Can I get some help 'safely ejecting' a Lumia 830 from Windows 8.1 PC?

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Trouble 'safely ejecting' a Lumia 830 from Windows 8.1 PC

After plugging in a Lumia 830 to a Windows 8.1 desktop PC (Dell i5) - getting the error "Windows can't stop your 'Lumia 830 (RM-983)' device becase a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later."

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot what process is using the Windows Phone? I've checked I'm not syncing the phone, not accessing it in Windows Explorer or using it in any way.

I've uninstalled the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, uninstalled the Dell Backup program, ungraded the Windows Phone desktop sync app -- but still getting the error.

Is there a way to figure this out? Would it make sense to somehow uninstall the Windows Phone driver and reinstall? How does one do that?

Any suggestions?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you restore your laptop to a few days ago. Or at least before you connected your phone to the laptop. This would solve "installation" problems.

Or go to action center and run troubleshooting for "software or hardware" problems on your PC.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Trouble 'safely ejecting' a Lumia 830 from Windows 8.1 PC

Hi. This 'safely removing' issue has been persistent for months. It also occurs when ejecting my daughter's Lumia 520. Seems to be some process that gets its hooks into the phones and won't let go.

... if there was just a way to find out what process was doing it -- so I could uninstall it....

Any suggestions?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Is anti-virus running on the PC?

Windows desktop task manager might reveal what's holding the phone hostage.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

No third-party antivirus is running. (only Windows Defender).

Great suggestion on launching Task Manager. Which tab should I focus on? Processes, performance, app history, startup, users, details or services?

A little uncertain on how to isolate what is holding the phone. ...

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Which tab should I focus on? Processes, performance, app history, startup, users, details or services?

I usually scour processes for unknown looking stuff.
If something looks suspicious\troublesome I highlight, copy it and do a web search for it's function.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all the troubleshooting suggestions. The issue is fixed - and circling back with the solution in case anyone else encounters the same issue in the future.

Just out of curiosity, I started uninstalling applications one by one to isolate the culprit. And I found it: Visual Studio 2013 Express.

After uninstalling VS 2013 Express -- I can now safety remove the Windows Phone. There's a process used by VS 2013 Express, sorry I forget the name, which holds onto the Windows Phone and won't let go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes