ICON Roll Call

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
So close to jumping on the edge program yesterday to change from the 928. But after looking at it yesterday and playing with it, the dumb grey lines are dumb, thought they would light up or something and the buttons are too far out and sharp. That was really it. Looking to land work right now though and I may switch after that time.
Just me, but I never notice the grey bar/lines on either end. When I do see them its pretty meh. The virtual buttons I actually prefer to be further apart. So it comes down to personal preference. It certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker at all. I'm sure you'd adjust. Regarding buttons, the hard buttons(vol,power,cam) have really good feel and feedback imo. Very pleased with how everything is put together.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just me, but I never notice the grey bar/lines on either end. When I do see them its pretty meh. The virtual buttons I actually prefer to be further apart. So it comes down to personal preference. It certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker at all. I'm sure you'd adjust. Regarding buttons, the hard buttons(vol,power,cam) have really good feel and feedback imo. Very pleased with how everything is put together.
if I run my thumb up the side in my 928 its smoother to me then running it into a wall to lock the screen or what have you. I like the matte finish but are the sides grey as well to match those lines at the top and bottom?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
if I run my thumb up the side in my 928 its smoother to me then running it into a wall to lock the screen or what have you. I like the matte finish but are the sides grey as well to match those lines at the top and bottom?
If your referring to the side buttons as the wall then yeah you'll feel them, but I think that is good as I can tell which button I'm on and easily find it. Plus the feedback is good. The sides are black on my black icon and smooth. Sounds like you need to check it out in person.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's just me, didn't like the feel of them compared to my 928's buttons. The grey lines next to the headphone jack and charger makes no sense to have them there.

Those gray lines are for the antenna, look at 90% of phone with metal sides they all have them somewhere, 925, Iphone, HTC One, etc they all have them. The Xperia Z1 & 2 don't.

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hows the battery?

I'm coming from an HTC Trophy here. ANYTHING is an improvement! :p

In all seriousness though, I'm not a heavy smartphone user (No games or video, moderate music playback) so I'm probably not the person to ask. It more than meets my needs... I haven't yet gotten it below 35% before it hits the wireless charging pad in the evening.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an HTC Trophy here. ANYTHING is an improvement! :p

In all seriousness though, I'm not a heavy smartphone user (No games or video, moderate music playback) so I'm probably not the person to ask. It more than meets my needs... I haven't yet gotten it below 35% before it hits the wireless charging pad in the evening.

My battery life seems to have actually gotten better over time, as well. So it'll get even better than that.

j8298c

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Had mines for about two weeks and must say I love it came from an iPhone 5s still figuring the camera out but love it still

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
GOT IT! Went the Early Edge route. Received a white Icon had it for a day but had to take it to a Verizon Store to swap it out with a new one because the power button was basically broken. I have the Black one now. Its NICE, (in a buttoned down tuxedo kind of way) and fully functional. Quick early thoughts:

The screen is STUNNING. As good or better than ANY phone on the market now. Colors are rich and vibrant and the 441 pixels per inch really shine as details are very sharp.
The phone is snappy and much more responsive. Everything opens without a hitch and runs smoothly. The camera could be a smidgeon faster when it comes to snapping a photo but with the quality of the images I can deal with it.
The phone feels GOOD in the hand. The corners are not too sharp as some have put it. It feels solid and sturdy. The materials are top notch.
The speaker is adequate. The sound volume and quality isn't horrible but it isn't very dynamic. It is what it is.

I have to test the phone in more than a few more areas but overall I'm happy. I love WP8 as an OS and its only getting better. The aesthetic of the phone and OS are very much in tune with my tastes and the apps that are available are good ones with more coming. Again, I think the app situation is a little overblown as I can do just about everything I needed to do with the Icon as I did with my Moto X.
Glad to be back in the fold and looking forward to a continuing enjoyable experience with the Icon!

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought the buttons were a little sharp cut but I checked the other icon and they were smooth. So it's just how some of the phones will be but I liked it. I may wait till the next phone if Verizon has one past the icon.

Sent from my Mighty Redhand.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up my white Icon this afternoon with the free wireless charger from the Microsoft Store! Such an amazing phone. Can't wait for WP8.1.

Hopefully Verizon doesn't release an even better phone any time soon! It would kill me if the Pureview with the Icon specs came out soon as the idea of the 41MP camera sounds so amazing (the 1020 was pretty cool but lower resolution, slower processor, etc. kept me away)

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what I may wait for as long as its not too big. I wanna do the edge program but not if there's word on another Lumia device coming around the corner.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I sucked it up and got a white Icon too. I doubt a better WP is coming to Verizon soon. If so, then that's what return policies are for. 😉

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I sucked it up and got a white Icon too. I doubt a better WP is coming to Verizon soon. If so, then that's what return policies are for. ��

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Good decision. Congratulations! I don't regret my decision one bit. Such an incredible phone.

LCW

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Well decided to pull the trigged and give WP a try... I'm a diehard Apple guy, but wanted to try something different (and a bigger screen, won't lie ;). Tried Android a few times in the past, always ended up fed up after a couple of months if not less. Hopefully WP will be something new and refreshing. I think seeing that 8.1 was on the horizon (hopefully available soon!) and seeing how well the Icon has been received, made me say "why not give it a shake". I had an upgrade available on my vz account, and Amazon has the Icon for 149, so it was an easy sell. Should arrive tomorrow... can't wait to test it out... I always love "new gadget day" lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb