no I'm not a troll, this is how I feel about the current Windows. If Nokia didn't make one I would not have bought a Windows phone.
Pure Windows tablets are amazing, Windows phones - not so much.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
question.. did you have your music on an SD card and did you play your music from the SD card? if the answer is yes, then it was a problem with your SD card and not the phone nor your music player therefor not a problem with windows phone... probably your sd card wasn't a fast card and couldn't keep up or got corrupted.. IE is just as fluid as IE on my Surface pro 3 so I don't know what your complaining about... and as for swiftkey I don't use it nor do I see what the big deal is for it, I can't fathom not liking the L1520 because of swiftey as the KB on the L1520 is so good and smooth that my error rate is like 2%.... doesn't sound like your giving WP a fair deal for such small trivial problems that your having! but that's just me...

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
To each his own... I recently dumped my beloved Note 2 (which does a heck of a lot more than most android phones) for the 1520 and couldn't be happier. I have yet to run into something I really couldn't live without and missed because my WP doesn't have it or it's buggy. I hated IE for years, made fun of it, only used it to download Chrome, but about 6 months ago I started using it again to see if it had gotten better on my PC and I was actually quite surprised. It worked really well and was fast... so when I got the 1520, I ad no problem adjusting to using IE and I actually like it. I was standing in a store today and my phone went off, so I pulled it out of my back pocket and a guy a few feet away says "Hey, is that a Windows phone?" "Yeah..." He comes over and says "Is that the 1520?".. I pull it back out and show him.. "Yep".. He said "I was an Apple loyalist, having only iphones since they came out.. Last year I switched to windows phone and wish I got that one" I asked him how he liked his windows phone.. He said "Best phone I ever used, better than all my iPhones and I had the 5S before getting this one".... So, you never know... what works for someone might not work for another. Enjoy your next android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett