Could Samsung ditch Android?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think that since Samsung thinks that Android is their OS and Google just so happens to think the same thing, Samsung will slowly move away from Android to Tizen. Just my guess.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not convinced they will move to Tizen. How many apps are available?

They *could* try to use Tizen to improve their negotiating position, but it's hard to see that being very effective.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe Samsung is prepping Tizen to replace Android, since the UI would be similar, and I believe they have an Android app layer so apps won't be a problem. Probably will swap it out in some big coup. Or at least keep it running as some leverage.

If it happened, I don't know if average consumers would notice.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
It could be possible, it seems samsung is putting some effort into tizen. Also at the same time I believe it maybe a slight problem for future customers, mostly galaxy owners though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
All the back and forth, who likes whom, and who did what to whom between companies is rather worthless blabbering that nobody except consumers really care about. At the end, for multi-national corporations, the only thing that counts is money. Samsung and Apple have been taking each other to court for years now, cursing each other at every possible turn, all the while continuing to mutually sign multi billion dollar contracts. Individuals within these corporations might occasionally harbour actual hatred for a competitor, but individuals rarely have enough power to tump the mighty dollar.

My point is that as long as Android remains the money making OS that keeps on giving, Android and Tizen won't be switching places. However, Samsung does have a responsibility towards their share holders to reduce risk, meaning they must diversify and not place all their eggs in just one basket. That alone is reason enough to keep a backup plan like Tizen around and ready to go. The fact that Tizen can also be used as a weapon to gain a better bargaining position in negotiations with Google is an added benefit.

Although Tizen could be made compatible with Android apps, doing so represents a major problem, as members of the open handset alliance are not permitted to build two types of Android device at the same time. Google forces members to choose between either Google-Android, or any other Android variant, but you aren't allowed to do both. That means if Samsung did go Tizen, they'd be forced to give up on Google-Android compatible devices entirely. That is also a huge risk for a company that makes a huge part of their current profits selling Google-Android compatible devices.

No, despite the tech press dressing up such spats as if they were soap operas for men, Samsung won't risk launching Tizen devices, or at least not Android compatible Tizen devices (compatibility would likely be a requirement for them to succeed), unless they feel they are being cornered and have no other choice.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
What would they replace it with? Would they still sell as many phones?

Exactly.

All the back and forth, who likes whom, and who did what to whom between companies is rather worthless blabbering that nobody except consumers really care about. At the end, for multi-national corporations, the only thing that counts is money. Samsung and Apple have been taking each other to court for years now, cursing each other at every possible turn, all the while continuing to mutually sign multi billion dollar contracts. Individuals within these corporations might occasionally harbour actual hatred for a competitor, but individuals rarely have enough power to tump the mighty dollar.

My point is that as long as Android remains the money making OS that keeps on giving, Android and Tizen won't be switching places. However, Samsung does have a responsibility towards their share holders to reduce risk, meaning they must diversify and not place all their eggs in just one basket. That alone is reason enough to keep a backup plan like Tizen around and ready to go. The fact that Tizen can also be used as a weapon to gain a better bargaining position in negotiations with Google is an added benefit.

Although Tizen could be made compatible with Android apps, doing so represents a major problem, as members of the open handset alliance are not permitted to build two types of Android device at the same time. Google forces members to choose between either Google-Android, or any other Android variant, but you aren't allowed to do both. That means if Samsung did go Tizen, they'd be forced to give up on Google-Android compatible devices entirely. That is also a huge risk for a company that makes a huge part of their current profits selling Google-Android compatible devices.

No, despite the tech press dressing up such spats as if they were soap operas for men, Samsung won't risk launching Tizen devices, or at least not Android compatible Tizen devices (compatibility would likely be a requirement for them to succeed), unless they feel they are being cornered and have no other choice.

Spot on re: OHA.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they would. Here in the Philippines, when people mention Android, the first brand that comes to mind is Samsung because it's cheaper compared to Sony, but faster compared to other Android phones available locally.

And looking at how Samsung builds phones, Android is the best option since they seem to continuously build and build new phone models every now and then. Their time frame for new models seem to be so short. I haven't even seen an S4 in the wild yet when they released the S5. If they're gonna continue with that strategy, Android is good for them.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I could see why they might want to move away but it won't be easy. Samsung has bigger problems than Android right now. The just aren't selling very well outside the U.S. Problem is they keep re-inventing the same phone. So far Apple is the only one that could get away with that. By doing that they open themselves up to more comparisons then they should. They have to fight the stigma of a plastic body, not because Apple uses metal, but because small rival HTC does. Samsung is like a great band, once you make a huge hit, another huge hit is all your audience wants. Anything short of that they look elsewhere.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Samsung can afford to drop Google. I could see them trying to de-emphasize their Google Android platform over time, but Samsung has been half-hearted with Windows Phone since the Focus, and I just don't see people lining up at the door to buy Tizen phones.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I was under the impression it looked similar to their Android offerings.

There are a few differences in both. For e.g. Android- With the addition of Material Design User Interface you will be able to experience elements floating on screen, distinguished on the basis of height with the motive of offering a dimensional difference to the interface. While Tizen just got only Obsidian version 2.0. And with new Android 4.5 User experiences have changed to a great deal.

But I surely think that Samsung will push harder and develop Tizen to produce a sizeable challenge, because, Samsung would want to have Tizen integrated with all of its smart electronics.

Attachments

• 6a0120a5580826970c017ee8d61532970d-800wi.jpg
    6a0120a5580826970c017ee8d61532970d-800wi.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4
  • sailfish.jpg
    sailfish.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Tizen-vs-Jolla.jpg
    Tizen-vs-Jolla.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 5
  • google-io-2014-531.jpg
    google-io-2014-531.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 5

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
who cares about them? They were doomed the moment they chose galaxy :p

Samsung Galaxy sIII was the world's most selling Android Smart phone. They were not wrong with that, but later on with S4 and S5 they've lost a ton of confidence from customers. Meanwhile, performance and upgrades are quite slow to their old flagship devices, it has affect consumers. People are not going to buy a product which has lesser chances of getting future updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes