Cannot get a 521 working on StraightTalk

link9454

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So after getting a Lumia 920 and iPhone 3GS working perfectly on Straight Talk, I cannot get my mothers 521 working. Phone calls and texts work fine, but mobile data and multimedia messages don't work. It's brand new, presumably locked to T-Mobile. I got the Bring Your Own Phone setup packet at Walmart. Interesting thing is, the 920 under Settings>Cellular has two buttons, "internet apn" and "mms apn" and I used these to add the settings. The 521 has no buttons to set these, so I tried using the Access Point app to add the settings but I cannot get it to work, even trying to mimic the settings on the 920.

So, what are the settings for Lumia 521 using Access Point? I'm not a huge phone guy, so my experience with this is limited. Settings open to me in Access Point are as follows:
Under Internet APN.
Access Point Name:
Username:
Password:
Proxy address:
Proxy port:
Network Type:
Authentication type:

Under MMS APN
MMS Access Point Name:
Username:
Password:
Proxy address:
Proxy port:
MMSC address:
Network type:
Authentication type:

Tried the settings here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/235195-521-straight-talk.html
Tried these: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/225961-mms-straighttalk-521-a.html

I might just be putting the wrong thing in the entries Access Point?

link9454

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've checked both those threads and tried the suggestions there. Each thread has different suggestions and settings as well. I have a T-Mobile Lumia 521, a straight talk micro sim card which has the tracfone ovals on the card (so assuming it's a tracfone sim card). I just want a simply layout of the settings to punch into Access point.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
for my sister's 521, the APN were under the access point settings panel

i took a bunch of photos (instead of screenshots i know) of the settings pages for future reference so i'll go see if i could dig them up

UPDATE: attached in a zip, those are the settings that worked for us
View attachment wp_ss_20130305_0002.zip

frizodanizzo

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried on my 1020 and a 925 both working with straight talk, APN for internet under APN tfdata..... everything else blank. then use the MMS settings

apn tfdata
user: blank
pass:blank
proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
port: 80
mmsc: http://mms-tf.net
port: 80

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Straight Talk SIM with AT&T service? If so, that would explain why the 521 doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

schroern

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a Straight Talk SIM with AT&T service? If so, that would explain why the 521 doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Actually, I have a tmobile branded 521 and have multimedia and mobile data working using a straight talk at&t sim. Unfortunately my settings wont work for the OP, but it is possible to use an at&t sim with the 521 as long as its unlocked.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I have a tmobile branded 521 and have multimedia and mobile data working using a straight talk at&t sim. Unfortunately my settings wont work for the OP, but it is possible to use an at&t sim with the 521 as long as its unlocked.

I think that was their point. The OP may of requested/purchased the ATT SIM by mistake, making it incompatible without unlocking. They will have to get a sim card here (Sim Cards), being sure to select "My Phone is a GSM T-Mobile compatible phone".

Evelyn Ford

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the nokia 521 and have straighttalk for the service. I cannot load apps from the windows store,I get a message that says,my Microsoft soft account may be in use,I am instructed to input my phone number and they will send me a code too confirm the number is mine,but I never get a code texted to me.I can message via SMS,and use the other features,but no apps.Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon