01-03-2013 06:31 PM
142 12345 ...
tools
    I have removed gMaps and the battery has dropped less % while in idle mode. However, I still find the battery generally disappointing. After 11 hours, my phone is already at 7%. I do use my phone quite a bit.

I bet those who are getting over 30 hours and still have 48% left are not using their phone at all.
    Dave Blake likes this.
    12-29-2012 01:50 PM
    I am starting to think that the battery drain is local only to US users. If i am not mistaken that you guys are all on At&t . If such is the case i believe that it could just be the custom rom or firmware that could be the reason for battery drain. I know of personally two other 920 users here in germany and there is no problem with battery.
    12-29-2012 03:34 PM
    I have removed gMaps and the battery has dropped less % while in idle mode. However, I still find the battery generally disappointing. After 11 hours, my phone is already at 7%. I do use my phone quite a bit.

I bet those who are getting over 30 hours and still have 48% left are not using their phone at all.
    What the heck are you talking about? I'm texting some people, making and recieving calls, listening to music and checking my mail twice a day. How is that no using my phone at all? I also had problems with my battery, but I've fixed it, as I have stated on the last page. It's not like my battery also wasn't miserable.

Try doing the same. If the problem won't go away, then you have a phone with broken battery. 11 hours is a pathetic result.
    12-29-2012 03:57 PM

Puh-lease, I didn't use my phone at all today and it already dropped to 54% in seven hours. I really hate my phone right now.
    12-29-2012 04:46 PM
    Puh-lease, I didn't use my phone at all today and it already dropped to 54% in seven hours. I really hate my phone right now.
    Copying my post from another thread:

Alot of people seem to be having problems with random battery drains. I think a few things are becoming clear. My phone has had this problem as well. I've used battery measure for wp8 and the graph function makes it really easy to tell when its happening. You'll see a long period of very slow battery drain followed by a very steep drop.

1. This does not appear to be a device issue. People are reporting great battery life one day and then very poor the next day on the same phone. Returning your phone for this reason and exchanging it may not help.

2. This is not a specific app issue. Lots of reports of people saying "X app is the problem, uninstalling it fixed it" followed by many others reporting having that app and having no problems.

3. I think this is an API issue. Once certain apps activate a specific and as yet unknown API, they will trigger rapid battery drain sometimes but not always associated with the phone becoming hot to the touch.

For me, when i noticed accelerated battery drain, a quick restart (note NOT reset but restart) of the phone is all that is needed to clear the drain
    wp_ss_20121227_0001.png

That drop towards the right is while the phone is idling. I noticed the phone was warm, restarted it and went about my business. Battery back to usual awesome. This does not excuse microsoft or nokia, this is clearly and issue that must be fixed. But endless cycles of returning your phone or uninstalling apps is probably not going to be your panacea.

In summary, if your battery is draining faster than it should, restart your phone.
    12-29-2012 04:51 PM
    I uninstalled whatsapp and now it looks like my battery is back to normal. I'll check back after the day. In four hours of idle and light use I'm at 99%.
    12-29-2012 04:55 PM
    I uninstalled whatsapp and now it looks like my battery is back to normal. I'll check back after the day. In four hours of idle and light use I'm at 99%.
    So what is this? Can't even use WhatsApp now? So first it was Nokia Drive, gMaps, Metrotube, Wordamant, and other apps, now it's WhatsApp, one of the most important apps I use?

Even after Portico update, this is still happening? Yeah, I notice my phone getting hot after using Nokia Maps, texting on WhatsApp and browsing on IE10, but that's normal. What's not normal is battery drain like crazy. Someone said it's an API trigger issue, well that's for MS and Nokia to figure out.

I thought MS had fixed the battery issue, but they didn't. This is turning out to be quite a disappointment for early users of Windows Phone 8.

Oh and let me add Skype to the list of battery draining apps.
    12-29-2012 05:02 PM
    What the heck are you talking about? I'm texting some people, making and recieving calls, listening to music and checking my mail twice a day. How is that no using my phone at all? I also had problems with my battery, but I've fixed it, as I have stated on the last page. It's not like my battery also wasn't miserable.

Try doing the same. If the problem won't go away, then you have a phone with broken battery. 11 hours is a pathetic result.
    I am trying your method now.
    12-29-2012 05:12 PM

7% after 11 hours with quite a bit if use... I would call that a pretty good day for most any device short of a BB.

So what is this? Can't even use WhatsApp now? So first it was Nokia Drive, gMaps, Metrotube, Wordamant, and other apps, now it's WhatsApp, one of the most important apps I use?

Even after Portico update, this is still happening? Yeah, I notice my phone getting hot after using Nokia Maps, texting on WhatsApp and browsing on IE10, but that's normal. What's not normal is battery drain like crazy. Someone said it's an API trigger issue, well that's for MS and Nokia to figure out.

I thought MS had fixed the battery issue, but they didn't. This is turning out to be quite a disappointment for early users of Windows Phone 8.

Oh and let me add Skype to the list of battery draining apps.
    Skype is in beta we already know that and we already know it has syncing issues. Maybe a skiving letter to Microsoft is in order but that doesn't mean the L920 or its battery is an issue. WhatsApp just recently became available on WP8 and could have issues. In the end you have to decide what you can live with and without. I would still say if your making it through an 11 hour day your doing pretty good.

We need screen shots of your battery meter. Are you sure you are using a WP?

I also had ****ty battery life after update. Now I've fixed it:

1. Charge your battery
    2. Drain it until the phone shuts itself off
    3. Try to turn it on. If all you see is a low battery icon, then wait for like 1 hour and try again
    4. When the phone boots up, go to battery information and check the percentage. I still had 22% left even thought the phone wouldn't turn itself on 30 minutes earlier
    5. Drain it again, this time it will be completely drained
    6. Recharge

There, now your battery should be much better. I know it worked for me. Over 30 hours and I still have 48% left

This is a very bad idea this is a good way to fry your device and make it so it will never charge aging. If you deplete these battery's completely they can become damaged and never charge again. Where are you getting your information from?
    12-29-2012 05:14 PM
    double post
    12-29-2012 05:24 PM
    From my personal usage? When i successfuly turned the phone on, there still was 22% of battery (at least that is what the indicator was showing me). Bad idea? I'm not an expert, but now I'm getting 2 full days of usage, opposing to miserable 10-12 hours before.

We need screen shots of your battery meter. Are you sure you are using a WP?
    No, it's iOS 2.0 and I was sent here by Apple to destroy all your phone batteries :lol:.

I mean come on, why do you accuse me of lying? Since completely draining my battery, I'm getting 2 days of usage.

Period.
    12-29-2012 05:25 PM
    From my personal usage? When i successfuly turned the phone on, there still was 22% of battery (at least that is what the indicator was showing me). Bad idea? I'm not an expert, but now I'm getting 2 full days of usage, opposing to miserable 10-12 hours before.

No, it's iOS 2.0 and I was sent here by Apple to destroy all your phone batteries :lol:.

I mean come on, why do you accuse me of lying? Since completely draining my battery, I'm getting 2 days of usage.

Period.
    You cant be talking about an iPhone you wouldn't be getting that kind of battery life from one of those devices either.

The 2000 mAh LiPoly battery on the L920 is protected from dropping below a certain voltage to keep from harming the battery if you are doing this on propose you will damage your battery. These batteries do not need conditioning they respond better and last longer when kept topped off or closer to fully charged.

What would be the harm in providing us a screen shot of your battery life. I have used these devices for a long time to expect the battery life you are calming is suspect to me. I could indeed be wrong. Why not install battery level app on your L920 and give us a 30 hour graph of your battery consumption so we can all see how you are doing it.
    12-29-2012 05:55 PM
    2 days on iPhone 4 is impossible with normal usage? Good to know.

What would be the harm in providing us a screen shot of your battery life. I have used these devices for a long time to expect the battery life you are calming is suspect to me. I could indeed be wrong. Why not install battery level app on your L920 and give us a 30 hour graph of your battery consumption so we can all see how you are doing it.
    No problem good sir. I'm going to sleep now, but tomorrow in the morning I will download this app and report back after 30 hours. If I don't deliever, you can call me a liar.

edit: Oh, and about this Battery Level app: I assume battery doesn't take a hit because of it? I remember reading a while ago, that there were some problem with one app which was connected to battery.
    12-29-2012 06:10 PM
    To the OP I want to tell you my daily usage of my L920. I use my device I don't worry about batter much. I pick up my phone at 5:30 am before lunch I make about 10 to 30 calls between calls I listen to music. I use a Bluetooth headset so Bluetooth is on. I have a charging stand I use so NFC is on. I use WIFI at home so WIFI is on I never turn anything off. I have 2 emails one on push at all times the other pulls mail every 2 hours.

Background Tasks I have running:
    Accuweather
    Amazing weather HD
    Battery Level
    Locksider+
    Nolia Drive
    USA Today
    Weather (Weather Channel app)
    WeatherMaster
    WPCentral

All running in the background. I am a bit of a weather nut.
    I have 73 apps in my app list. I use my device. I will surf some between calls, I also use the WPC app a few times a day and music. When I sit down at lunch my phone is usually between 50%-80% depending on the number of calls. More longer calls less battery. I charge for around 30 minutes while I eat my lunch. Then at the end of the day after another 10 to 20 calls and listening to music surfing, using the WPC app, I can expect to sit down at my chair around 6 pm with my battery at around 20% to 30%.

I have had days where I will notice that my battery is draining more quickly. Its not all the time I am not sure what causes it. It doesn't happen enough for me to develop a pattern. When I see that I have lost more than 10% battery in a hour I reset my device. This seams to end the battery drain for me.
    12-29-2012 09:31 PM
    2 days on iPhone 4 is impossible with normal usage? Good to know.

No problem good sir. I'm going to sleep now, but tomorrow in the morning I will download this app and report back after 30 hours. If I don't deliever, you can call me a liar.

edit: Oh, and about this Battery Level app: I assume battery doesn't take a hit because of it? I remember reading a while ago, that there were some problem with one app which was connected to battery.

I just noticed your edit. Not that I am aware of I have had it on my Lumia sense the app was releaser I haven't noticed any issues with it. You might like the app its nice to have when you want to monitor the battery on your device.
    12-29-2012 09:34 PM
    I think that you are the closest to an answer.
    I also started using an app and the phone started getting warm and drawing the battery. The first time that this occurred I exited the app, however it kept draining and killed the phone quickly.
    When it occurred on a different day, I restarted the phone, and it cooled off.
    I firmly believe that some api/process gets stuck using 100% of the processing power.

Has any other of the wp8 exhibited this problem? If no, then it is nokia's to fix. If it is occurring on other models, it is Microsoft.
    12-29-2012 09:52 PM
    I think the API solution is best one... Apps like IM+, Mybatterystatus , Facebook(yes the updated version) all have this kind of effect on the phone.. after uninstalling these apps I did a soft reset .. Getting close to 14 hours battery life with medium use.
    Another thing, the whatsapp for wp8 is really buggy and slow as it is .. on top of that it even drains battery pretty heavily.. whenever I used it for extended periods there was significant amount of battery drain.. On the other hand, whenever I avoided whatsapp and continued using IE, Metrotube, Twitter, Weave, Messaging the battery life as pretty good...
    I have always been a bit reluctant about getting my phone reset. That's why I tried out multiple solutions and I guess they have worked.
    P.S.: Still need a good messenger app for Gtalk and a better whatsapp. However bad Android might be, whatsapp for Android is way better than that on WP. Hope it gets updated soon to the said 'six times faster' levels.
    12-29-2012 11:25 PM
    At 11 hours and 75% battery. This is after uninstalling whatsapp. Yesterday with the same usage I was at 14% at 10 hours.
    12-29-2012 11:39 PM
    Well guys I had my old sprint HTC as well AT&T lumia for a month, HTC was the main phone. I wanted to test out LUMIA and AT&T before the switch but I was really busy with work so I couldn't experiment with it too much. That being said I was getting REALLY good stand-by times with 920. Now the only new app I am using on top of everything I previously had on my phone is " whatsapp ". My idle charge went down drastically so I am going to uninstall that and see what happens.
    12-29-2012 11:46 PM
    To the OP I want to tell you my daily usage of my L920. I use my device I don't worry about batter much. I pick up my phone at 5:30 am before lunch I make about 10 to 30 calls between calls I listen to music. I use a Bluetooth headset so Bluetooth is on. I have a charging stand I use so NFC is on. I use WIFI at home so WIFI is on I never turn anything off. I have 2 emails one on push at all times the other pulls mail every 2 hours.

Background Tasks I have running:
    Accuweather
    Amazing weather HD
    Battery Level
    Locksider+
    Nolia Drive
    USA Today
    Weather (Weather Channel app)
    WeatherMaster
    WPCentral

All running in the background. I am a bit of a weather nut.
    I have 73 apps in my app list. I use my device. I will surf some between calls, I also use the WPC app a few times a day and music. When I sit down at lunch my phone is usually between 50%-80% depending on the number of calls. More longer calls less battery. I charge for around 30 minutes while I eat my lunch. Then at the end of the day after another 10 to 20 calls and listening to music surfing, using the WPC app, I can expect to sit down at my chair around 6 pm with my battery at around 20% to 30%.

I have had days where I will notice that my battery is draining more quickly. Its not all the time I am not sure what causes it. It doesn't happen enough for me to develop a pattern. When I see that I have lost more than 10% battery in a hour I reset my device. This seams to end the battery drain for me.
    To me, this sounds much more like a realistic battery report. I am sure this is what I get. We'll have to see about the guy going for over 30 hours without a charge and still have 48% left.
    12-30-2012 12:11 AM
    I think the API solution is best one... Apps like IM+, Mybatterystatus , Facebook(yes the updated version) all have this kind of effect on the phone.. after uninstalling these apps I did a soft reset .. Getting close to 14 hours battery life with medium use.
    Another thing, the whatsapp for wp8 is really buggy and slow as it is .. on top of that it even drains battery pretty heavily.. whenever I used it for extended periods there was significant amount of battery drain.. On the other hand, whenever I avoided whatsapp and continued using IE, Metrotube, Twitter, Weave, Messaging the battery life as pretty good...
    I have always been a bit reluctant about getting my phone reset. That's why I tried out multiple solutions and I guess they have worked.
    P.S.: Still need a good messenger app for Gtalk and a better whatsapp. However bad Android might be, whatsapp for Android is way better than that on WP. Hope it gets updated soon to the said 'six times faster' levels.
    Yeah Android's pretty bad in most aspects, enough said.

Problem with soft reset for me is the date and time gets reset as well. The Auto date correction does not do a darn thing!
    12-30-2012 12:13 AM
    I flashed back to the previous firmware which had great battery life for me. We will see what happens.
    12-30-2012 01:00 AM
    Can anyone explain why my phone went from 50% to 75% after a reboot? Went through the day with some light usage. Decided to reboot to fix a minor problem I was having. Battery jumps back up in the process.
    12-30-2012 01:01 AM
    Can anyone explain why my phone went from 50% to 75% after a reboot? Went through the day with some light usage. Decided to reboot to fix a minor problem I was having. Battery jumps back up in the process.
    You probably had more battery juice than indicated before the reboot.
    12-30-2012 02:13 AM
    Yeah Android's pretty bad in most aspects, enough said.

Problem with soft reset for me is the date and time gets reset as well. The Auto date correction does not do a darn thing!
    The auto date correction works for me ... the date only gets reset for a couple of minutes and then the auto date correction kicks in and the date is set back to normal..
    Have performed the soft reset twice till now.. Auto Date correction worked both times
    12-30-2012 04:12 AM
142 12345 ...