ICON Roll Call

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just received my Icon today and I am very pleased with it in the short time I have used it. I have been an android user for the past 6 years and felt that I wanted to go in a new direction and the windows phone operating system seemed like a logical choice since I have no interest in Apple. The windows phone kind of completes my Windows ecosystem of a 8.1 PC, 8.1 laptop, Xbox One, Surface RT along with a Surface Pro 3 purchased in the near future.

I did some research about the Icon before deciding to get it, the info and experience of users on this forum was very helpful in making my decision :smile:

Jeff Spradling

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Just received my Icon today and I am very pleased with it in the short time I have used it. I have been an android user for the past 6 years and felt that I wanted to go in a new direction and the windows phone operating system seemed like a logical choice since I have no interest in Apple. The windows phone kind of completes my Windows ecosystem of a 8.1 PC, 8.1 laptop, Xbox One, Surface RT along with a Surface Pro 3 purchased in the near future.

I did some research about the Icon before deciding to get it, the info and experience of users on this forum was very helpful in making my decision :smile:

I've been using android phones for about 4 years. I'm getting a little bored with it. I also have no interest in apple. I saw the Icon on Verizon's site for 49.95 and read up on it a little and it sounded interesting. I've been using it for 3 days now, I don't plan on getting rid of my androids but I like this thing so far.

ThatLeoneGuy

May 1, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is my first smartphone, which I got three weeks ago. I initially got the 928 and I really did like the 928. It seemed to fit my needs but a few days later, the gel case I bought turned brown from the charging plate and found out that the 928 battery overheated and discolored the case. So I returned the 928 and got the Icon. I like the fact that it is future proof with the 2GB of RAM and the faster processor...and I have no complaints with the Icon at all.

But somewhere in my heart, there is something, dare I say, lovable about the 928. And this is coming from a guy who has been with Apple since 1988. Microsoft finally came out with a OS that I feel is adult and elegant...and I made the switch this past year to all Windows products. It's funny....Windows is kind like what Apple was in the 1980s...the underdog with the cool system. That must be why I switched!! :smile:

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My HTC 8X died, and although it was full cost to get the Icon, glad I did. Second day with it, and already outperforming the 8X. Work has the 1520, and loved the three row look, really opens options. Was glad the salesperson didn't talk me into the Samsung ATIV SE, reading through here and other places, made the right choice.

Even wife likes this better than the 8X, and with her iPhone addoration, thats saying alot!

Now, any 'must have' apps for the Icon? Oh, and that Nokia app 'Gift Voucher', get it! 25 bucks added to microsoft account. And not exclusive to apps like they say! Can purchase off Xbox!

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little late, but I picked up my Icon about 3 weeks ago. Came from a BlackBerry Z10 that I absolutely loved (minus the battery life), but I've been curious to try WP for sometime. The Icon finally caught my attention enough to make me switch and I'm really liking it so far, especially after updating to 8.1! Really awesome phone!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Received my Icon 7 days ago. Came from a Trophy. I was expecting an upgrade. I was NOT expecting this kind of awesomeness. Wow, just ... wow. Only disappointment is apoelin pulled Metrotalk from the WP store a few weeks too soon for me. :cry:

And this phone has gotten sooooooooooooo much attention in just these 7 days. Everyone keeps asking what it is. Is this what it feels like to have a Trophy wife?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Received my Icon 7 days ago. Came from a Trophy. I was expecting an upgrade. I was NOT expecting this kind of awesomeness. Wow, just ... wow. Only disappointment is apoelin pulled Metrotalk from the WP store a few weeks too soon for me. :cry:

And this phone has gotten sooooooooooooo much attention in just these 7 days. Everyone keeps asking what it is. Is this what it feels like to have a Trophy wife?

Congrats, mate! I too made the jump from the Trophy to the Icon. What a huge improvement in every way.

I get questions from people on my phone as well. I don't get the haters that say the Icon is boring. I think it's gorgeous and professional.

berryaddictnoza

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little late, but I picked up my Icon about 3 weeks ago. Came from a BlackBerry Z10 that I absolutely loved (minus the battery life), but I've been curious to try WP for sometime. The Icon finally caught my attention enough to make me switch and I'm really liking it so far, especially after updating to 8.1! Really awesome phone!

So I'm a BlackBerry user, and I'm fed up with the double typing issue on the Q10, likely be jumping ship to the Icon. What's your take on the typing experience compared with the Z10? How does the battery life compare?
I spent a lot of time on the Z10, and love it's virtual keyboard and tried out an Icon just last Saturday and it's keyboard seems to work well for me.

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As for the battery life, no comparison....much better in the Icon! It feels good not having to carry a spare battery pack or charging cord with me, lol. As for the keyboard, I'm getting used to the keyboard on WP, but nothing beats the virtual keyboard on BB10 in my opinion. But the keyboard works well on the Icon and with 8.1, it now includes an option to swipe...

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine today on the edge from the 928. After all the updates finally got to where my 928 was. On the 928 I reset my phone after 8.1 to help with some probe and after restoring it back I was able to have my same start screen before I reset. I'm not sure I can do that with this coming from a 928. Although I may reset this and see if it comes up. Just trying to minimize my work as for getting the start screen how I had it before.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You will need to rearrange the start screen. I suggest taking screenshots of your start screen and backing those up.

Cheers!

That was what you had to do before the last update. But after that, if you backed everything up, and had reset that the start screen would be the same once you logged on you ms acct.

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a refurbished Icon (white) off eBay a few weeks ago. Want to keep my unlimited data. Phone looked good as new, not a single scratch or blemish. Installed latest Verizon update and then WP 8.1 Dev Preview. No issues, it works great (knock on wood). Screen is gorgeous, build quality is excellent...the unit just feels solid and looks great. No complaints about battery life. Happy with the upgrade over my 928...with two caveats.

First, the low light camera and video performance is a downgrade, Lumia Cyan update is supposed to address this, but I don't know how they can do this given the physics of the 928's f/2.0 aperture and Icon's f/2.4. I rarely use the Xenon flash on the 928, but comparing the two phones with the high speed rotating ceiling fan test, the 928 stopped the blades, the blades were blurry with the Icon.

Second, the wifi and LTE reception is worse than the 928. It's not unbearable, but very noticeable. Perhaps the official Verizon update will address this.

I won't be returning the phone (30 day return policy with 20% return fee). I do look forward to the enhancements that will be part of the update.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a refurbished Icon (white) off eBay a few weeks ago. Want to keep my unlimited data. Phone looked good as new, not a single scratch or blemish. Installed latest Verizon update and then WP 8.1 Dev Preview. No issues, it works great (knock on wood). Screen is gorgeous, build quality is excellent...the unit just feels solid and looks great. No complaints about battery life. Happy with the upgrade over my 928...with two caveats.

First, the low light camera and video performance is a downgrade, Lumia Cyan update is supposed to address this, but I don't know how they can do this given the physics of the 928's f/2.0 aperture and Icon's f/2.4. I rarely use the Xenon flash on the 928, but comparing the two phones with the high speed rotating ceiling fan test, the 928 stopped the blades, the blades were blurry with the Icon.

Second, the wifi and LTE reception is worse than the 928. It's not unbearable, but very noticeable. Perhaps the official Verizon update will address this.

I won't be returning the phone (30 day return policy with 20% return fee). I do look forward to the enhancements that will be part of the update.
When was the cyan update?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That was what you had to do before the last update. But after that, if you backed everything up, and had reset that the start screen would be the same once you logged on you ms acct.

Weird, when I did it, my apps appeared on my start screen, but they weren't organized like previous. They were all just medium tiles in a row. They may have just changed.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Cyan not out yet. Likely by end of July for most WP8 users, which might mean by November for Verizon users.

Ok, I had on planned waiting for the 930 but wasn't sure what carrier that it was going to once it got to the states. I just couldn't wait that long, hahaha. But I seen there was a cyan update but was that for all for Lumia devices or certain ones?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I had on planned waiting for the 930 but wasn't sure what carrier that it was going to once it got to the states. I just couldn't wait that long, hahaha. But I seen there was a cyan update but was that for all for Lumia devices or certain ones?

Cyan will be for all Lumia devices. But it hasn't been released yet on any device. The Nokia Lumia 630 comes with it because it's direct from the manufacturer. The 930 will come with it because it will be direct from the manufacturer. But all other Lumia's won't get cyan until it's officially rolled out with WP8.1 sometime this summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers