Indoor Photos Suck

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Only thing I noticed is my low light shots are grainy when compared to similar 928 shots, but only when I don't use a flash. If I use the flash, the Icon easily exceeds my 928. Honestly not always a fan of flash and the 928 took amazing photos at night without a flash. Hopefully the Icon will be just as good with some firmware updates. The 1520 also had issues with the camera but mostly with video capturing IIRC. Not sure if that's been fixed, but that too sounded like an issue that could be corrected with an update.

That graininess is due to a high ISO setting. If you leave ISO on auto it will choose the lowest setting needed for proper exposure without a flash and to minimize blurring from camera shake. Most likely the camera chose a setting of 800 or higher. The camera goes up to 6400. The higher the ISO the grainier the photo.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Aperture on a camera is the ratio of the lens opening compared to the focal length. If the focal length of both phones is equal (which they are), the lower number will have a larger opening, meaning it will let in more light.

The larger sensor just means the sensor can capture more detail with the light provided to it. The opening in the icon is physically smaller, so it's letting in less light.

Lens opening or F-stop is ratio of the focal length/aperture in millimeters. Not the other way around. And yes, sensor size does make a difference. A smaller sensor gives you a lower effective F-stop than a larger sensor. The F-stop not only determines the amount of light the camera can gather, it also affects the depth of field. Smaller sensors do not gather light as efficiently as a larger sensor with the same resolution; this becomes a problem in low light situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon