Ok, this is really weird so settle in. Also, it could conceivably go in the AT&T or app forum, but I'm at a loss as to the real problem.

I'm on my second yellow 920 on AT&T and I'm only getting Edge, GPRS or no data. I've tried two different sim cards and two different phones. You might be thinking it's my area, but my wife's white 920 is sitting right next to mine and it shows 4G no problem. Occasionally it turns back on, but then goes away after a period of time.

So that's the problem. I'm beyond thinking it's a phone/SIM/AT&T problem and am now thinking it's an app problem. I haven't run many apps since I restored my backup, so perhaps something in the background.

Anyone else notice this strange behavior? Today was the last chance for my 14-day return window, so anymore replacements are going to be cross shipped.
    03-11-2013 09:58 PM
    The apps will have no effect on the coverage. If you are not getting 4G on your device, but your wife is getting 4G on her device, you probably have a bad SIM. I'd suggest getting a new SIM from AT&T.

You can try putting your SIM in your wife's device and putting her SIM in your device to see what happens.
    03-11-2013 10:06 PM
    The apps will have no effect on the coverage. If you are not getting 4G on your device, but your wife is getting 4G on her device, you probably have a bad SIM. I'd suggest getting a new SIM from AT&T.

You can try putting your SIM in your wife's device and putting her SIM in your device to see what happens.
    This is my second SIM. On my first 920 I swapped the SIM and had no luck. A bad batch of yellow 920s? A bad series of SIMs?

Edit: nm, no edit (see below)
    03-11-2013 10:13 PM
    This is my second SIM. On my first 920 I swapped the SIM and had no luck. A bad batch of yellow 920s? A bad series of SIMs?
    What happens when you swap the SIMs in your device and your wife's device?
    03-11-2013 10:20 PM
    Just swapped SIMs and both phones showing 4G. Now to see if one craps out over night and switches to EDGE only.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    03-11-2013 10:21 PM
    Just swapped SIMs and both phones showing 4G. Now to see if one craps out over night and switches to EDGE only.
    If her device goes to EDGE with your SIM, then it's a bad SIM.
    03-11-2013 10:22 PM
    So which is more likely? The two yellow Lumia 920s that my local AT&T received having bad radios or two of the hundreds of SIMs that they gave out over the last week ending up with the same customer? I'm totally okay with a bad SIM - a much faster fix - but I think it more likely to be a bad round of radios. For reference, she bought hers in December and I just got mine 25 Feb.
    03-11-2013 10:28 PM
    I dropped my Lumia from 2 meters high straight to a tiled floor , face down , the screen remained intact everything else worked perfectly , sadly , I don't even get edge now . :D I'd say another phone switch is in order.
    03-11-2013 10:37 PM
    So which is more likely? The two yellow Lumia 920s that my local AT&T received having bad radios or two of the hundreds of SIMs that they gave out over the last week ending up with the same customer? I'm totally okay with a bad SIM - a much faster fix - but I think it more likely to be a bad round of radios. For reference, she bought hers in December and I just got mine 25 Feb.
    Could also be an account activation problem on AT&T's end. If none of the SIMS that AT&T assigns to you work then you might have to give AT&T a call.
    03-11-2013 10:40 PM
    This may not sound right, but is 4G/LTE enabled in your plan? Have you tried calling AT&T?
    03-11-2013 10:45 PM
    If that's the case, AT&T staff must be very incompetent. I've been to the store twice with the same issue and called support before going to the store and they claim to have checked towers. If they never looked at my account, then, well, smdh.
    Nabkawe5 likes this.
    03-11-2013 10:47 PM
    Alright, some time in the past 10-15 minutes my phone switched to EDGE only using my wife's SIM. No more 4G indicator. I guess it's time to call Nokia Care.

Meanwhile, I don't know if this is an isolated case or if there was indeed a batch of bad radios. If someone from WPCentral wants to maybe do some digging and wants any information from my phone that might help link them to a lot number, I'm happy to help. AT&T kept the box for the new phone, but I'm pretty sure it was the only other yellow 920 in store when I went to pick my first one up, so the numbers might be fairly close.
    03-11-2013 11:53 PM
    Alright, some time in the past 10-15 minutes my phone switched to EDGE only using my wife's SIM. No more 4G indicator. I guess it's time to call Nokia Care.

Meanwhile, I don't know if this is an isolated case or if there was indeed a batch of bad radios. If someone from WPCentral wants to maybe do some digging and wants any information from my phone that might help link them to a lot number, I'm happy to help. AT&T kept the box for the new phone, but I'm pretty sure it was the only other yellow 920 in store when I went to pick my first one up, so the numbers might be fairly close.
    This is very interesting. Once you call them, please tell us what they say!
    03-12-2013 12:00 AM
    Ok, not sure if this is a cause or a corollary, but I might have started to link high heat to this radio issue in having. Last night I killed time by playing Asphalt to see if my radio would fail. My phone gets very hot while playing Asphalt. Today was kind of an anomaly because I was in an LTE area all day (still no LTE for ATT here in Lansing) and never dropped data lower than 4G. Then, as I was on my way home I thought I'd test my theory about the heat. Fired up some asphalt and let it race around on itself. Sure enough, my phone's radio crapped out.

So, to any of you brave enough, would you be willing to play several rounds of Asphalt (plugged in heats it faster, I think) and see how your 920s faired? Thanks!
    03-13-2013 12:20 AM