Volume changing after shutdown

kristiendevolder

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
When I shut down my Nokia Lumia 520 with the ringer volume level on 30/30, and power it back on, it's always back to 15/30. Is there a way to make it stays to 30/30 or automatically goes back to the highest possible level?
Thanks in advance

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey kristiendevolder, I noticed this myself on my 920 recently after upgrading to Amber and specifically asked Nokia about it through their online chat:

I updated through Nokia Software Updater for Retail and now every time I reset the device the volume changes to 13. I contacted Nokia support directly and they say this is by design:

Rose (9:33:58)

I have checked that this will be a normal behaviour of phone, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation, which is mandatory in new devices in EU in 2013, to avoid the possible damage of ear hearing. You can still adjust the volume level up to 30 with the volume key on the side.

Muessig (9:35:03)

So you can confirm that after the Amber update every Lumia device will automatically reset its volume level to 13 regardless of what it was before and that this is a feature and not a bug. I will have to change it myself every single restart from now on?

Rose (9:35:38)

That is right, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation.

yachtcantata

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The answer is given is a sad example of Euro mumbo jumbo. I would ask that Nokia check that this really is a rule or whether it is their wrong interpretation of a rule.
Anyway, would it not be OK to let the user change the default, currently set at 13/30. It is then the user's decision as to what they set it to.
I cannot hear the phone ring at 13/30, especially in my pocket, and I am not deaf ! Why should I have to change the volume every time I switch the phone on??
Action please, Nokia!! Or I might just sell this phone and go back to Apple.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Perfect example of how we keep letting corporations decide FOR US what is good or bad for us. They treat us like babies who can't decide on their own, and guess what ? We all give them even more money for it in return. That's your "technology" ridden society there.

vlinder1

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Nokia Lumia 625 user in Australia, handset purchased in Australia, and I have the same issue. I cannot hear the phone at 13/30, no chance of hearing damage! What a pain. Also, since I'm not in Europe, why would that apply to an Australian phone?

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Nokia Lumia 625 user in Australia, handset purchased in Australia, and I have the same issue. I cannot hear the phone at 13/30, no chance of hearing damage! What a pain. Also, since I'm not in Europe, why would that apply to an Australian phone?

Well normally it wouldn't...so that is strange.
Either Australia has the same restriction guidelines in play now ? But I would seriously doubt it...

Through a little bit of googling, you can alternatively look-up the ean code of the phone (the barcode on the box)....
and find out where your phone was manufactured.

Could be that it was not manufactured in Aussie, but somewhere in Europe, and thus manufactured according to the European legal guidelines.

For instance my phone was manufactured in the Netherlands, but purchased in Belgium, so I got the Black update waaay before anyone else in Belgium...

Hope that helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes