Win XP does not detect Lumia 520?!?

Mohd Danish Iraqui

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: win XP does not dectect lumia 520?!?

Finally got the Solution.
If your Windows Phone Detects as Camera Instead of MTP Mode then follow steps below.
Go to Device Manager - Imaging Device - Driver Tab- Update Driver- install from a list or specific location(Advanced) - click Don't Search. i will choose driver to install - then click next - now you will see MTP Device Driver - Click on MTP Device and Update. Now your Windows XP detects Windows Phone as MTP Device.
Let me know if its worked for you.

Last edited:

Mohd Danish Iraqui

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I tried all the advice here, and my XP machine still recognizes my phone as a camera only.
Finally got the Solution.
If your Windows Phone Detects as Camera Instead of MTP Mode then follow steps below.
Go to Device Manager - Imaging Device - Driver Tab- Update Driver- install from a list or specific location(Advanced) - click Don't Search. i will choose driver to install - then click next - now you will see MTP Device Driver - Click on MTP Device and Update. Now your Windows XP detects Windows Phone as MTP Device.
Let me know if its worked for you.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

My laptop XP (+SP3) only see the 920 as a camera
Your tip certainly solved the problem..(ie, removing it as Imaging Device, then reboot)
Strange, I did not encounter anything like this on any other XP machine.... I guess the laptop had some conflict issues I wasnt aware of.

Finally, after 3 hours at the verge of a nervous breakdown I've got this right.
For some dubious reason Win XP recognized the Lumia 520 as a camera, not a phone. It was listed in device manager under imaging devices, so I could only transfer pictures and no other file types were supported. So I plugged the phone to computer via USB cable, I went to device manager -> imaging devices -> Lumia 520, right click and Uninstall. Unplugged the phone and plugged again and Windows XP recognized the d*mn phone as RM914 - Lumia 520. Then I had acces to both phone and SD card and I could transfer any type of files.
Easy peasy - NOT!

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

The windows phone 8 or the comming windows phone 8.1 only supports windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 . So in order to be able to connect and do stuff in ur mobile phone you must have a windows 7\8\8.1 os.

petecal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

I can access the files on my 521 just fine, right out of the box. The problem is the Windows XP New Hardware Wizard pops up and insists on running. It can't find any drivers and gives me all kinds of warnings.

No problem, just a PITA.

Samantha Leavitt

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
So i've read through this whole damn thing and still have no solution. I have xp sp3 and wmp 10 and not only is the computer not finding my phone, but its not showing up as a device at all. if i could get it to show up as a camera or external storage i could mess with the drivers and fix it but its not even giving me that. it charges my phone and thats about it. the computer detects the device, attempts to find software, fails and thats it. Please Help!

johnhere

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a theory that a lot of problems people have with XP SP3 are because when they did the Windows Update to SP3 from SP2 they didn't get all the software. SP3 is about 300 mb, the update I got originally was a lot less and I uninstalled it because it gave me sound card problems. Someone else I know with SP3 can't access the newer SD cards, which I can do on SP3. When I updated with the complete SP3 only last year everything worked a lot better. My XP does recognize the Lumia 520. I think it helps if you have the phone switched off when you plug it in too. I wish there was a way to write programs for the phone on XP though.

Last edited:

Ricardo Jorge1

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much "Mohd Danish Iraqui", after a lot of hours the message you wrote a year ago was the ONLY one that helped me to solve the problem with the connection of my new Lumia 530 to my old xpsp3!!! Thanks again man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon