Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the latest Insider build on my Lumia 930, and I noticed that the microphones stopped working. Not sure if it happened after the upgrade from 8.1 to W10 build 10581

In Nokia Care Suite I cannot test all four microphones, only mic #01 is available to test, and it seems to work
The rest are greyed out. Any ideas why?

mics.JPG

derdiedasAndy

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello everybody. I got the same issue. I tried win 10 mobile the last version and everything works fine for me, i thought. But when i tried to send a voice message in whatsapp, you can hardly understand what i?m saying. The same for videos. So i go back to WP 8.1 Denim and the video works fine but other recording apps like Onenote Skype etc dosen?t work at all.

Because of my warrenty i send it to a repair Center here in germany and hope that they will find the problem. I also shared these forum link for there Information about the problem.

I will talk back if i got my phone back.

PS Sorry for my bad english. I?m still learning :eek:rly:

PsyOr

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
The major problem is with the upper microphone (speaker), you must talk at loud close to this microphone to get heard.
When you record videos in vertical position the phone use the upper (bad) microphone so you can't hear nothing, there is a sound only when you scream near this microphone but still very very low, you could barely hear.
I've found that the stock Camera app that comes with the device (not the lumia cameras) works better with sound on videos on vertical, even though its still low.
It is a hardware issue - this microphone made sucks, its too damn low, but also a software issue, as at some applications you can hear better.
Also try to use Speaker mode during calls, the other side barely hear you if you won't speak close to this shi-tty microphone.
Microsoft / Nokia forgot its firstly a damn phone, to speak with people, then a camera/camcorder, these both have a major fail because of this issue of the suck upper microphone. Also they not gonna fix this or other issues (blinking/flickering).
This is the last WP.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
If they wont/cant fix it, we get our money back, simple warranty terms.

I also expect more from a proper microsoft surface phone, 930 was still made by nokia and its not really up to other microsoft hardware standards, like the surface tables and book.

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I've had my Nokia 930 for about 2 months now and started experiencing the same issues. I was going to follow everyone's advice and give it back to my service provider for repairs, but wanted to Flash my phone back to 8.1 first before I do that.

After flasing my phone back to Windows 8.1, the microphones started working again!

(Yes, I did remove my arrogant statement... felt really bad about it)

This is my 2cents for how I fixed mine. Hopefully this will work for someone else as well. Just get the Microsoft Recovery Tool for Lumia and Flash it back to 8.1

EDIT:

This will teach me to rather first do some proper testing before posting here in the near future. This did NOT fix the problem :(. The Video Audio Recording started working, however, none of my apps are still receiving anything from the microphones.

I will indeed be returning the phone tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
But what about those, like me, who are still in 8.1 and have this problem??

Have you flashed back to a pre denim OS??

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Weird. Downloaded the recovery tool and plugged 930 in - it says there is a software download available for it!

So currently downloading a 1.69gig file to my phone. I thought my mobile was up to date, deffo have Denim on it and checked for any updates this week when i forced a back up.

Any ideas??

EDIT: It failed anyway. Will try again at home tonight.

Last edited:

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I downgraded to Denim and it did not fix my problem.

I have cyan firmware waiting to get tested, but will not do it until WP10 comes out as new version, then I will first try Cyan and then WP10.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So first of all, to all the whiny people here saying that "It's a hardware problem", stop talking nonsense - it's definitely a software problem.
... Just get the Microsoft Recovery Tool for Lumia and Flash it back to 8.1
Glad that worked for you, but if you've read through this and other related threads you'll see that lots of us have used the recovery tool and it didn't fix the problem.

TV87

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem like many on this tread. I didn’t use the insider preview, my 930 mic just stopped working on 8.1. It seem like a hardware issue, because the only thing that worked for me was to change the mainboard in a care center.

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Just an update on my previous post - I did edit the original though.

Re-Flashing it back to 8.1 did NOT resolve my problem - it only fixed the audio recording for videos... my apps are still not functional with the microphones...

Again, I apologize for the arrogance... I'm just so frustrated with this phone! Thinking of going back to my iPhone if my Service Provider cannot fix this phone.

EDIT 1:
Alright, I've given my phone to my service provider for repairs. Hopefully they end up just giving me a new phone!

Last edited:

Rob Palmer1

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 930 for just over a year so it's now out of warranty. I don't feel that it's a HW problem though, as I can use the mics fine over the Skype Test call and on videos. It's only when I'm recording on OneNote or any voice recording app that the mics start to fail. There is more sound collected from the top mics but there is a lot of interference that lowers the volume considerably. With these different performances under different apps it suggests that it's more of a SW/FW issue. I might take this problem to Twitter as they have always been fairly quick to respond.

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 930 for just over a year so it's now out of warranty. I don't feel that it's a HW problem though, as I can use the mics fine over the Skype Test call and on videos. It's only when I'm recording on OneNote or any voice recording app that the mics start to fail. There is more sound collected from the top mics but there is a lot of interference that lowers the volume considerably. With these different performances under different apps it suggests that it's more of a SW/FW issue. I might take this problem to Twitter as they have always been fairly quick to respond.

At first I also thought it was a software issue. When I had WP 10 installed, NOTHING worked except phone calls. When I flashed it back to 8.1, my videos started to record sound again, so I thought initially this is a software issue. However, given the amount of struggle I've been going through with this phone, I would rather lay on my Service Provider's back and let them take this pressure - even if it's a software or hardware failure, it's still a FAILURE!

GEO147

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Guys I upgraded to Windows 10 via Insider and then noticed no sound in video recordings. So I reverted back via Windows Device Recovery tool to Denim and my mics are working again. So this has to be a software problem.

Also WTF Microsoft, if you are going to do away with Lumia Camera then at least put the basic functionality into the new Camera app.

EDIT
Still doesn't work on speaker phone. Must be that Windows Camera you can get some sound via some mic that Windows Camera doesn't use.

Last edited:

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
My advice, take it back to the store. Don't procrastinate about it - JUST DO IT. Microsoft will not fix this issue! (Although I still believe it's a software issue)

Still waiting for mine to come back from the store...

jpauls

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 where, several days after the last (not the most current) w10m build was sent out, the mic stopped working during calls.

It works on speakerphone. Cortana does not work.

My phone isn't through a carrier, and as a Canadian Microsoft treats us like crap (apparently Cortana in English requires we pretend to be American, for instance, and we have zero carriers picking up the Lumia 950/950XL line).

Ugh. I'm starting to think I should go Android.

GEO147

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Went back to W10 and the secondary mic doesn't work at all again. ?? I think personally it is a hardware and software issue. That W8 and W10 utilise the mics differently. Speaker phone works with neither but I get some audio in video recordings on W8, none in anything in W10.

McBeukie

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Can Nokia or Microsoft give an answer . Is it hardware or software related with the 930. I think i will try to set the phone back to 8.1 .hope it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon