App update woes...

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So this is a common problem with windows phone where updates get stuck or whatever. Anyway I always forget the fix and this one seems to work. The skype update made me remember and I ended up having 9 updates I didn't know about.

Steps from AliGoneMobile: How to Fix Windows Phone App Updates Notifications on Store Live Tile

1. Find any app that has a pending update, and open it in the store do not update the app yet, just make sure your phone registers that there is an update available, then exit the store.
2. Unpin the Store live tile from your start screen
3. Soft reset your phone by holding the volume down and power button together for about ten seconds.- This will NOT delete any of your data.
4. Pin the store tile back to your home screen and wait. (it might take several hours for the first updates to appear, as the store doesn't constantly check for updates).

So for the new Icon owners give it a try.

Tom Gjonaj

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
alright i just tried this. Skype has an update so I was lucky. Now going to wait and see. Does this mean I will get notifications right away now when an update is available? It seems like before it only refreshed updates once a week, which is very annoying.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
alright i just tried this. Skype has an update so I was lucky. Now going to wait and see. Does this mean I will get notifications right away now when an update is available? It seems like before it only refreshed updates once a week, which is very annoying.
With my 822 it was a daily check if there were updates to the apps I have installed on the device. I know on the Icon I get an update for one app yesterday. And just checking now I have 3 one is Skype.

Tom Gjonaj

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
With my 822 it was a daily check if there were updates to the apps I have installed on the device. I know on the Icon I get an update for one app yesterday. And just checking now I have 3 one is Skype.

is there a way to refresh the Microsoft store to show updates or is it basically wait and see

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I think the store checks for updates once a day. Almost every morning, I have updates showing available and I install them. I've never had to go through these steps, but maybe I'm in the minority.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
is there a way to refresh the Microsoft store to show updates or is it basically wait and see
I think it is wait at least one day. I don't think there is any manual update refresh. Of course, you can go to the app you know is updated and do it manually.

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't happen to everyone, I haven't received any updates since the first day I got the phone. I've had to search for an app then update but after doing this I was immediately notified of the 9 updates, 4 were system app updates that I wouldn't have known about.

Tom Gjonaj

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
they definitely need a refresh option at least, or a page that shows all the apps you have downloaded from the store so you can see what needs to be updated.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ynotbike!

I didn't know I was having this issue until I saw your thread title and it made me wonder why I haven't seen any app updates since getting my Icon. Tried it out and it worked!

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely no issues updating apps here. I've currently got 2.69GB of apps and everything has been updated to current. Several updates arrived after a couple of days of having the phone.

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks ynotbike!

I didn't know I was having this issue until I saw your thread title and it made me wonder why I haven't seen any app updates since getting my Icon. Tried it out and it worked!

Glad to help. Maybe we can make this a sticky just for the the 1% of us that are having the issue and those new to WP.

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting, I did it and immediately had 15 updates - been getting tired of manually checking for apps I knew should be updated. Interestingly, my wife's Icon has been getting updates fine while mine has not. So I guess it really is hit and miss... I should have gone with my gut and reset the phone right away, guess I'll probably do it tonight just for fun.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok so this problem isn't just my imagination. I used to receive the app update notification around 2:30-ish but now I don't see if my phone has updates until around 5 or later. Was a bit concerned but happy to see it's not just me. Will try the fix in the OP, thanks!

Marc_With_a_C

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This my first time having issues with updates with my 920 since I got it when it was released. Trying this out. Hope it doesn't become a reoccurring issue.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Only problem is finding an app that needs an update lol. Is there somewhere that lists the daily updates? I know wpcentral does at times, but I don't see any articles yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar