Switch from BlackBerry?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have a 9900 due in part to the camera. I felt the 9700 had a better camera than the 9900. I like the L900 camera better than that on the 9700, particularly for closeups and barcode scanning.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

moe1up

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I came from a 9900 and have no regrets. Use it for biz and personal. Some getting use to, not having a keyboard and universal search, but not painful at all. Plus the attention it gets is a better trade off than " You still have a BlackBerry?!?!?!?"

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never saw the appeal of universal search. I never used it when I used BlackBerry.

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I came from a 9900 and have no regrets. Use it for biz and personal. Some getting use to, not having a keyboard and universal search, but not painful at all. Plus the attention it gets is a better trade off than " You still have a BlackBerry?!?!?!?"

Gotta miss universl search. Waas becoming very handy in various situations

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I mostly used email, BBM and Twitter and never made or received many phone calls; so universal search didn't do much for me.

moe1up

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I never saw the appeal of universal search. I never used it when I used BlackBerry.

Universal search was awesome. Type anything, and I mean anything and everything would come up. A search for "donuts" for example brought up all my friends named donuts, any email that had donuts, any text that had donuts, any place nearby that sold donuts, and a google search for donuts.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My complaint about universal search was that it searched contacts. I never wanted or needed that type of search.

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can customize what it searches for from settings.
If she truly knew how it worked he would know that. When it comes to actual communication BB hasn't been beaten yet,it is just an excellent phone with the most customizable alert system ever.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If he truly knew how it worked he would know that. When it comes to actual communication BB hasn't been beaten yet,it is just an excellent phone with the most customizable alert system ever.

I did know that.

I guess the thing is that I really did not need "communication" that much.

Since I didn't have BES, there was no advantage to BlackBerry for email. Any device handles personal email just as well. If anything BIS email is the worst, due to truncated emails.

Phone calls are the feature I've always used the least, no matter what device I've owned.

I really needed a better browser, no lagging/freezing/hourglass, and better video streaming apps (Netflix).

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I did know that.

I guess the thing is that I really did not need "communication" that much.

Since I didn't have BES, there was no advantage to BlackBerry for email. Any device handles personal email just as well. If anything BIS email is the worst, due to truncated emails.

Phone calls are the feature I've always used the least, no matter what device I've owned.

I really needed a better browser, no lagging/freezing/hourglass, and better video streaming apps (Netflix).
The truncated email thing has been fixed since the first major update to BB-OS7

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
One of my major issues with my 9700 was that it wouldn't always connect to BIS from overseas and specially with free public wifi like airports and hotels. BBM or emails were not possible, and considering the BB was mainly for emails this was totally unacceptable. :)

emirozmen

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
One of my major issues with my 9700 was that it wouldn't always connect to BIS from overseas and specially with free public wifi like airports and hotels. BBM or emails were not possible, and considering the BB was mainly for emails this was totally unacceptable. :)

Strange. Never had that issue.

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I know. None of the OS7 devices appealed to me due to lack of apps or hardware deficiencies, i.e. lousy camera on 9900 and lack of apps for OS7 in general.
To be honest at this point the Bold takes better pictures than the Lumia. I saw no hardware deficiencies whatsoever in the new Bold.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be honest at this point the Bold takes better pictures than the Lumia. I saw no hardware deficiencies whatsoever in the new Bold.

I frequently take close-up pictures, which require autofocus.

The 9900 also has a tiny screen. The 9810 has a bigger screen and better camera, but there is still a dearth of apps (no Netflix, for one).

Re: hardware deficiencies, no current Blackberry supports LTE either.

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I frequently take close-up pictures, which require autofocus.

The 9900 also has a tiny screen. The 9810 has a bigger screen and better camera, but there is still a dearth of apps (no Netflix, for one).

Re: hardware deficiencies, no current Blackberry supports LTE either.
Have you ever used a 9900 or are you just talking ? The screen isn't tiny at all its wide which makes a difference. The new devices RIM is coming out with should address the alleged hardware shortcomings but remember hardware needs are based on the platform kinda like Windows Phone is just plain old single core. The biggest problem RIM hade is people that shouldn't have had BB's to begin with.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever used a 9900 or are you just talking ? The screen isn't tiny at all its wide which makes a difference. The new devices RIM is coming out with should address the alleged hardware shortcomings but remember hardware needs are based on the platform kinda like Windows Phone is just plain old single core. The biggest problem RIM hade is people that shouldn't have had BB's to begin with.
I tried a 9900 in the store. The screen is tiny compared to any all touchscreen device.

I used BlackBerry for 3 years (9000/9700). I've done all the tricks with shrinking the OS, loading hybrids, etc. I'm also lak611 on Crackberry, so you can see I'm not a noob when it comes to BlackBerry.

I kept an upgrade for 11 months, hoping to get BB10 "early this year" since that's what RIM originally said. The OS7 devices just were not enough of an upgrade for me to bother. Then my city was getting LTE, so it was either Android or Windows Phone, and I chose Windows Phone. I couldn't live with a 9700 any longer, and couldn't justify the expense (even with carrier subsidy) for the OS7 devices which were already EOL'd in the US, and lacking features available in both Windows Phone and Android.

Mr Bigs

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried a 9900 in the store. The screen is tiny compared to any all touchscreen device.

I used BlackBerry for 3 years (9000/9700). I've done all the tricks with shrinking the OS, loading hybrids, etc. I'm also lak611 on Crackberry, so you can see I'm not a noob when it comes to BlackBerry.

I kept an upgrade for 11 months, hoping to get BB10 "early this year" since that's what RIM originally said. The OS7 devices just were not enough of an upgrade for me to bother. Then my city was getting LTE, so it was either Android or Windows Phone, and I chose Windows Phone. I couldn't live with a 9700 any longer, and couldn't justify the expense (even with carrier subsidy) for the OS7 devices which were already EOL'd in the US, and lacking features available in both Windows Phone and Android.
When and where did RIM ever promise BB10 early this year ????? It has always been Q4 of 2012.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon