Problems with phone after 8.1 update....anyone else?

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So after installing the 8.1 OTA update the other week I realized that the new Lumia Camera will not work. It launched for me the first time and I took a few test photos but every other time after trying to start the app shows a black screen and then it crashes back to my home screen. (doesn't matter if started via app icon or camera button). The Lumia Camera Classic app is very laggy (5secs or so before a photo takes), but for some reason the Microsoft Camera works fine.

Also I have tried turning on the new Motion Tracking stuff for step counting in the MSN Health and Fitness App and that doesn't work either.

Last night I did a backup and hard reset via the Windows Phone Recovery Tool and I'm getting the same results. Lumia Camera still won't work and step counting doesn't work. Is anyone else having these problems? Any other genius ideas?

EDIT: uninstalling and reinstalling the apps doesn't make a difference either...

Last edited:

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
you can try a clean install

do not restore a backup when asked and put everything back on manually after doing a hard reset/LSRT and see if that makes a difference

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
working on that now....we'll see.

really frustrated by this. was so excited to finally get 8.1 and denim...i bought this phone solely for the camera and to not be able to use the best camera app is pretty disappointing. i hope this works.

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
it didn't work. ugh.

completely fresh install, did not restore from a backup and still the lumia camera app launches once and then will not start again. this is stupid.

what are my options now? is something wrong with my phone?

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
yea sorry it didn't work all I can tell you is my experience and what I did was skip the OTA completely and used the LSRT to get 8.1.1/Denim

Denim update now available for Lumia Icon through Software Recovery Tool | Windows Central

LSRT and clean install and everything on the phone is working fine and others on these forums have expressed that following the same procedure and their phone is running fine also

maybe a search or asking a question in the MS Mobile Community Lumia forum is another good place to check to try to find some answers to your problem

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
is Lumia Software Recovery Tool different than the Windows phone recovery tool? I have been using that to do my hard resets.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I never have used the windows phone recovery tool myself but my understanding it is used to roll back your phone to 8.1 back from the WP 10 tech preview, try the LSRT to do a clean install and see how that works

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
LSRT did not work either.

I spoke with Verizon customer service and they are sending me a new phone over night bc I am still under warranty. We'll see how the new phone works tomorrow....

I tried to get a different phone as a replacement but they weren't having it lol.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Any other genius ideas?

Before doing a hard reset, try resetting the camera.

Settings > applications > photos+camera > reset camera (it's at the bottom).

Edit: Oops! Looks like I was a day late and a dollar short. Sorry about that. :/

On a side note: Windows Phone Recovery Tool essentially does the same thing as LSRT.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an Icon, but when I downloaded the Denim update on my 1020 all hell broke loose and everything started screwing up (calendar not fully syncing, Photos app not loading photos). Hard resetting and then restoring from backup seemed to solve my issue...well at least so far

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
new phone via warranty replacement is perfect. no idea why the denim update wouldn't work properly on my original icon. oh well. happy now :)

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have two major issues with my Icon post 8.1 denim update:

High temperatures when running many apps - even ones that should not be overly taxing on the hardware like candy crush - battery runs down at a rate of 30-50% an hour. Apps that are more text based like Twitter will still consume up to 15% an hour. Prior to denim on DP these issues existed but were not quite so exaggerated. Same apps and settings as pre-denim. Nothing unexpected running as a background process. Standby and light email use will see about 50% battery gone after 3 hours. On stock 8.0 I could go all day before hitting 50%. DP 8.1 I could go maybe 5-7 hours before hitting 50%.

Wifi randomly stops working until phone is rebooted - fails to see any available SSIDs. Happens multiple times a day, usually when going to work and then back home again - at least that is when I am looking to see if it managed to auto connect only to find no wifi icon. Turning wifi off and back on again does not resolve the issue, a full reboot is required. Prior to denim I had weak but usable signal strength and never even once had to reboot to scan and connect to an available wireless network. So far I have consumed about 1GB more data this month from not being connected to wifi as much as expected.

I used the Lumia Recovery tool to flash denim rather than waiting for the OTA update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3