Lumia 930 overheating!

Mihai Surugiu

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there. I've had my Lumia 930 from November. Had problem with it heating fast. I think I've got a fix to this issue. While trying to install Windows 10 developer preview I had to reflash the phone. Now after doing it, it still gets worm but a lot less, and I mean by a lot less. Probably it was the firmware it can with. Also some time I think it was Facebook. Hope this helps you.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello to everyone!

I just got 930 this Monday from an online store (Greece).

**intro which you can skip starts**
I got a Lumia 640 for 100 Euros after renewing my contract with Cosmote, probably the top carrier here and I was extremely impressed with the Windows Phone experience and overall snappines. Offcourse my initial choice was the 930 (I am a semi-pro photographer & videographer), but I would lose the contract bonus, so I went for that. My wife had a 6 year-old Samsung "dumb" phone and fell in love with the 640, so I just gave it to her and decided to buy the 930 for 296 Euros from a local online store. A bargain if you ask me.
**intro which you can skip ends**

Now, the phone came in excellent order and packaging and I let it update all the apps I had installed on the 640 (it detected it from my account).
Ofcourse after a few minutes it started becoming warm.
Then really warm.
Then a bit hot-never "unbearable" but HOT.
Also I noticed the battery dropping fast to 0. Faster than an Android half-baked ROM that is.

After my initial frustration and dissapointment, I read this thread and took the following actions (which are mentioned in other forums/blogs too):

• Reverted the phone to factory settings.
  • Reinstalled all the official apps only.
  • Enabled battery saving mode.
  • Disabled gps, nfc and other services from automatically running.
  • Set screen to auto brightness.
  • and (very important) DISABLED all the background tasks that were running

The phone became uber cool-except for the case when I had an hour long Skype session with a friend and at the same point the phone was updating some apps.The battery went down to 50%-BUT that is to be excepted when you are using Skype for such a long period.
After I closed Skype however the phone cooled down again. :grin: That night I charged the phone fully.

Yesterday and after a normal everyday use (a few calls, a few photos texting etc.) the phone battery dropped down to 90%-at 21:00 :wink:
When I got home from work I listened to youtube for quite a long time, read on the internet etc till Midnight. Battery level dropped to 40%-but I used the phone continuously for 3 hours.
During that time it became slightly warm, but nowhere near to hot.

Right now battery is at 36% and I am sure it will drop to10-something this evening.
That is 48 hours without a single charge.

I must stress however that I am mostly using my phone as a tablet/media player with the occasional app testing/gaming and not as a GPS navigator.
So for people that need some background tasks running I would recommend to just keep open what you really need.

I hope that on Windows 10, everything will be fixed! :smile::smile:

Having to eliminate the advertised features of the phone and restrict my apps is a bridge too far for me. I just got my 930 too, a week ago, and I'm extremely disappointed with this issue so far. Nonetheless, your post was very useful! Here's why...

I do turn off background apps as a matter of course, but since my problems remain I am unconvinced that this is necessarily a big issue. With all apps shut down and the phone in standby on my desk, the heat is still too high. I think it's something in the core OS that causes the problem. Taking your advice, I checked out NFC first, since I never use that. Both switches were on, so I switched them off. The phone instantly began to cool. It remained warm, but significantly less so. I left it for a while before trying to change anything else.

Location services: I'm less sure about this one. It's very hard to tell if there was any shift between temperatures here, since I'm using the famously unreliable human brain and not a thermometer. It feels like it cooled further, but that could be the heat-sensing version of "Seems faster!" ;) I think I'll have to leave this for a day with both services off, and then try flipping Location back on to see if there's a detectable increase in temps.

Thank you very much for your post. That really helped. I'll let Microsoft know about the NFC issue too. I think you should use 3rd-party apps again to see what happens. Some are famously problematic, such as BBC's infamous iPlayer TV & Radio apps which drain battery like crazy, but I have those and many others installed right now and I got my cooler temperature benefits regardless. Any impact they may have will only happen when they're running (ensure they're not running under the Background analysis in the Battery settings, of course). Right now, in terms of battery use at least, Project Spartan is by far the worst offender.

madura31

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey friends.. Overall 830 work perfect. No overheating issue. Why Lumia 930...???? It's a flagship phon of Microsoft... Why why why Microsoft don't tell anything about this issue...?????????? :(

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey friends.. Overall 830 work perfect. No overheating issue. Why Lumia 930...???? It's a flagship phon of Microsoft... Why why why Microsoft don't tell anything about this issue...?????????? :(

It's something about the way it handles NFC, which few users are going to need. Switch off NFC, and the issue is minimal. It's a more powerful machine than the 830, so it's bound to have some greater heat problems, but since the 830 has NFC too I'm not sure why the difference is so great.

Perhaps MS don't want to draw attention to it, but I agree with you, that's a huge mistake. They should have addressed it publicly and explained the NFC issue. I wonder how many people adopted and then abandoned WP after buying the 930 and being disappointed? I persevered because I like this OS and wanted to find a way to make it work, but if this was my first WP then I would probably have returned it to the shop and got an Android instead.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, this is remarkable. Not only is my phone cooler, it's actually cold. You pick it up, and it feels like an object made of metal and glass. Turning on Location again, will update this post later to say what happened...

[edit] Yeah, Location doesn't hurt the heat situation at all. It's entirely an NFC problem. Turn it off, switch it on only if and when you need it (and how often do you tap to share data, or to purchase? Me - never).

Last edited:

andyhkg123

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
guys im living in Hong Kong
i bought a gold black version yesterday and i found out the overheating problems are worldwide , which are all the same in China , Hong Kong , TW and here. its probably bacause of its cpu Snapdragon 800 , also used on some phones with overheating problems eg samsung galaxy s4 , having poor capability on heat removing . It's extremely noticeable when we are holding 930 with right hand as it's placed exactly on bottom right.

and I , other than disabling the background apps , I changed my broswer to prevent overheating ( it gets warm but not very hot for me) I dont really use IE .currently I;m using another browser called Surfy. Personally , i think it has more functions and dont take as much resources as IE . And the last important thing is you have to close your browser and camera everytime you lock your screen.

Last edited:

JPHellemons

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
My 930 has also overheating issues. I also got the green spot. According to arvato (the company that handles the repairs in the netherlands and germany etc.) it had to do with "a 3rd party mechanical cause to the screen" so it is no warranty issue.

a new screen will cost over 200 euro, a new 930 is less then 350 euro

according to this dutch forum it is a software issue which causes the green spot on the screen:

forum.vodafone.nl/t5/Overige-Toestelfabrikanten/Groene-vlek-op-scherm-lumia-930/td-p/215243

Conrad Shull

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Nokia 1320, 10166. Did not ever overheat previous to first 10 update. Phone has circuitry to shutdown and restart at certain temp. Disabled app auto-update, turn off bluetooth when not actively used, etc. Still has overheating problem enough I constantly feel the back of the phone like a worried mother touching the forehead of her sick wee one. I certainly hope this issue is fixed. I can't imagine the lower end phones handling this issue at all.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You see how strange this phenomena is, I have a Note 3 that never ever gets hot while my 930 does, especially when I play solitaire...

Via Tapatalk de mon splendide Lumia 930

I had two note 3's, one for cooked roms and one everyday one. They got really warm when browsing etc. One of them got so warm whilst installing a rom, you couldn't touch it! It wasn't a one off either.

My 930 does get 'toasty' when browsing or on youtube, but in day to day use, it's fine.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ive owned a NOTE 3, Nexus 5, Xperia Z1 and Z1 compact and the Nokia 930, they all heat up about the same, its the Snapdragon 800 beast of a processor inside, I would say the Xperias were the worst offenders, I ve also owned many a Snapdragon 801 phone and they still heat up, its QUAD CORE in a tiny space, on android if you root your phone you can turn off two of the cores, to basically make it a dual core device and the overheating is a lot less, most of these components are life tested for much higher temperatures so its generally not a major problem.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Since I re-flashed my phone with the Windows Phone Recovery Tool with the latest version of the firmware my phone seems to be a lot cooler.

Regards

Infinidim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon