Bricked Lumia 920. Blue screen and sad face.

JoshuaAbbott

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I went to update my Lumia 920 to 8.1 Preview, but a family member (the grandpa), decided to flip the light switch, thus turning off the outlet that my Phone was hooked up to. I left to get dinner, got back, and it was frowning at me. I was greeted, not with 8.1 like I thought, but a blue screen and white sad face. It's stuck in a loop where it turns on, says "Nokia", goes to the blue screen/sad face, then restarts... Tried hard reset, tried using Nokia Software Recovery Tool, and Nokia Care Suite. Any fixes??View attachment 66465

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Nokia recovery fixed my dev 920 when it was doing that, need a high output charger, charge it a couple hours, the NSR it may come back to life before you get to rerun it. One time mine came back one time I had to bring it back using the software. Blue screen on a phone saying insert disk is scary 😓

anon(7817172)

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Just use Nokia Care Suite.

On Nokia Care Suite > Product Support Tool for Store, just click on Programming > Refurbish. Follow the steps from there. That will completely wipe out your phone first (incl. WP8.1 corrupt OS) and then rewrite back WP8.

Download the right firmware for your phone first.

I can go detailed on the steps if you need it.

Last edited:

anon(7817172)

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Do I need to get it to the screen with the lightning bolt and gear when I hit refurbish?

Nope. Once you click on Refurbish (not having the phone connected to your computer yet), the software will verify the downloaded firmware. After that it will say that it lost connection to your phone (even though its not connected - its normal). You just soft reset your phone (power button + volume down) and once it vibrates connect it to the computer and click next on NCS. You won't get to that lightning bolt gear and all of that. After the Nokia splash screen, the green/red/blue flashing screen will show up next.

JoshuaAbbott

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't get Recovery Tool to work, it fails just after validating the said downloaded software is compatible with my phone, and right when it starts installing it quits and the phone restarts. I get error code 0x80131500. I have no idea what that error is for and

JoshuaAbbott

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Once you click on Refurbish (not having the phone connected to your computer yet), the software will verify the downloaded firmware. After that it will say that it lost connection to your phone (even though its not connected - its normal). You just soft reset your phone (power button + volume down) and once it vibrates connect it to the computer and click next on NCS. You won't get to that lightning bolt gear and all of that. After the Nokia splash screen, the green/red/blue flashing screen will show up next.

Could you help me find where to get the firmware/software and how to load it into the program?

anon(7817172)

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Could you help me find where to get the firmware/software and how to load it into the program?

I download mine from Navifirm+ (http://www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx) as you cannot do that anymore on NCS anymore. Download that software. Then, just select your phone RM-number and firmware number and download them. Be sure to tick everything/download all files. It will take some while, and once it finishes. Move the downloaded files to "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\RM-XXX" (rename XXX to your phone's RM number). You cannot access the ProgramData folder without typing it, so please type it.

With that, the firmware will be recognised when you click on Refurbish.

But first, can you let your phone charge for at least 10-20 minutes? You said that your grandpa flipped the switch off so it didn't charge right? Just give it some juice at least. I know the phone will turn on and show that failed splash screen, but that's fine just get some 10min charge on it (besides, once the phone plugs in while flashing, its kinda charging in a way as well)

Hope I helped ;)

Last edited:

Sorhezjush

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
My Nokia recovery tool works only till it finishes downloading soft, and then do nothing. Anyone knows how to make this actually install downloaded soft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes