Your recommendation for navigation?

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Navmii looks interesting also, but I still contend that Navigon is the most reliable and function option out right now for the platform.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I use Waze. It's a love/hate relationship because it's taken me through mountains sometimes or into really bad neighborhoods in LA. -__-;

The social features are awesome, where you get notifications if other Wazers spotted a cop or traffic.

I also use Here+ Maps. The GPS version wasn't bad. I liked the speed limit feature of it the most.

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having problems with waze as well. The other day, even though I knew the best way to get to where I was going, I had it give me directions. When I got to an exit that would have been the most direct route, waze was still telling me to take the next exit about 2 miles down the road, and would have been about a 15 min detour.

To make things even worse, when I got off the highway, I knew to take a left, yet my phone told me to take a right. I ignored the phone, but still thought maybe there was a terrible traffic jam that my phone was trying to route me around. Nope, my phone was just confused or trying to get me lost.

Maybe this is all because i'm use the Developers Preview on my Icon?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm curious what navigation app people are using. I've been trying to use here drive, but i'm fed up with it.

Today my phone continued to give me directions that had my son comment "Why are we driving around in circles?" I pulled over to look at the app and I could see that all I had to do was drive a little bit more and then take a left and my destination was straight ahead. I started to drive was ready to take a left where I could see my destination when my phone told me yet again to "take a right and then a right". My wife being an iPhone user told me "Ignore the stupid windows phone." It's hard to depend a phone that continues to give bad directions

It's a fact is the app isn't perfect. It's another fact that it's still better than the options. Sorry you got unlucky, but honestly that's rare.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having problems with waze as well. The other day, even though I knew the best way to get to where I was going, I had it give me directions. When I got to an exit that would have been the most direct route, waze was still telling me to take the next exit about 2 miles down the road, and would have been about a 15 min detour.

To make things even worse, when I got off the highway, I knew to take a left, yet my phone told me to take a right. I ignored the phone, but still thought maybe there was a terrible traffic jam that my phone was trying to route me around. Nope, my phone was just confused or trying to get me lost.

Maybe this is all because i'm use the Developers Preview on my Icon?

It's not WP8.1 DP and it's not necessarily the app or GPS either (or at least. Not completely the app's or GPS's fault). The mapping data is really nothing more than a database of places and coordinates that the app reads from and plots on a map. A favorite camera shop of mine is near an entrance ramp to the H1. However, the map shows it is ON the entrance ramp to the H1. I get the same whether I'm using Google Navigator or Here+ Drive. I've also run into this with other locations and addresses. On the app side, navigation apps are only as good as the data they are using and how well they read the GPS data supplied by the phone. If the app doesn't translate the GPS data correctly or rounds off the locational data by say one or two decimal places, you could easily wind up with a difference of 100 yards or more. In an urban environment that is pretty significant. Finally, the GPS itself can be a factor. If the GPS doesn't have a good fix on enough satellites for whatever reason, its accuracy can be substantially reduced. Again, in urban environment 100 yards is pretty significant.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
... if Here Drive+ will show turn by turn directions after it starts the navigation...
It won't. My biggest gripe. What if you want to look ahead at what it's going to tell you? And the relationship between Bing and Here maps is not solid. I had a bad experience once when I got a route from Bing, verified the route steps there, then went to Here. I didn't verify the route steps again (why would I??) and after Here started I couldn't, but apparently Here calculated a different route for me and not the one I wanted, and I had no way to know.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried Sygic? Is it better than Here Drive+?
Oh, Sygic's out for Windows Phone? That's cool. Now Google will probably buy them just so they can kill off WP development. :winktongue:

On a more serious note, this means I can dump Navigon, Sygic is much more up to date IMO. And it's another reason I won't have to carry around an Android phone for navigation.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I immediately bought the app. Missed it when I was using Symbian.
Now that I know you can use even use google map as POI but use Sygic or Here Drive+ as a voice navigation app, it is really a blessing.
A word of caution, if you depend on this app do not install Windows 10 preview, the app is not compatible, it will just close.

Oh, Sygic's out for Windows Phone? That's cool. Now Google will probably buy them just so they can kill off WP development. :winktongue:

On a more serious note, this means I can dump Navigon, Sygic is much more up to date IMO. And it's another reason I won't have to carry around an Android phone for navigation.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody aware of a navigation app that will tell you if your destination will be coming up on the left/right? This is the only gripe I have with Here Drive+.

I could tell you CoPilot GPS does tell your destination is on the left or right I believe it just started in the last update because I didn't have it before than this week I used it and a box pops up with a arrows and read's your destination is on your left or right. This app has never let me down and it works great.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I could tell you CoPilot GPS does tell your destination is on the left or right I believe it just started in the last update because I didn't have it before than this week I used it and a box pops up with a arrows and read's your destination is on your left or right. This app has never let me down and it works great.

I actually purchased copilot based on this update. Have been using it for about a month now. It's a pretty good navigation program.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3