Thinking about buying the Lumia 930

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable input!

I will wait to see what/if MS announces anything regarding a flagship device at Build tomorrow/this week.

If there is nothing announced, I will decide to go with the L930.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Microsoft is not likely to announce any new hardware at Build tomorrow. It has already been said that new devices will come when Windows 10 for phone has been released, and they are slated to make announcements during IFA 2015 (that would be in September). What we would see tomorrow would most likely be more Windows 10 (Desktop and Phone) together with new features.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
How will speed be an issue if they both share the same amount of ram and the same processor along with the same OS ? This makes no sense.
If anything, the 1520 would lag as it has a bigger screen with more pixels for the processor and graphic chip to push.

Lol you did read the part where I said that it wasn't my conclusion, but is based on user reviews around the forum. Idd they have the same specs and should have the same speed, but that doesn't always have to be the case. User input is still valuable

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Lol you did read the part where I said that it wasn't my conclusion, but is based on user reviews around the forum. Idd they have the same specs and should have the same speed, but that doesn't always have to be the case. User input is still valuable

You said that you've seen people go from the 1520 to the 930. That's all you said
Then you said as if it was a fact, (not based on other people reviews mind you) as if they were your own conclusion, that speed WILL be an issue. There was no disclaimer there.
But regardless though, the 930,is an amazing phone. I should know, I'm using one now ;-)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've seen a few users around the forums, that did just this. If you're going from the 1520 to the 930 then battery life will be an issue. Screen size and speed will also be an issue..

All I can say is, it will just take some time to get used to these issues and after that they won't even be issues lol

I started by saying that I've seen users around the forums jump from one to the other. The fact that I started with that statement seemed (for myself) enough of an indication that whatever comes after that would be what I saw from them..

The issues with speed and battery life are not drastic (you won't wait for 30 seconds, but 3-5 seconds). Some make a big deal about those few seconds.

Again, after saying that speed and battery life might be an issue, I made sure to add that some users make a big fuss about it, so again, it wasn't based on my own judgement (and I also wanted to note that I mostly disagreed with the notion that people wanted to compare them so much)

Edit: All in all, I know that many 1520 users would tell anyone that was wondering if they should ditch the device, even though it's running without any problems, that they would be insane to do so. The only reason to leave the 1520 behind at this point is simply, the size..

Keep in mind that I also pointed out that the 930 is a great device, because I have personally played around with it for a few days

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
You said that you've seen people go from the 1520 to the 930. That's all you said
Then you said as if it was a fact, (not based on other people reviews mind you) as if they were your own conclusion, that speed WILL be an issue. There was no disclaimer there.
But regardless though, the 930,is an amazing phone. I should know, I'm using one now ;-)

Do u encourage me to switch from 1520 to 930 ??

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank all for your input.

I am been doing some reading about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 801 and 805. It seems to me that there is little difference between the 800 and 801, but a small jump between it and the 805 and an even greater jump compared to the 810.

My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so. How fast does the Lumia 930 feel in use? Can I expect it to run the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade well? I love the design of the phone but I am slightly concerned about the processor and how well it will age.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so

we share the same problem... As for how well it will handle w10.. Wait a few weeks. The new insider update will support 930's and I'm sure a few users will install it immediately lol

Feedback is coming :winktongue:

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think at this point as one who owns the 930 that waiting for another flagship from Microsoft is the way to go. Get a Lumia 640 or something to tide you over and save the extra money for the flagship when it comes out. Would be a much wiser decision honestly.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I can get a new Lumia 930 for ?240. That is just a little more expensive than a L640 or 830.

Considering that the new MS flagship will likely cost ?400+, would this be a good deal? I expect it will be able to run Windows 10 reasonable well.

iRS73

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank all for your input.

I am been doing some reading about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, 801 and 805. It seems to me that there is little difference between the 800 and 801, but a small jump between it and the 805 and an even greater jump compared to the 810.

My problem is that if I buy the Lumia 930, I will be stuck with a 2013 series CPU and GPU for the next 2 years or so. How fast does the Lumia 930 feel in use? Can I expect it to run the upcoming Windows 10 upgrade well? I love the design of the phone but I am slightly concerned about the processor and how well it will age.

I agree with your concerns in regard to it's longevity. I have a 930 and the thing flies and has no issues. That being said though, there is no telling how it will perform with WP10 moving forward, at least until the Insider Update.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
My Lumia 930 arrived a few days ago.

I am absolutely delighted with it. Aside from the minor issue of the text blurring when you scroll, it is perfect. Really fast, great design and the battery is long enough to last the whole day.

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice. It is really appreciated. :)

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I have been using my new 930 for around two weeks too. I guess I have to adapt to the text trail when scrolling because AMOLED screens are like that.

I do have heat issues too, but I can't return this device 'cause this is the last gold black 930 they have. Sometimes I turn off my mobile connection and let it cool down.

I have a question though. Will using the white background burn the screen faster than dark background?

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I have been using my new 930 for around two weeks too. I guess I have to adapt to the text trail when scrolling because AMOLED screens are like that.

I do have heat issues too, but I can't return this device 'cause this is the last gold black 930 they have. Sometimes I turn off my mobile connection and let it cool down.

I have a question though. Will using the white background burn the screen faster than dark background?

Hmm you should probably send it back for repairs since there is no replacement. I sent my 920 for repairs (motherboard replacent) and after that it seems to be under control. I too would like to know if white burns the screen faster than black, i can however tell you that heat will cause the screen to burn, eventually, especially if the phone is hot (where it actually hurts to touch it).

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Is 32gb sufficient? I am too thinking of buying one but I have no idea of how big the photos would be.
Is the heat problem widespread?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Is 32gb sufficient? I am too thinking of buying one but I have no idea of how big the photos would be.
Is the heat problem widespread?

it depends on your usage. If you take a lot of pictures (like a very great deal of them) and don't transfer them to Onedrive or your pc here and there your memory will eventually be full. Anyway, 32 gb is indeed enough for most users.

heat is not a problem since Denim update for me. My phone only gets very slightly warm sometimes.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
32 GB should be enough indeed, I think. I still have around 19 GB free after installing everything and that should be enough with OneDrive around.
Mine does get hot (I do not think too hot) but only with certain games and I myself do not play often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon