Problems connecting Lumia 920 to Home WiFi does not recognize password

Abbeylaw

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am having problems with my Nokia Lumia 920 connecting to my Home wireless router, I only have the phone for 6 weeks the first 4 weeks it connected no problem then the following week it would not connect, it finds the router and shows good signal strength but when the password is entered it searches but always comes back Incorrect password.
I have numerous other devices in the house that connect without a problem ,including laptops, tablet ,I pods and other mobile phones .
I have tried on other wireless networks and it connects without problem.
I have returned the phone to my provider the phone came back after getting some software updates and the problem still persists , I have tried resetting the password ,resetting the router but with no success,after re setting passwords etc. all other devices connect no problem.
Could someone please offer me some solution for this problem.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
When you enter a password into a device for WiFi connection it converts it to a number. Get that number from a device that is working and try insterting that number instead of the actual password. I've done this with a laptop that wasn't playing nice and it worked.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Abbeylaw: I don't want to be rude, harsh or something like that, please don't understand me wrong - but a 26 char pass??? That is a bit paranoic.
Try this. RESET the router, anter a simple 5-8 char pass, then try to connect. If the phone won't connect, try without any pass. Hope some of this helps.

If not, feel free to add me thru Skype: miodrage, so we might try to resolve ur issues together.

Abbeylaw

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Miodrage ; The password is my sons doing yes he probably is a bit paranoic , I have re set the router again ! taken off security altogether still does not connect reset again put in an 8 digit password tried again still not connecting , every other wifi item in the house connects except the Lumia 920.
I think I will need to return to phone store , the only reason I changed to the Lumia was for the bigger screen that i could use around the house on WiFi rather than logging on to Computer . I am very disappointed with this phone , I changed up from the Iphone 4 never had issued connecting to WiFi Before , even the loan phone the phone shop supplied last week when the Lumia went in to be looked at worked perfectly on my WiFi

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Is your router and network setup to only allow new connections when the find me function on the router is started? Basically stops anyone connecting to the network unless a button on the router is pressed which then opens up access. I believe even if the button isn't pressed you can still find the network but it just won't connect. I suspect if you have a 26 character password this security feature will also be on.

Failing that, could be the network restricting access to known IP addresses.

Or you have a bum phone and it needs to go back and be swapped, but I'd check the network and router configuration first in all honesty.

Philip Burnett

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
its a windows 8 problem - mine HTC 8X works fine at home - but will not connect to the network at work .....
However every ones elses iphones on android are fine.

Microsoft dont seem to wont to explain the reason why -

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If it was working and suddenly isn't, and your son is a super security freak he likely has enabled MAC blocking on the access point.

Make sure your phone's MAC address is listed.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
for 6 weeks the first 4 weeks it connected no problem then the following week it would not connect, it finds the router and shows good signal strength but when the password is entered it searches but always comes back Incorrect password.

Just to add, I used to be able to connect to Virgin Media WiFi on the underground for the past year no problem. Then all of a sudden it just stopped and won't reconnect.
It scans and sees the network, but keeps saying "Connecting" and nothing happens. Very frustrating.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
its a windows 8 problem - mine HTC 8X works fine at home - but will not connect to the network at work .....
However every ones elses iphones on android are fine.

Microsoft dont seem to wont to explain the reason why -

I have Windows 8 and can connect fine. There's millions of Windows 8 machines and this is the first time I've heard of this.

Johnlivio Medeiros

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I nave the same problem when I use the 3G connection it's work fine, when I'm at home, my wifi is fine, but when get in the work, it's no work, I don't know what to do, I already reset the router and nothing, I have an iPad and I'm typing on this right now in my work. Someone have resolved this problem.???

Thx

amorenod

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Until yesterday I would not have believed there was a problem, but then my 3 weeks old 920 suddenly decided it could not connect to my home wifi, everything else worked fine. I've reset the router to default, same result, everything connects but the Lumia. In the end, I've solved it by setting the Lumia to default, not ideal, specially when greeted with the spinning gears screen for hours and I've had to google some tricks to revive the phone.

It's been 3 great weeks, but right now I'm reconsidering my relationship

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My WiFi connections was pretty iffy across all my Windows devices; Acer Iconia tablet, Lumia 620 and Lumia 710 until I changed the WiFi channel. Now every device can connect and access seems to be more reliable and much faster than beforehand. Though there are a still few times I had to restart the device or reboot my router but I cannot yet ascertain whether this is a network / router issue rather than a problem with the device.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It has happened to me once where it didn't connect and at the time battery was low with battery saver on. I don't think a simple restart of the phone worked, but when i charged it up and then turned it off & on again it did.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you all know, took my device to a care centre and after running a diagnostic test, was told I had 2 corrupt files in my software. Got the softeware reinstalled and all is now working fine.
I know a reinstall was a last resort, but couldn't take being offline where I use it most.

philiplumia920

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here Lumia 920, connects art work but not home. Bullion 7300G router.

Disabled security and it connected - not a satisfactory solution.

Got it to work by changing to 802.11g only, did not work by itself, so changed WEP Authentication to BOTH.

Phone now connects to the WIFI. Pretty disappointed in the Tech help in the previous posts "Restart Computer" - thanks Genius.

Phones obviously have a problem, I hope this solution helps others.

Magne Tordengren

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Thanks for the effort you show trying to solve this problem :)
I have no idea whatsoever what 802.11g is or how I can change it. Could you please explain? I use Netgear WNDR 4000.
Thank you! This problem is killling me...

rivierabrian

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If you set up a 2nd SSID on your network, which can be hidden, then use WEP Manual and use a 40/64 10 character key, the Phone will connect to this, and will not effect your other devices.

Worked for me on several networks so it should for you:smile:

Jonu Dslugo

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
hi, I am having the same problem. The previously used and detected wifi is no longer detected after a few weeks. My other non windows phones will detects the same wifi without any problems.
I send my lumia to the nokia center and they detect that something is wrong and they say that the phone board has a problem. So I waited for months for them to get the board shipped locally because they dont have it locally stocked. After they had changed the board it went ok and detects my wifi without any problems, but within a month it wouldnt detect my wifi again, obviously something is very wrong. I am already very pissed off with this. No more windows phone and Nokia for me.
Just to add, this even happen to many public wifi spot that I use, so dont suggest a router or hardware reset or editing the confuguration or something similar. The main problem is the windows phone.
I hope this post help, and stop many techies suggesting something that would make them look like idiots.
Anyway thanks for the thoughts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon