here drive plus speed alert

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I'm getting a phone is to use the speed alert feature on the here drive plus app that will beep when I'm speeding.

Is that not available on the nokia 520? I just ordered one so I would cancel it right away if that's not possible.

Thanks.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Here Drive the Speed Limit is available on all Lumia including the 52X series, used it the other day..

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot.

So do I miss anything when it comes to the GPS/maps available since I'm getting the 520?

I'm in the US and I am actually getting the AT&t no-contract version of this phone. I'm not planning to use it as a phone but just as an ipod.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
So do I miss anything when it comes to the GPS/maps available since I'm getting the 520?

I'm not planning to use it as a phone but just as an ipod.

Not really, You will need to put a sim in so that you can activate Here Maps. But once that is done, you can pull the sim out and you can download you entire US Map or whatever North America Region you like, if you need maps for Europe, Asia, etc. You would have to pay to upgrade to get those features. If you are not travelling overseas you will be fine.

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to activate the sim cause i'm trying to avoid paying for telephone service since I don't need it?

I do travel overseas sometimes but for maybe 3 weeks in a year so I can live without. Thanks.

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, my sister has a Samsung Galaxy S4. I think that's microSIM so I'll just get her to help me out. I'll have her act like the phone is hers too so she can get it unlocked by AT&T for me too.

Thanks a lot corePC. You've been a big help.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, you need to have a SIM card in the phone for Here Drive to work on AT&T, even though you have downloaded the maps. If you try starting the app without a SIM card, it will want you to upgrade to the International maps. From what I've seen, once you have spent the $20 to upgrade, then Here Drive will work without a SIM.

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, once you have spent the $20 to upgrade, then Here Drive will work without a SIM.

Oh bummer. Oh well, $120 for a smartphone is still a great deal. Especially since if I had this app when I first started driving, I saved me so much money on speeding tickets over the years, I could have bought a whole new car!

It'll pay for itself I'm sure with my bad driving.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly, I found that the speedometer on my truck seems to read about 2 mph slow (according to HereDrive). I set the alarm on HereMaps accordingly.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I found an interesting trick. I used one of the proxy tricks (used the one using Fiddler) so that I could install the Pro Cam and found that I could install Here Drive+, which included the International maps and works without a SIM card installed.

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I found an interesting trick. I used one of the proxy tricks (used the one using Fiddler) so that I could install the Pro Cam and found that I could install Here Drive+, which included the International maps and works without a SIM card installed.

I'm confused. I've never owned a smartphone ever before. Could you explain in novice speak what you just said? I think you're telling me I can get Here Drive + on my new 520 without paying any money and without a sim card (not even when I first load the program). Is that right and if so, how?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I used the instructions in this thread on how to install the Nokia Pro Cam. I'm not sure how easy the instructions will be for a novice but, to try and make it a bit easier, the first seven steps you perform on your computer, and only with the eighth step do you do something with your phone.

The first instruction you need to download a free program, Fiddler, that you can download from here. After the eighth step, you can go into the Microsoft Store on your phone and, under Nokia Collection, you will see the Nokia Pro Cam, the Nokia Smart Cam, and Here Drive+. You can download all of them onto your phone for free.

Basically, what you are doing is routing the WiFi of your phone through a proxy server on your computer, and the proxy is telling Microsoft that you have a Nokia Lumia 1020 instead of a 520.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon