Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

Maceo3121

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are auto syncing your camera roll and videos to skydrive then that would explain why the battery ran out so quick. Your phone was probably uploading all the photos and videos you took via wifi.

Rajesh Rajendran

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
i find the same.. the phone gets super hot on the top within 5 mins of whatsapp usage and battery drains really fast.
From what i have been reading, it looks like the portico update havent made any significant difference to the phone. =.="

i am a lumia 920 (yellow) user. was so excited and been proud on the phones built and the screen. sorry to say... but now I kinda regret my decision of choosing this phone.
Nokia must address these issues as soon as possible as this is their last hope in staying afloat in the phone market.

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I will say that it is possible to get good battery life on this phone. I am getting the battery to last all day 16 -18 hours now. I even had it connected to my wifi with the "stay connected" on all day. I switched my messaging to Skype and probably made about 45 minutes of phone calls. So there are either a lot of bad batteries out there or there is some app getting hung up. Or maybe several apps since not everyone has the same ones. Wonder if it could be WP7 apps that were not ported to WP8 correctly?

steve kaufmann

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a problem similar to this, there are some apps that drained my battery, I'm not sure which app but i suspect it was a battery % app. I deleted approx. 3 apps that I believe was the time the my phone starting acting up also the phone got hot along with battery draining. Once I deleted the apps it was fine. Watch on some of the battery apps you download.

Wit Stwosz

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I also had ****ty battery life after update. Now I've fixed it:

1. Charge your battery
2. Drain it until the phone shuts itself off
3. Try to turn it on. If all you see is a low battery icon, then wait for like 1 hour and try again
4. When the phone boots up, go to battery information and check the percentage. I still had 22% left even thought the phone wouldn't turn itself on 30 minutes earlier
5. Drain it again, this time it will be completely drained
6. Recharge

There, now your battery should be much better. I know it worked for me. Over 30 hours and I still have 48% left

danbbrantley

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For all the new posters in here, welcome to the forum. There's lots of helpful tips here. That said, if you only got your phone a few days ago, you should continue to use the phone until you've had it for 10 days or so before returning the phone. If there is one thing consistent about these posts across multiple threads, its that battery life improves dramatically after some time.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

1. Charge your battery
3. Try to turn it on. If all you see is a low battery icon, then wait for like 1 hour and try again
4. When the phone boots up, go to battery information and check the percentage. I still had 22% left even thought the phone wouldn't turn itself on 30 minutes earlier
6. Recharge

There, now your battery should be much better. I know it worked for me. Over 30 hours and I still have 48% left

Well this has to be the only thing I have not tried. I did try something similar though. What I did was

1)Drain battery till phone shuts self off
2) Try to put it on but would see battery icon.
3) continuously tried to turn phone until it was dead dead dead and would not come back on.
4)let it charge for a full 10 hours over night.
5)battery life was still just as ****ty.

I'm wondering if your method would make any difference...

anon(361265)

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not normal. With your listed usage, with a full charge, I would definitely be at greater than 50% battery life with my Red 920 w/Portico.

You've said your wifi is set to on... was it on while you were out and about, not connected to a hotspot? That would be my only, albeit uneducated, guess as to your drain.

Although if you just updated to Portico, I would strongly recommend a complete discharge/charge cycle and then a soft reset. My battery life was pretty poor before doing that when I got the phone at launch and then again after the update.

And for what its worth, I haven't noticed any change in my own battery life before/after the Portico update.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I always have WLAN on personally and my battery life is great, so it's not that. I like how it always connects to known Wifis, be it at home, at my moms place, school, dads place etc.

So I doubt it's WLAN. On the other hand I have BT and NFC turned off cos I have zero use for them personally.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have removed gMaps and the battery has dropped less % while in idle mode. However, I still find the battery generally disappointing. After 11 hours, my phone is already at 7%. I do use my phone quite a bit.

I bet those who are getting over 30 hours and still have 48% left are not using their phone at all.

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am starting to think that the battery drain is local only to US users. If i am not mistaken that you guys are all on At&t . If such is the case i believe that it could just be the custom rom or firmware that could be the reason for battery drain. I know of personally two other 920 users here in germany and there is no problem with battery.

Wit Stwosz

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have removed gMaps and the battery has dropped less % while in idle mode. However, I still find the battery generally disappointing. After 11 hours, my phone is already at 7%. I do use my phone quite a bit.

I bet those who are getting over 30 hours and still have 48% left are not using their phone at all.

What the heck are you talking about? I'm texting some people, making and recieving calls, listening to music and checking my mail twice a day. How is that no using my phone at all? I also had problems with my battery, but I've fixed it, as I have stated on the last page. It's not like my battery also wasn't miserable.

Try doing the same. If the problem won't go away, then you have a phone with broken battery. 11 hours is a pathetic result.

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Puh-lease, I didn't use my phone at all today and it already dropped to 54% in seven hours. I really hate my phone right now.

Onyeka Nwankwo1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Puh-lease, I didn't use my phone at all today and it already dropped to 54% in seven hours. I really hate my phone right now.

Copying my post from another thread:

Alot of people seem to be having problems with random battery drains. I think a few things are becoming clear. My phone has had this problem as well. I've used battery measure for wp8 and the graph function makes it really easy to tell when its happening. You'll see a long period of very slow battery drain followed by a very steep drop.

1. This does not appear to be a device issue. People are reporting great battery life one day and then very poor the next day on the same phone. Returning your phone for this reason and exchanging it may not help.

2. This is not a specific app issue. Lots of reports of people saying "X app is the problem, uninstalling it fixed it" followed by many others reporting having that app and having no problems.

3. I think this is an API issue. Once certain apps activate a specific and as yet unknown API, they will trigger rapid battery drain sometimes but not always associated with the phone becoming hot to the touch.

For me, when i noticed accelerated battery drain, a quick restart (note NOT reset but restart) of the phone is all that is needed to clear the drain
wp_ss_20121227_0001.png

That drop towards the right is while the phone is idling. I noticed the phone was warm, restarted it and went about my business. Battery back to usual awesome. This does not excuse microsoft or nokia, this is clearly and issue that must be fixed. But endless cycles of returning your phone or uninstalling apps is probably not going to be your panacea.

In summary, if your battery is draining faster than it should, restart your phone.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled whatsapp and now it looks like my battery is back to normal. I'll check back after the day. In four hours of idle and light use I'm at 99%.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled whatsapp and now it looks like my battery is back to normal. I'll check back after the day. In four hours of idle and light use I'm at 99%.

So what is this? Can't even use WhatsApp now? So first it was Nokia Drive, gMaps, Metrotube, Wordamant, and other apps, now it's WhatsApp, one of the most important apps I use?

Even after Portico update, this is still happening? Yeah, I notice my phone getting hot after using Nokia Maps, texting on WhatsApp and browsing on IE10, but that's normal. What's not normal is battery drain like crazy. Someone said it's an API trigger issue, well that's for MS and Nokia to figure out.

I thought MS had fixed the battery issue, but they didn't. This is turning out to be quite a disappointment for early users of Windows Phone 8.

Oh and let me add Skype to the list of battery draining apps.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What the heck are you talking about? I'm texting some people, making and recieving calls, listening to music and checking my mail twice a day. How is that no using my phone at all? I also had problems with my battery, but I've fixed it, as I have stated on the last page. It's not like my battery also wasn't miserable.

Try doing the same. If the problem won't go away, then you have a phone with broken battery. 11 hours is a pathetic result.

I am trying your method now.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

7% after 11 hours with quite a bit if use... I would call that a pretty good day for most any device short of a BB.

So what is this? Can't even use WhatsApp now? So first it was Nokia Drive, gMaps, Metrotube, Wordamant, and other apps, now it's WhatsApp, one of the most important apps I use?

Even after Portico update, this is still happening? Yeah, I notice my phone getting hot after using Nokia Maps, texting on WhatsApp and browsing on IE10, but that's normal. What's not normal is battery drain like crazy. Someone said it's an API trigger issue, well that's for MS and Nokia to figure out.

I thought MS had fixed the battery issue, but they didn't. This is turning out to be quite a disappointment for early users of Windows Phone 8.

Oh and let me add Skype to the list of battery draining apps.

Skype is in beta we already know that and we already know it has syncing issues. Maybe a skiving letter to Microsoft is in order but that doesn't mean the L920 or its battery is an issue. WhatsApp just recently became available on WP8 and could have issues. In the end you have to decide what you can live with and without. I would still say if your making it through an 11 hour day your doing pretty good.

We need screen shots of your battery meter. Are you sure you are using a WP?

1. Charge your battery
6. Recharge

This is a very bad idea this is a good way to fry your device and make it so it will never charge aging. If you deplete these battery's completely they can become damaged and never charge again. Where are you getting your information from?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes