When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
No matter which OS you choose next, I think you should BBB MS and get the money back. Without the firmware update, RM983 is a defect product. MS doesn't have obligations to deliver new features but it has the obligation to fix defects.
I'm going to try that after I go to the MS store. I'm not enthusiastic about my chances and my gut feeling is I'll end up wasting three hours of my time and leave there more pissed than I am now... :grin:

Ironically you can get $200.00 for an 830 if you trade it in to Verizon which is more than you can get in the open market...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I will post mine later today although I don't really see how it will be helpful. The AT&T rep I dealt with seized on the fact that I bought mine at a MS store even though that isn't mentioned in the complaint. She and MS both used the words "buyers remorse" when denying my claim (she claimed she spoke with MS about it). The only remorse we 830 users have is believing AT&T wouldn't screw us and we all know how well that worked out.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will post mine later today although I don't really see how it will be helpful. The AT&T rep I dealt with seized on the fact that I bought mine at a MS store even though that isn't mentioned in the complaint. She and MS both used the words "buyers remorse" when denying my claim (she claimed she spoke with MS about it). The only remorse we 830 users have is believing AT&T wouldn't screw us and we all know how well that worked out.
If you bought it from MS off contract, then ATT wouldn't do anything for it. Take it to MS is the only way. Focus on the defects, so buyers remorse become nonsense.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you bought it from MS off contract, then ATT wouldn't do anything for it. Take it to MS is the only way. Focus on the defects, so buyers remorse become nonsense.
Well the only actual "defect" my phone has is the lack of Denim. I haven't had any other problems to speak of. The rep said, and I'm paraphrasing, "well it's just the camera". Duh, but it's a big deal to the 830 users.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well the only actual "defect" my phone has is the lack of Denim. I haven't had any other problems to speak of. The rep said, and I'm paraphrasing, "well it's just the camera". Duh, but it's a big deal to the 830 users.

There are two well known defects: 1. Bluetooth connection. It may not be easy to reproduce, but there are many complaints here and you could read them. 2. Netflix. That's easy to reproduce, just install the app and sign up for the trial membership if you don't have a account yet. There might be more, check the bug threads.

Camera is a gray area, the only thing we could argue is that MS promoted the new camera experience but fail to deliver it. Also, you could find twitters that ATT and MS told consumers that the update is coming, so you believe them and didn't return the phone in time. So they misguided the consumers.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's official, I'm off AT&T. I switched over to a 735 and so far, so good. I have to mention this though. The rep tried to talk me out of a Windows Phone by telling me that Microsoft is abandoning the mobile phone market in 2016. I said, yeah, whatever, just go get me a 735, which amazingly they had in stock. Having said that, this was one of my better experiences in a Verizon store.

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Please respond if you have experience or a complete understanding of this situation. I am fearful of proceeding.

Thank you very much...

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You misunderstand the difference between sim unlocked and carrier/factory unlocked.
Sim unlocked means you can pop in any sim and it'll work, but it's still a carrier phone. Carrier/factory unlocked is unlocked from the factory, a phone that is both sim unlocked and not locked into any carrier.

Sim unlocking is all you can do on the AT&T 830, and you are still 100% still dependent on AT&T for updates.

So, you are in the same boat as quite a few of us.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I hope someone will respond to my question.

I am urgently trying to get past the AT&T non-support of Update 2 and full Denim support.
I spoke with MS employee who said if the phone were unlocked it would be able to receive OTA update.

I have received unlock code and I have purchased a ConsumerCellular Sim. Can I remove the ATT SIM replace with CC SIM apply the unlock code procedure. Once complete and turned off, can I insert the ATT SIM to properly work or will that phone no longer function on the ATT Network even with an ATT SIM inserted? I want the Update 2 but I do not want to kick myself off of the ATT Network.

Your Consumer Cellular SIM card will not prompt you for the unlock code. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's service, so your phone will work without being unlocked. You need to use a SIM card that does not use AT&T's service to get the unlock prompt.

Either way, even if you use the unlock code and get the phone SIM unlocked, it will not affect its compatibility with AT&T. It will work with AT&T exactly as it did before. The difference is that you can then use it with other GSM carriers as well.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Meanwhile...
I got a call form Microsoft today in response to my complaint about the RM-983 that I put in two weeks ago. They want to assure me that they are working with AT&T on getting us an update. Of course trying to determine the validity of that reassurance was a bit like nailing Jello to a wall, so I don't know what to think.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i'd trust a microsoft answer over an at&t answer, but in the end, the people responding to bbb complaints have very little clue as to the actual status of the needed update.

considering filing a BBB claim, wanting an official post on the at&t consumer blog as to whether or not the update is coming or not....

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I submitted a rebuttal to my BBB claim where I was told that they were still testing the software and that all software is thoroughly tested before it is released to the customers. In the rebuttal, I pointed to this community and varying responses we had received, including reports that AT&T likely will never release the update for the 830.

I received a phone call yesterday. At first, the rep said that "they haven't received the update" from Microsoft yet. I pointed out that I was previously told that the technical department was testing the update, and it didn't make sense that they were testing it before if they haven't received the update.

She then changed her message. She said that while the technical unit might have the update, she just meant that AT&T hasn't publicly released the update yet, and that I will be notified on my device when they do. Basically, she just outlined what everyone knew before. This conversation reaffirmed what Ashram just stated. These people responding to complaints really don't have any clue, and probably don't have the clearance to find any definitive answers for their customers.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and probably don't have the clearance to find any definitive answers for their customers.

clearance or time. could you imagine how behind they would be if every claim was thoroughly researched?

You'd think AT&T would have better communications internally. Maybe even a support team for the people that respond to BBB claims. A team that has a good amount of knowledge about their products and with contacts within the various internal teams.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
You'd think AT&T would have better communications internally. Maybe even a support team for the people that respond to BBB claims. A team that has a good amount of knowledge about their products and with contacts within the various internal teams.

I used to work for an AT&T retail store and know first hand that the front line of customer support gets very little information about this type of thing. We never knew anything about iPhone launches until Apple made public statements at WWDC, and often didn't know about the launch of other phones until our new price lists were available within a week of the launch.

I agree that the BBB responding agents should have more internal communication and support tools to address these types of complaints, but it sounds like they are just as much in the dark as regular customer service. I suppose this is either due to a poorly contructed corporate model, or it is intentional to avoid exposing company secrets before they are ready for a public announcement. Either way, it is not a good way to express that the company appreciates its customers and cares about their concerns.

JasonSCarter

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Lumia support on Twitter took down my info, and I got a call from Microsoft today finally. She said basically, Microsoft has been working with ATT on the 830 update, but at the end of the road, it's really up to ATT on if they will, or will not release the update. And if they don't, all she can say is "sorry" As to why the 983 model isn't listed on Microsoft's phone update page anymore, she was clueless as to why, and took that as "feedback" to check on with somebody else.

No real information at all that we didn't' already know. We can still enjoy the "classic" camera she did point out. What a joke.

How many Verizon uses had to complain before Microsoft would publically announce the update for the Icon was coming. I told them they need to do the same thing and let us all know publically what is happening with the status of the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon