How to sync files from WP8 to PC via Wireless connection?

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I ave read that there was Zune, but since they killed it i wonder what else solutions are there. I know also that the desktop app works great, but sometimes i just dont have free usb ports on my pc, and i have slow upload speed so Skydrive and Dropbox are out of question so i really would enjoy a wifi connection to the pc just to make backups of the pictures and videos. Does anyone know how to get this working?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no wireless sync with windows phone 8 like there was with wp7... It was used with the Zune desktop app... That's been killed and hasn't been introduced to the Xbox music desktop stuff...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
[h=2]Using Bluetooth With Windows Phone[/h]Another method of sharing data between your Nokia Lumia 920 and another phone is to use Bluetooth.
muo-wp8-filesharing-bt-pair.png

To activate Bluetooth on your phone, open Settings > Bluetooth and switch to On. Windows Phone 8 will then look for any discoverable devices. If you wanted to connect to your Windows PC, for instance, you would open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Change Bluetooth settings to confirm that the computer is set as discoverable.
muo-wp8-filesharing-bt-passcode.png

Once found by your Nokia Lumia 920 series phone the computer name could then be tapped to begin the process of pairing (a process that requires you to confirm on both devices that the same security number is displayed).
Sharing a file is easy. Once the devices are paired, open Photos, find the image you want to share and tap it, open the menu and select share… > Bluetooth, taking care to tap the correct phone or device name. You can use the same process for sharing videos and music.
It is also possible to share Microsoft Office Mobile documents via Bluetooth. Open Office, tap and hold the document concerned and select share… > Bluetooth, again carefully selecting the device you wish to share the file with.
Note that you can only share files over Bluetooth if the computer (or phone or tablet running Android or iOS) has support for the Bluetooth Object Push Profile. With this profile you will be able to wirelessly sync via the Windows Phone sync software.
Other Bluetooth profiles are built into Windows Phone, but note that there is no HID profile – you cannot connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your phone.

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am working on an app that may provide you the solution. It won't let you sync files wirelessly, but you'll be able to download(transfer) songs(*.mp3) from your PC/laptop directly into the Music Library via wifi.
There is a server that has to run on the PC for the app for work. and the phone app work as a client.

If you're interested, just let me know. I'll pace up my development and hopefully release a beta soon.

Regards.

Last edited:

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
@nsbabra interessing, i ll check it out, keep us updated.

But to me personally its more important to backup pictures and videos on my pc.

I wonder what can be done here, i mean it the both devices (PC and Phone) use the same wifi connection under one router, there must be a solution like creating a local file server which can be accessed from the phone, like a ftp server?

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
@nsbabra interessing, i ll check it out, keep us updated.

But to me personally its more important to backup pictures and videos on my pc.

I wonder what can be done here, i mean it the both devices (PC and Phone) use the same wifi connection under one router, there must be a solution like creating a local file server which can be accessed from the phone, like a ftp server?
"BackUp as in Automated Backup is not possible due to restrictive nature of WP(until Microsoft launches something similar to Zune Sync). Sometimes I feel WP is far more restrictive than it should be. And for the app, Sure. :)

Edit : you can create a server and listen for requests in WP8 , but the problem is that there is no way to read Music/Videos from the phone library.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Using Bluetooth With Windows Phone

Another method of sharing data between your Nokia Lumia 920 and another phone is to use Bluetooth.
yes Bluetooth works, however it's a pain in the neck because you can only transfer one file at a time. Unless you are transferring just one file it's fine. Otherwise it is not a solution to the problem. Once you transferred that file you have to start the process from scratch. It's just easier to transfer files over skydrive or connecting the phone to the pc/laptop.

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Update: I ave found a solution to my issue, the free version of PC Remote can send files to the PC. The free version can sent a photo to the pc and then you have to navigate again Sent Files - Photos - select another photo. So this is a relative quick solution how to sent Photos via wireless to the PC. You need to ave the PC server installed and running on the PC which is a small application, the devices ave to be on the same Wifi network. However there is one downside to this, it seems to compress the photo you sent, for example when a Photo is 2,4 MB the transfered one on the PC is around 1,7 MB. I don t know why it does that and how it affects the picture quality to me it looks the same but i m not sure.

The point, it is possiable to create a pc server which can recive files via wireless connection from the phone.

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Update: I ave found a solution to my issue, the free version of PC Remote can send files to the PC. The free version can sent a photo to the pc and then you have to navigate again Sent Files - Photos - select another photo. So this is a relative quick solution how to sent Photos via wireless to the PC. You need to ave the PC server installed and running on the PC which is a small application, the devices ave to be on the same Wifi network. However there is one downside to this, it seems to compress the photo you sent, for example when a Photo is 2,4 MB the transfered one on the PC is around 1,7 MB. I don t know why it does that and how it affects the picture quality to me it looks the same but i m not sure.

The point, it is possible to create a pc server which can recive files via wireless connection from the phone.

as I previously mentioned , It is not possible to do automated backup.. However it is possible to "establish a client-server with PC-phone and transfer photos one by one. " It however has a major flaw. Limited to photos, as you cannot read other files (Music/Videos/Documents - Basically everything in Phone's Memory that you see when you connect it to PC via Cable).
I could look into it, but right now I'm preparing for my exams and also working to improve the app I mentioned here.

PS - Try it . Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)
It might serve your purpose.Just make sure to check the Photo Library option in Settings.

nsbabra

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
definitely interested. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Derausgewanderte,
Thanks for your interest. I'm readying it for a public release. However there is a problem with metadata for songs. Xbox Music does not get the metadata from the file, instead I've to provide it for every song I transfer. I've heard Amber fixes this issue and I'm waiting for it to test my app's compatibility . once it is done, I'll release a public beta as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Paragkharche007

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
There is a solution for your problem. An app named Pocket file manager can connect your PC with wp by wifi .
It uses ftp server. So you will require a ftp client software for pc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes