force 3g only

magicdesign

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I am hoping someone can help. I have just moved and in my new location, I have a weak 3g signal and a stronger 2g signal. Problem is the lumia is selecting only the 2g network.

I can put the sim into a blackberry and also an xperia z and they both prioritise the 3g network.

Is there any way I can tell the lumia to select only the 3g network?

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I am hoping someone can help. I have just moved and in my new location, I have a weak 3g signal and a stronger 2g signal. Problem is the lumia is selecting only the 2g network.

I can put the sim into a blackberry and also an xperia z and they both prioritise the 3g network.

Settings - mobile+sim - Highest connection speed > set to 3g

chandu95

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Options like that to force 3g only isn't available. I faced the same problem before and switched my network. Here is the user suggesion link for it http://lumia.ms/1xc1W8v

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It really depends... You don't say what phone you have. We assume it is a 1520 because of the forum you posted in, but also there are 4 versions of 1520.

Have you ever tried to get into the Field Test Menu?

Dial ##3282# if you are locked out of Field Test you can not proceed.

If you can get into Field Test > Accept the notification > WCDMA > settings > In Network Type select for "3G only"

Now your phone will ignore the stronger 2G and use only 3G. If you leave a 3G area you will have no data connection until you go back in and select "automatic" for Network Type.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's still working on ATT 1520 even with the latest 8.1 update + Denim...

That's why I advise the OP to try since they don't state what phone they have. Most phones now it is disabled, but there are a rare few still reporting they can access Field Menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi