Lumia 920 microphone issues

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having microphone issues with this phone? The vast, vast majority of the calls I make, I'm using a bluetooth headset and that works fine, but when I try to make a call using the phone's mic, the other person cannot hear me. I have to repeat myself multiple times and sometimes they still don't understand what I'm saying. I don't see anything visible blocking the area where (I believe) the mic is. Anyone else have this issue or know of a solution for it?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the mic on top is not obstructed, that is used for noise cancelling. I've also noticed that you need to not hold the bottom of the phone away from your face or else the noise cancelling even cancels out your voice.

lafn

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My mic for speakerphone completely failed. Called AT&T. They overnighted me another one and I sent the old one back in the box. Very nice.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My son's has the same/similar issue. Works fine in speakerphone mode but not in regular mode. Just haven't called AT&T to replace it yet.

Scott

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, my phone is out of warranty so even though I have insurance on it, I'd still have to pay $120 to have it replaced. Grrr. I wish T-Mobile would have Windows Phone I'd want so I could just switch back to them. Oh well.

Johan P

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bataar. This is a late reply to you. I have the exact same problem as you.

My phone is still warranted, but because of a minor scratch in the front screen (see my link to flickr), they have lifted the warranty and wants me to pay 1700 danish kroner, a whooping $300+ dollars to make the microphone repair.

They have lifted the warranty because of the scratch, and they are afraid the front element cracks if they open the phone. The scratch and the open phone can be seen here https://www.flickr.com/photos/114590823@N02/14136947855/in/photostream/

I just got it back after they held it for 5 weeks (it got lost in a repair centre in Hungary). I have tried some, but not all of the solutions suggested, including blowing air into the top microphone to cancel the noise cancelling.

Why do they continue to build in a noise cancelling microphone, which enhances noise in the first place? Wow. The complexity of stupidity amaze me!!! Since other people have the issue, and nothing is done to change this, I take it that they don't care. We are sheep!

Paul Lazarov

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Same problem on my Lumia 920. From time to time the other person cannot hear me at all. I have restart my phone and then the problem disappears. It happens once in a while, like once/2 weeks or so...

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Same problem on my Lumia 920. From time to time the other person cannot hear me at all. I have restart my phone and then the problem disappears. It happens once in a while, like once/2 weeks or so...

Hi Paul,

I seem to have developed the same issue. I had a problem with a weekly reboot, usually at nights, so I carried out a factory reset.
Now, the occational rebooting seemes to be ok, but every now and then the microphone doesn't seem to work at all. After a normal reboot it is all ok again, exactly like yours.
I am going to try with Vodafone and see if they have an answer, as it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem as the reboot cures it...?

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I found a suggestion elsewhere (https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...blem-with-the-microphone?page=2&per_page=20):
"Lumia 800: so I found out the bluetooth setting gets stuck. I cannot tickle back the microphone but I have to reset the thing and then it works (until I use on bluetooth again). I wonder if a soft rest helps.
I also tried and occasionally with success: while in call, enable/disable bluetooth."
Will have to try next time, as I do use the Bluetooth daily on my Volvo.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Good news! The problem seems to have disappeared with the Cyan/8.1 update.

I also noticed on my holiday, that outside Germany the problem did not manifest itself. Good it have to do with the Vodafone net in Germany and the phones software not liking each other?

I have also had other problems like the phone rebooting itself every now and then, that have to do with the network. Vodafone admitted themselves that they have problems with LTE that cause the phone to crash when trying to change back and forth from 3G to 4G, when 4G is selected as the fastest allowed speed. This seems to have also disappeard with the update.

sro2955

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I didn't start having problems with my mics until I did the 8.1 update. seems to be something with when the os changes to different inputs/outputs. for example, if I start up my FM radio app - without headphones- then the mic doesn't work again (verified by trying the mic in Google search)

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Good news! The problem seems to have disappeared with the Cyan/8.1 update.

I also noticed on my holiday, that outside Germany the problem did not manifest itself. Good it have to do with the Vodafone net in Germany and the phones software not liking each other?

I have also had other problems like the phone rebooting itself every now and then, that have to do with the network. Vodafone admitted themselves that they have problems with LTE that cause the phone to crash when trying to change back and forth from 3G to 4G, when 4G is selected as the fastest allowed speed. This seems to have also disappeard with the update.

This is the epitome of wishful thinking. Software cannot compensate for bad placement of microphones!

My 920 also has this issue. I have to ensure that the microphone (conveniently placed at the bottom of the device and not the front!) is directed towards my mouth before people can hear me correctly.

It's a great thing the 930 corrects this design flaw with the microphone placement.

sro2955

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
it's not bad placement on my 920 - it worked fine until I upgraded to 8.1. It also doesn't work on Bluetooth in my truck, but it did before.

MikkoPaivarinta

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I think we are talking about two different things.
The problem was not that the people didn't hear me correctly, the microphone did not engage at all. When it worked (most of the time) I could sit in a car wash and talk, and the other party didn't even know I was in a car wash. My guess, it most likely was a software issue with voice cancellation or something.

craig potts

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I started having problems with the mic on my phone in either normal or speakerphone. Mic works just fine with Cortana so I know it is not physically bad. Phone works fine in Bluetooth in my car, or with external earbuds with mic ($5.00 at BigLots). Reboot didn't help the phone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett