08-18-2014 08:11 AM
31 12
tools
    I watched a program on Netflix from the Discovery Channel called Wildest India.

I know India is a really big country, with a variety of climates and wildlife, but I never knew there is a desert in India.

The episode about the Thar Desert was fascinating. I had no idea it even existed, since it was never mentioned in my geography class in school.
    08-17-2014 02:09 AM
    there is more to learn... I didnt know most of the things in the world.. Even i dont know much about Sea!!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-17-2014 02:13 AM
    I watched a program on Netflix from the Discovery Channel called Wildest India.

I know India is a really big country, with a variety of climates and wildlife, but I never knew there is a desert in India.

The episode about the Thar Desert was fascinating. I had no idea it even existed, since it was never mentioned in my geography class in school.
    That is not surprising, considering that many Indian kids don't know about it's existence, either.
    08-17-2014 02:13 AM
    That is not surprising, considering that many Indian kids don't know about it's existence, either.
    Dont blame kids ;) I get a bit hurt.. LOL
    I knew Thar exists but still dont know about it much :D
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-17-2014 02:19 AM
    Well, the Thar desert is a big desert. And I always studied that in my geography lessons. In one of my lessons, we had a map with all the desert regions of the World and sure enough, there was the Thar (native pronunciation is 'turr') in India and its extensions, the Cholistan and the Thar-parker deserts in Pakistan. It is pretty evident that the arid Western region of India and the Southeastern regions of Pakistan are desert.
    teckris and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-17-2014 02:19 AM
    Well, the Thar desert is a big desert.
    That's why I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in my geography class.
    08-17-2014 02:28 AM
    You missed some assignment too :D
    08-17-2014 02:30 AM
    Reach out to your geography teacher and and ask her why she didn't teach that. :P
    08-17-2014 02:33 AM
    Most[99.99%] of kids know there is a desert 🌵 in India. It's taught in the 5th standard I think....
    Laura Knotek and asharma13 like this.
    08-17-2014 02:37 AM
    I would say what ever Discovery or National Geographic presents, make me wonder if i missed something to see!!
    Last day [on 15th Aug] they showed something about elephants and all. That video was more than decades old but contained so much about Our culture that i felt too happy to see again as most of the essence is lost to the E-World...
    aximtreo, Mach_E and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-17-2014 02:43 AM
    You missed some assignment too :D
    The lessons and textbook were terrible. I had the impression that India only is: cold in the mountains, and hot and humid everywhere else. I had no idea of the diverse climate, due to the geography.

Then again, I thought Seattle, Washington got lots of rain. I found out later, from a friend who lives there, that Seattle gets less rain than I do here in Cleveland, Ohio.
    08-17-2014 02:46 AM
    The lessons and textbook were terrible. I had the impression that India only is: cold in the mountains, and hot and humid everywhere else. I had no idea of the diverse climate, due to the geography.

Then again, I thought Seattle, Washington got lots of rain. I found out later, from a friend who lives there, that Seattle gets less rain than I do here in Cleveland, Ohio.
    Thankfully we are Enlightened by the WorldWideWeb even though our books are cluttered in Webs :D
    08-17-2014 02:49 AM
    I would say what ever Discovery or National Geographic presents, make me wonder if i missed something to see!!
    Last day [on 15th Aug] they showed something about elephants and all. That video was more than decades old but contained so much about Our culture that i felt too happy to see again as most of the essence is lost to the E-World...
    I love elephants! My Windows Phone 8.1 homescreen is an elephant picture. So is my Windows 8.1 lockscreen.

wp_ss_20140817_0001.png

screenshot-59-.png
    08-17-2014 02:56 AM
    Reach out to your geography teacher and and ask her why she didn't teach that. :P
    That teacher has long since retired, since I am 45 years old.
    08-17-2014 02:58 AM
    That teacher has long since retired, since I am 45 years old.

Oh.. Great.. May be she knew You will learn yourself.
    By the way i m just half that age!!
    08-17-2014 03:04 AM
    By the way i m just half that age!!
    I'm a lot younger than that even...
    08-17-2014 03:09 AM
    Dont blame kids ;) I get a bit hurt.. LOL
    I knew Thar exists but still dont know about it much :D
    I blame India's schools and teachers.
    08-17-2014 04:38 AM
    I blame India's schools and teachers.

Dont be rude.. All teachers get blamed what ever they do. Teach well, then kids bored. Teach less Grownup are hurt..

What a wonderful world..
    Mach_E and aximtreo like this.
    08-17-2014 04:58 AM
    Aye, you probably never learned about the fact that the Philippines spent 46 or so years under the Americans, either.

But that's history, not geography!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-17-2014 05:00 AM
    Teachers cannot teach every fact, so they should try and concentrate on teaching children the wish to learn by themselves.

Don't blame the teachers if you don't have an enquiring mind though, some people are happy to know what they need to know, even when that is plainly not enough to actually exist in a world of other people

Bob
    Laura Knotek and sleeve22 like this.
    08-17-2014 05:01 AM
    Dont be rude.. All teachers get blamed what ever they do. Teach well, then kids bored. Teach less Grownup are hurt..

What a wonderful world..
    Huh? I have an economics teacher who is a fantastic teacher, and somehow gets everyone interested in the topics. Not only that, he somehow explains things really well.

Besides, we kick out teachers who don't teach. We actually hate those who don't teach (or do a **** poor job at doing so) for it.
    08-17-2014 05:02 AM
    Now that you all mention it, I remember I haven't seen the Tv in almost a decade. Are Nat Geo, Discovery, Animal Planet and History Channel still rerunning their shows like they did few years back? Did they change the shows?
    God they were so boring when you had to watch the same show every few days...
    08-17-2014 05:15 AM

India, admittedly has one of the most diverse climates. You go towards the peninsular regions you can see the extensive climatic gradients.

Where I live, it has been raining like crazy for the past few weeks, come winter it regularly hits 0C and summers ~48C.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    08-17-2014 05:18 AM
    Now that you all mention it, I remember I haven't seen the Tv in almost a decade. Are Nat Geo, Discovery, Animal Planet and History Channel still rerunning their shows like they did few years back? Did they change the shows?
    God they were so boring when you had to watch the same show every few days...
    Unfortunately, it's still the same.
    Laura Knotek, hs k and teckris like this.
    08-17-2014 07:18 AM
    Geography is fascinating! I'd like it if people learned the difference between the UK and England. I just can't explain it anymore. :(
    Laura Knotek and hs k like this.
    08-17-2014 07:26 AM
31 12