Excessively Hot When Using Cellular Data

canaws82

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

I bought a Lumia 520 (ATT GoPhone) from the Microsoft Store. I've had it for a couple of days and I'm having a heat issue when my phone has data on. Heat issues seem to be fairly common with Lumias as far as I can tell from googling, but from comments I haven't been able to figure out if it's a bad individual phone, a manufacturing defect on all the phones, a firmware issue, or something that can be alleviated by user settings. I'm pretty sure that it's cellular data related, because it heats up excessively on 4g but only a little while on wifi (which is were I do all the heavy data usage). Excessively = the whole back of the phone gets HOT starting with the area above the camera. A little = the area above the camera gets a little bit warm, no biggie.

I'm not a heavy cellular data user. I have limited airtime/data, so I leave everything off (GPS, Data, Bluetooth, Wireless) until I actually need to use it. I make sure to close apps I'm not using, I don't have any social media accounts set up in People, I have all background tasks blocked, camera backup to Skydrive disabled, and my Yahoo email on manual check. The only thing that's automatic is my Microsoft Account (Calender) and my Google Contacts. I pretty much only use cellular data to read text-heavy pages in IE, so I'm barely using any data at all when I have 4g turned on. I get notices about how much data I've used once I disconnect and it's usually like .01-.03 cents (I pay .066/MB and they round up). However, after being on the phone for 15 minutes or so it gets super hot and the battery starts draining like crazy (way more than I would expect).

I'm not using it any differently than my last phone (an old LG Thrive Android ATT GoPhone). Should I be looking into exchanging the phone for another one? Or will this happen with this phone no matter what?

Device Info (if it helps):
Lumia Amber 3043.000.1324.001
RM-915_NAM_USA_228
Airvoice Wireless (ATT MNVO)
Apps: Alarms, Amazon Mobile, Calculator, Camera, Chrync, eBay, Games, Help+Tips, HERE Drive, HERE maps, HERE Transit, Internet Explorer, Messaging, Music+Videos, myTube, Nokia Cinemagraph,, Nokia Creative Studio, Nokia Panorama, Office, OneNote, Pandora, PDF Reader, People, Photos, Settings, SkyDrive, Smart Shoot, Store, Toggle, Tumblr, Wallet, Weather, Yahoo! Mail

Thanks for the help!

canaws82

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Just Internet Explorer. I pretty much only use cellular data to read (at reddit or some other text-heavy site) when I'm on lunch. When I do the same on wifi, then it doesn't cause the same kind of heat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClareceKeard