Camera photos sharper when shot with screen touch?

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I was playing with the camera and I noticed, that every time, photos shot using touch screen method are sharper when using the camera button(press half way for focus, then all the way for photo).

Also, everytime I was trying to focus on the same object, using both methods.

Anyone else noticed that?

robert brand

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Sure, if you take a photo, often times its easier to keep the camera still while your touching the screen lightly. The act of pushing down the button creates movement. This is why you might be seeing better results.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between blurry, and not-sharp (soft).

I have found I get more "blurry" pictures when using the side button, but the pictures are not any sharper if I press the screen versus pressing the button. Pressing the screen does have the advantage of focusing a smaller, more accurate area compared to the larger area the auto-focus attempts to focus on when pressing the button.

/my $0.02

robert brand

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
My mother has a Lumia 800 and pressing the screen is the only way she is able to EVER take a photo that is in focus. I think its just a case of whatever works best for you.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sure, if you take a photo, often times its easier to keep the camera still while your touching the screen lightly. The act of pushing down the button creates movement. This is why you might be seeing better results.

Actually, you are absolutely right with this one.

What I meant is that photos are more blurry when using the button and the phone movement, when you press the button, completely explains that.

Even OIS will not help in this case so I think that the camera button is a bit useless if you want sharp photos... :/

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have experimented with this quite a bit, and with this phone I have seen no difference in using the shutter vs the screen due to the OIS. If you are cognizant of fact that pressing a shutter can cause movement, you just steady your hand and lightly press down on the shutter key. I get the same results using the touch screen, even at 100% zoom there is no difference. For moving objects like people/kids, I like to half-press and wait for the moment I want to capture, then complete the press. In other situations where the object is still, the touchscreen is fine.

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
2 things happening here, one is that it's a lot easier to keep perfectly still when shooting by tapping on the screen then it is to press half way, then by the time you fully press you either shake or move out of focus even if just slightly, some people's hands even shake while pressing the camera button to the second level if they press hard.

The second thing is, where you tap on the screen is where the camera will focus, you can pick your focal point by tapping on the part of the image you want to focus on (Tap on a face and that becomes the focal point, tap on a candle and it becomes sharp while everything else is out of focus) most of the time you'll want to tap on the subject's face, as opposed to using the auto focus half-press which could pick up another area that's not of interest and you could end up with a blurry photo.

I liked the idea of the 2 stage shutter, but until Nokia adds face detect or multi-point focal points, I'm sticking with screen tapping and choosing my areas of focus manually.

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that most shutter keys on phones are waaay to hard to press for the relative lightness of a phone. It would be much better if the shutter key could not trigger the camera app which would make it possible to fit the phone with a shutter key that has a much lighter spring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon