STAY AWAY from Photo Beamer and Ringtone Maker!!!

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
One of these apps will seriously reduce your batterylife. It's more likely that the Photo Beamer app is causing this but I can't say for sure.

• After installing both of these apps and using them 55% battery charge showed 6 hours usage time left.
  • After uninstalling both of these apps 55% battery charge now shows 1 day 18 hours usage time left.

I am too lazy, and I don't find these apps all that useful, to test which one of the named apps is really causing this issue.

I have, however, concluded the following:
  • Restarting your phone with these apps doesn't fix the problem.
  • Uninstalling these apps without restarting doesn't fix the problem.
  • The only known fix is to uninstall both apps and then restart the phone.

EDIT:
As for testing in a controlled state the usage was exactly the same. Same settings for email accounts before and after. Logged in to facebook chat before and after (without sending or receiving any messages). Phone was lying flat on my table for a few minutes and only unlocked to check battery life.
  • 52% battery charge now shows 13 hours.

Last edited:

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Pretty pointless thread............

Update: thanks for adding a bit more information as to why you felt it was these 2 apps causing your battery problems, however, the battery remaining time will change all the time depending on recent usage.

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I have both installed and ZERO issues. Plus I see no theory here on why these apps, which do not operate in the background, would cause battery drain.

I'm a scientist by training. Give me a hypothesis. There's one for Drive+ but not for these apps. (Speaking of, taking a problem you're experiencing and extrapolating and generalizing that to everyone else is bad logic. The alarmist tone here is hyperbolic).

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have both installed and ZERO issues. Plus I see no theory here on why these apps, which do not operate in the background, would cause battery drain.

I'm a scientist by training. Give me a hypothesis. There's one for Drive+ but not for these apps. (Speaking of, taking a problem you're experiencing and extrapolating and generalizing that to everyone else is bad logic. The alarmist tone here is hyperbolic).

I agree that they shouldn't cause any battery drain since they cannot operate in the background. I am however experiencing what I stated above with the same usage before and after.

I created the thread cause I was experiencing this issue but I must admit that the name of the thread is a bit too dramatic. Maybe you can be change it to something less provoking.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No drain here with PhotoBeamer. I'll install Ringtone Maker, but I doubt that will drain anything when not in use.

I agree with Daniel. At least have a hypothesis as to why you believe those apps are draining power. It's hard to believe that you can make such a conclusion based on just day to day use because that's not a controlled environment. You do a lot of things and go to different environments during the day, all of which could have an effect on battery life.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I installed and ran Photobeamer 2 days ago and ran a quick test with it. The following day, I had my battery drained down to 30% in under 3 hours. A reboot corrected the issue. This was the only new app to be installed during that time, and I ran no other apps other than my usual ones on those days, all of which have not caused a battery drain issue.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I too experienced this and did receive better (though not great) battery life after uninstalling them. Like the thread I started, I found it hard to believe that these apps could cause problems because they are 1st party apps made by nokia. However for some reason they do zap battery on my phone even when not running.

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Before: Logged in to facebook in messenger hub, but other than that idle state.
After uninstalling: Logged in to facebook in messenger hub, but other than that idle state.

I barely touch my phone when I'm in the home office, it's just lying flat on the table. So I'm 100% sure the usage was the same before as after.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...here we go again.

The time remaining shown is a function of your most recent usage pattern!!! The same 53% could be 1 day or 3 hours depending on what you did on your phone in the past hour or so. That's how the OS calculates the time remaining.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...here we go again.

The time remaining shown is a function of your most recent usage pattern!!! The same 53% could be 1 day or 3 hours depending on what you did on your phone in the past hour or so. That's how the OS calculates the time remaining.

That's good to know, however in my situation it shows 6 hours with little usage.

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...here we go again.

Agreed. But how does that explain the fact that restarting the phone didn't change anything (this takes about 20 seconds) while uninstalling and then restarting caused an immediate jump (this takes about 40 seconds).

If the observed anomaly is due to what you say that must have meant that a recalculation was triggered right after the phone booted up the second time.

I had noticed the same issue as in the thread by boo516 a few days earlier. I noticed the common apps as I read the thread today, picked up my phone, restarted the phone, checked battery life, same time estimate. I then navigated to app menu, uninstalled the apps, restarted the phone, checked battery life and had a new estimate. Again, this was in my home office, where my phone is barely touched, and the only activity is being logged in to facebook chat and updating my email every 30 min.

Perhaps the uninstallation of the apps triggered a recalculation of the battery time or a very timely email update?

Honestly, I don't know what is causing this, but there are as many people calling me crazy in this thread as there are people saying their chargers hasn't destroyed their phones. Currently I'm going to stay away from those two apps and see if the charger has any effect. Hopefully more people can debunk one of the issues so that we can know for sure.

camaroguy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Does photobeamer use Bluetooth? I noticed on my phone that even turning Bluetooth on really sucks my battery, there could be a correlation here. It could be that only some phones are affected in this way by the Bluetooth being turned on. My phone also feels warm to the touch when its just idling if I have Bluetooth on, but not when Bluetooth is off.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Have both apps, no issues with battery life at all. In fact, I forgot to charge my phone last night and it still has a pretty full charge.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What about Skype? Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Make sure under Settings --> Accounts none are in a permanent "sync" status.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3